Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 6th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Beginner

Default western carribean 1st cruise

booked cruise out of port canaveral on carnival dream to cozumel, costa maya, isla roatan and belize in may. any advice would be helpful. what excursions to take should i book through carnival or through internet? We are couple in our mid 40's. We are excited
Sponsored Links
Old November 7th, 2010, 04:52 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Since this is your first cruise, I would book through Carnival. You can pre-book them on their web-site.

Congrats on your first cruise!

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 7th, 2010, 08:34 AM
First Mate

Hi Jerry - welcome to CruiseMates. I have heard wonderful things about Roatan. The island was just "re-done" with new shops and a ski - lift that takes you to the beach. It's been years since I've been there - but I'm dying to go back and check out the new Roatan!

I'm booked on the dream sailing 1-15-2010 going to the Eastern Carribean. I can't wait to see how beautiful the ship is. I'm in one of the Cove Balconies - wooohoooo!.

Write back and let us know how you liked the ship and you first cruise experience.
CARNIVAL BREEZE 1-13-2013
Old November 8th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Familiar Face

Definitely for Roatan. Have fun!

Roatan Excursion

Carnival Sensation 2004
Carnival Inspiration 2006

Old November 9th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Admiral

I would go with the ship excursions since it's a first cruise. In Cozumel, the inland trip to the ancient ruins at Tulum is a wonderful excursion.
Old November 9th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Beginner

In Roatan, I highly reccommend Bodden Tours. We paid $40.00 each for our own private tour and you can add things on, like the Monkey Farm, or time at the Beach, or any number of things. They were great! You do have to leave Carnival's Port and walk a little bit to get where they can pick you up, but it truly is worth it!!
Old November 17th, 2010, 06:39 AM
Passenger

Has anyone done the amazing cozumel race? Sounds interesting, just wondering what others thought of it? thanks
Old November 23rd, 2010, 02:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

We just got back from a 2-week cruise including the Western side.

In Costa Maya, we went through the pier area where there are shops and a large pool and rented a golf cart for 4 people. We paid $50 for the day however, I hear that it can be negotiated lower depending on the day and the number of carts available.

We drove the cart on our own from the pier over to the small beach-front town of Majahual (ma-ha-wall) which is only 10 minutes away. We cruised along the beach on the cart and went about 5 miles past the town enjoying the view. We stopped at a local day-spa and had drinks, then headed back to Majahual to their beach. There are tons of bars, restaurants, etc. right on the beach front streets. Our wives got 1/2 hour massages on the beach for only $10 each. I went snorkeling off the beach. Great food was available and the Corona's were only $10 for a bucket of 5.

In Roatan we took a bus from the pier to the West Bay and stayed the day at the San Simon Day-Resort. They provided us with roundtrip transportation, beach chairs (or beach beds), changing rooms, restrooms, etc. for $25 per person. The cost for a taxi was $20 pp. There is a bar, restaurant and massage services available at the resport and it was very nice.

-jim
Old December 20th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Familiar Face

Thumbs up

Bay Island Airways Seaplane tour, Roatan, Honduras

Seaplane tour in Roatan, a bunch of fun!

My trip on the Carnival Dream Western Itinerary

My trip report for the Western Caribbean on the Carnival Dream, along with the tours I took.

My blog also has some more pics in it but you will have to scroll down to find those entries