CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Cruise to Cuba???? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/377776-cruise-cuba.html)

alswagg October 29th, 2010 09:19 AM

Cruise to Cuba????
 
I really want to go to Cuba, I understand we cannot fly to Cuba from a US airport. Can we Cruise to Cuba, with a stop prior? I find this island very intreging somehow. I believe the people to be very nice, however the existing government is still somewhat not. Any thoughts?

Lakers Fan October 29th, 2010 09:43 AM

There are other ways of getting to Cuba such as from Canada .

Donna October 29th, 2010 10:25 AM

I too truly hope that someday we Americans can visit cuba, either by air or boat. Time will tell. I understand it is a beautiful island in some parts, a real touristy kind of place. On the other hand, with the government the way it is, I just wonder how safe it would be. I don't think we'll be able to visit anytime soon, until it is considered safe for everyone.

Ron October 29th, 2010 11:03 AM

I've always wanted to go to Cuba. I don't want to get onto politics but to ignore a country this large on our doorstep, regardless of the communist Gov. is a little much. We don't ignore China-- but then there's not several million Chinese that can vote for some our our illustrious leaders in D.C.
I wouldn't be overly concerned about crime. It's probably much safer than going to a lot of touristy places here in the U.S.
Hopefully in the next few years we will have some people in congress that will open their eyes to the fact that --yes, there is a Cuba and it's very , very close to the U.S.

Lakers Fan October 29th, 2010 11:28 AM

If we can travel to Indonesia we should be able to travel to Cuba if we so desire .

blueliner October 29th, 2010 01:40 PM

It is still against the law for a US citizen to travel to Cuba for commercial reasons (including leisure travel) without prior permission of the US State Department. The US government recently relaxed the rules to allow citizens and residents of the US with relatives in Cuba to travel to Cuba for personal reasons.

Even if you tried to go through Canada or somewhere else, when you did return to the US with a Cuba stamp in your passport, you'd get in some trouble with US Border Control.

Ron October 29th, 2010 03:33 PM

I know there's ways around it but it could cause some problems as you say. I may be wrong but I think it's against our laws to spend U.S. money there or change U.S. money there, even if you did go.
Personally I think it's really silly but hey-- I'm not in charge.
It's the politicos in D.C that don't want to lose the Cuban votes in Fla. that keep the outdated embargo in place.
That's what I meant earlier when I said we don't ignore China because the politicians don't run the risk of losing a few million Chinese votes.
Someday in the not too distant future it will definitely come back to haunt this country that they have kept this useless action up against Cuba for so long.But what the heck--maybe I'm wrong and the brilliant ones in D.C are absolutely right. Yeah, sure ! ;)

Lakers Fan October 29th, 2010 05:33 PM

In theory people in a democratic society should be allowed to travel anywhere

Manuel October 29th, 2010 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry43 (Post 1325928)
If we can travel to Indonesia we should be able to travel to Cuba if we so desire .


Amen to that!

TM



Manuel October 29th, 2010 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry43 (Post 1325977)
In theory people in a democratic society should be allowed to travel anywhere

I agree with that also.


If I was allowed to travel to Vietnam, why not Cuba?

TM

Donna October 29th, 2010 09:10 PM

You are so right Henry...

Ron October 29th, 2010 10:07 PM

Good way to look at it Manuel. And if you remember , we didn't even have to have a passport, birth certificate, voters card or moms permission to go there either!
Wasn't that grand ?? ;) ;)

Lakers Fan October 29th, 2010 10:18 PM

America needs a President who is not a politician

jlauntz October 29th, 2010 10:37 PM

It seems that we have strayed from the original post. I would very much like to travel to Cuba, I was stationed there in the navy in 1967-68.
Now for my political B.S. " If a person choses to be president they should be disallowed. The office should go to a qualified individual who doesn't choose to run and one the people really want in office"

Lakers Fan October 30th, 2010 12:37 PM

That is utopia .

Phil&Liz October 30th, 2010 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry43 (Post 1325977)
In theory people in a democratic society should be allowed to travel anywhere

This supposes that we, as Americans, should be allowed to travel wherever we wish. Abit presumptuous on our part don't you think?

I wonder, tho, if it should not be the decision of the receiving country who they let into their country?

Canada has pretty strict rules on who enters. You can be denied entry if you have a DUI.

TruckerD October 30th, 2010 05:57 PM

The San Francisco Chronicle had an article a few months back (or maybe a year or now, I forget) about traveling to Cuba. They told you exactly how to do it. You can fly direct from Mexico City or Panama City (the two I remember off the top of my head) and they said that Cuba wont even stamp your passport. They (Cuba) know the drill and just want visitors to spend cash. They also suggested exchanging US dollars for Euros or something before hand to avoid the "crime" of spending US currency in Cuba.

If my level of Spanish wasn't just below "crappy" I would be hopping a direct flight to Panama City for a long "weekend".

Lakers Fan October 30th, 2010 08:23 PM

You missed my point
 
[QUOTE=Phil&Liz;1326123]This supposes that we, as Americans, should be allowed to travel wherever we wish. Abit presumptuous on our part don't you think?

Any person from any country wishing to vacation in another country should not be barred because of politics

Phil&Liz October 30th, 2010 08:49 PM

[QUOTE=Henry43;1326156]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil&Liz (Post 1326123)
This supposes that we, as Americans, should be allowed to travel wherever we wish. Abit presumptuous on our part don't you think?

