CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Lunch in the dining room (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/377825-lunch-dining-room.html)

Julia2011 November 1st, 2010 02:05 PM

Lunch in the dining room

Hi everyone, Just a question~~I was just wondering if many of you eat in the dining room at lunch time. In the past we only went to the buffet. Is it worth going to the dining room?

cruised1014 November 1st, 2010 03:20 PM

Lunch in dining room

It all depends on if you want to sit and chat for a hour and a half. The food is the same expept that you are being served. Most ships fill tables with 10-14 people and then take your orders. But it is a great time to meet lot's of other people that you may not meet otherwise, Have a grat cruise, Ed

dhudd November 1st, 2010 03:28 PM

We've been on 5 different cruises and we never have. We gruise again in 5 days and this time we'll give it a shot.

rsumrow79 November 1st, 2010 03:52 PM

We love to eat in the dining room for lunch, as well as breakfast. They have a different menu everyday, normally themed, and the food is not the same as the buffett. It will normally take about an hour, that includes appetizer, soup/salad, entree and dessert. We have always been sat at tables of 4. When we cruised with my parents they gave us our own table. We have also been sat with another couple when it was just the 2 of us. We highly recemend you give it a try. We rarely eat the buffett for lunch or breakfast anymore. Enjoy your trip!

Randy and Heather

MrPete November 2nd, 2010 01:23 PM

3 factors for us:

Is it open?

Do we have the time?

Does the menu have one of our favorites on it?

Julia2011 November 2nd, 2010 01:54 PM

This cruise our son will be 17, more time on our hands and not a big hurry this time around. On the Victory he was quite abit younger and we had to plan everything. An hour for lunch just didn't seem to work out back then. Cant wait to try it!

Thanks for all the advice everyone! :)

BigStickKenobi November 2nd, 2010 05:00 PM

We never do the dining room for our cruises, but after reading this post, I think we will try it on the next one.

Cruznut2 November 2nd, 2010 07:52 PM

I did the dining room a lot during my recent Liberty cruise. I enjoyed it. I did the buffet once and tried the different venues. Not enough days in a 7 day cruise to try everthing!!

Laura

Bob M November 2nd, 2010 09:49 PM

We enjoy doing the dinning room as much as possible...
You get to meet different folks as mentioned...
You can always do the buffet for snacks...
And of course theirs always the Pizza ..LOL

zydecocruiser November 3rd, 2010 02:38 AM

I think most of those who condemn the MDR for lunch have never tried the MDR for lunch.

In general, one MDR is open for lunch only during sea days, so while in port is moot.

While open seating, you can state you want a table or one, or two, or whatever. All members should be present.

some lunch menus can be found here:
Carnival Spirit Menus - April 11 - April 22, 2010, B, L

Julia2011 November 3rd, 2010 09:40 AM

Zydecocruiser,

Thanks for sharing all the wonderful pics, I just love all your posts. :)

skymaster November 3rd, 2010 06:00 PM

We "do" the main dining room for breakfast and lunch anytime it's open. We enjoy being served, the variety of food offered, and visiting with others who are very often seated at the table with us. We also find that by eating in the main dining room, we tend to EAT LESS than if we go to the Lido Buffet, where everything looks good, and MUST be tried! ;)

"SKY"

Julia2011 November 4th, 2010 10:11 AM

I never even thought about breakfast in the dining room.... So many choices, so little time!
Looking forward to the Liberty March 2011.. :)

venice November 4th, 2010 08:44 PM

on the last sea day we have lunch in the Silver Dining Room on the Carnival Liberty and enjoyed it greatly..very nice leisurely lunch and a nice change from the lido deck and the crowds (of course we missed the first 30 minutes of Incognito's performance with Maysa)

an illusionist performed some really neat magic tricks at our table

jlauntz November 4th, 2010 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruised1014 (Post 1326497)
It all depends on if you want to sit and chat for a hour and a half. The food is the same expept that you are being served. Most ships fill tables with 10-14 people and then take your orders. But it is a great time to meet lot's of other people that you may not meet otherwise, Have a grat cruise, Ed

I agree, it's a great way to meet other cruisers. You should try it once, you may really enjoy it, especially if you are an extrovert.

Nothin but blue skies November 6th, 2010 11:27 PM

While we always have dinner in the MDR, we alternate breakfast/lunch between buffet and MDR, depending on how the mood strikes us that day. When I have a good breakfast I usually just have a salad for lunch to save room for dinner.

On Carnival, a menu is posted outside the dining room for the breakfast, lunch and dinner menu of the day so you can always run up and see ahead of time what they are having for lunch and dinner. Breakfast fare is the same each day.