You missed my point
Any person from any country wishing to vacation in another country should not be barred because of politics

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry43 (Post 1325977)
In theory people in a democratic society should be allowed to travel anywhere

Perhaps. Maybe it was the part about democratic society I keyed on. Now that it is any country...wellll.

sistagoldenhair October 31st, 2010 09:08 AM

Doesnt anyone remember the Cuban Missle Crisis in 1962? America isn't ignoring Cuba, there is a trade embaro in place. Castro wasnt "elected" president - he ousted the govermnent via military coup, so it's not like the people of Cuba had a choice.

I hope his brother Raul Castro who has been appointed by Fidel to take over the dictatorship will some day work with the US to allow Americans to travel to Cuba. There was an article in the Havana Journal in March of 2009 that mentions travel may someday soon be allowed.

I've seen the island from cruises I've been on that pass by there, and it looks so beautiful!!! I would love to cruise there.

Lakers Fan October 31st, 2010 10:29 AM

Very true ,however
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sistagoldenhair (Post 1326229)
Doesnt anyone remember the Cuban Missle Crisis in 1962? America isn't ignoring Cuba, there is a trade embaro in place. Castro wasnt "elected" president - he ousted the govermnent via military coup, so it's not like the people of Cuba had a choice.

I hope his brother Raul Castro who has been appointed by Fidel to take over the dictatorship will some day work with the US to allow Americans to travel to Cuba. There was an article in the Havana Journal in March of 2009 that mentions travel may someday soon be allowed.

I've seen the island from cruises I've been on that pass by there, and it looks so beautiful!!! I would love to cruise there.

There are many right wing dictatorship countries where the US government has never had a problem with Americans vacationing there .

jlauntz October 31st, 2010 11:14 AM

We trade with, well, "owe our ass " to China, a communist regime. Just because the leadership of Cuba Chose to align with the then Soviet Union and allow missle placement on their island, we placed an embargo on Cuba. Cuba was affraid of an impending attack from the U.S., does anyone remember the " Bay of Pigs?" Did we not place missles all over europe because we were affraid of invasion of our allies from the Soviet Union, seems like it was Quid pro quo to me. We seem to have forgiven North Vietnam, The former Soviet Union,and a meriad of others. I say "Forget our long held bias and allow us to traver freely to Cuba"

Ron October 31st, 2010 12:36 PM

jlauntz, you're absolutley correct--we owe our soul and arse to China. What's going to happen when they call due all the money we owe them?? :confused:
And as someone who was just one of the 3 million plus who went to Vietnam, it irks me that we did what we did, lost what we lost and now we snuggle up with them, because they are no political threat to the powers in D.C. :mad:
As I said, it's all politics. There's several hundred thousand Cubans in Fla. and with that many votes they can sway an election, even a Presidential election so no one has the "you know whats " to stand up--afraid of making the Fla. voters mad and losing an election.
But, with Castro's brother in charge, it seems to be loosening up some and hopefully in the next few years our brilliant leaders will have the backbone to quit ignoring Cuba.
The problem is not with the Cuban people nor the American people--it's with our anointed ones in D.C.
But, I'll quit the subject as sooner or later it will be pulled for becoming too political--don't know about the rest of you folks but here in my fair city and state I can't wait until the election is over Tuesday. I'm so sick and tired of all the crap slinging commercials on t.v. It's beyond ridiculous.
I wish no one would win--all we do is either keep the same loafers on the public payroll or either replace them with someone else who turns out to be worse or at the least as bad.
Here's to all the future cruises to Cuba !! :D:D

Manuel October 31st, 2010 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron (Post 1326268)
jlauntz, Here's to all the future cruises to Cuba !! :D:D

Amen to that.

I would love to cruise to Cuba.

TM

Lakers Fan October 31st, 2010 02:04 PM

Me thinks my post was removed

Dave Beers October 31st, 2010 03:43 PM

This isn't a democratic society. It is a constitutional republic. Big difference. You will not find the word 'democracy' anywhere in the U.S. Constitution. Sorry, but I hate it when people call the U.S. a democracy. It simply isn't so.

I'd like to visit Cuba too, but I am not going to do it by sneaking around. I'll do it when the U.S. government says it is legal. But, I have a security clearance to maintain and can't afford to jeopardize it.

Aerogirl October 31st, 2010 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry43 (Post 1326021)
America needs a President who is not a politician

;-) isn't that the truth!

Lakers Fan October 31st, 2010 08:40 PM

November 2
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerogirl (Post 1326311)
;-) isn't that the truth!

In my area there are several non politicians running for office .

Kamloops Cruiser October 31st, 2010 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueliner (Post 1325952)
It is still against the law for a US citizen to travel to Cuba for commercial reasons (including leisure travel) without prior permission of the US State Department. The US government recently relaxed the rules to allow citizens and residents of the US with relatives in Cuba to travel to Cuba for personal reasons.

Even if you tried to go through Canada or somewhere else, when you did return to the US with a Cuba stamp in your passport, you'd get in some trouble with US Border Control.

As a Canadian I have traveled to Cuba. The visa is stamped on a piece of
paper and then you return it when you leave . Therefore no record.:-P

sistagoldenhair October 31st, 2010 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlauntz (Post 1326258)
We trade with, well, "owe our ass " to China, a communist regime. Just because the leadership of Cuba Chose to align with the then Soviet Union and allow missle placement on their island, we placed an embargo on Cuba. Cuba was affraid of an impending attack from the U.S., does anyone remember the " Bay of Pigs?" Did we not place missles all over europe because we were affraid of invasion of our allies from the Soviet Union, seems like it was Quid pro quo to me. We seem to have forgiven North Vietnam, The former Soviet Union,and a meriad of others. I say "Forget our long held bias and allow us to traver freely to Cuba"

That's right.... Cuba "chose to algn with the Soviet Union"....so why question why the embargo is in place??


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1