CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   fire on the Splendor (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/377986-fire-splendor.html)

nlb1050 November 8th, 2010 07:25 PM

fire on the Splendor

I just read this:

Update on Carnival Splendor|Carnival Cruise Lines News

The cruise is being terminated and they are trying to get back to Long Beach.

Trip November 8th, 2010 07:39 PM

I just read about this:( Boy, it lasted quite a while, how scary!!

briguy November 8th, 2010 07:40 PM

Ive heard rumours the ship wont be sailing for awhile. Engine fires are bad. Lots of related problems can occur. Too bad for the passengers who got less than one day of their vacation. Next weeks folks are out of luck too.

nlb1050 November 8th, 2010 07:41 PM

and one thing that makes this worse to me is that they just had thier Coast Guard inspection on Sunday and passed, don't know what score.

Cruznut2 November 8th, 2010 07:48 PM

What a shame. That is such bad luck for those that were on that cruise. I hope that Carnival will be able to rectify the problems.

Laura

Phil&Liz November 8th, 2010 08:11 PM

I just read it, too. I thought it strange that there was no blog by now. I went to FB and found the posting from Mary at HQ.

Certainly the pax get full refunds and % off next sailing. Hope they can get flight changes and lodging in LB when they return.

Yes, they did just pass USCG on Sunday. It held up their embarkation when the CG wanted a generator test. That meant the elevators didn't work for about a half hour.

Now, in hindsight, it is good they tested the generators. They sure need them now.

Manuel November 8th, 2010 09:01 PM

I'm happy that there no serious injuries. It's one thing to lose out on a cruise, but a loss of life would have been very sad.

TM

superkid November 9th, 2010 12:16 AM

I just heard from the carnival website that tugboats will tow the splendor to Ensenada Mexico in an effort to get the guests home as quickly as possible.

Mike M November 9th, 2010 12:04 PM

It's good to hear that there was no loss of life or injuries. I feel for the people on board. It sounds like they went without running water and toilets for a while. At least now they have running cold water and toilets. Having no air conditioning is a bummer. It will get warm in those inside cabins.

I look forward to hearing from those on board.

Take care,
Mike

Ninnyshelly November 9th, 2010 12:25 PM

My family is supposed to go on the Splendor Dec 12-19. Does anyone have any idea how this will impact cruisers in the next few weeks? I'm already stressing about this!

blueliner November 9th, 2010 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninnyshelly (Post 1327978)
My family is supposed to go on the Splendor Dec 12-19. Does anyone have any idea how this will impact cruisers in the next few weeks? I'm already stressing about this!

There is really no way to know right now how many cruises this will effect. Until Carnival gets the ship into port and a proper assessment can be done of the damage and how long it will take to fix, there is just no way to know yet. Carnival will notify you if there is a change, I'm sure they will be updating their website with info on the affected cruises. Good Luck!

green_rd November 9th, 2010 02:16 PM

What a rude wake up call and right at the beginning of the cruise.

The AP is reporting that the cruisers will be given a full refund and a free future cruise - I am sure Carnival is taking care of all other arrangements as well.

Skywench November 9th, 2010 02:19 PM

Such a shame for all those passengers on board. I feel for the crew having to deal with this as well. I was just on the Splendor two weeks ago and had a wonderful cruise.

Mike M November 9th, 2010 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninnyshelly (Post 1327978)

Ninny,

This is something that all of will have to take a "wait and see" approach to. Until it gets into port and a full assessment of damage and subsequent repairs can be done there is no idea how long she will be out of commission.

If you don't sail I personally believe Carnival will do a good job of compensating you for the canceled cruise.

Did you have insurance? If so then you have no worries about the monetary loss.

Hopefully it will be a quick fix and she's back on the sea in short order.

Take care,
Mike

Ninnyshelly November 9th, 2010 02:53 PM

Thanks Scott and Mike! I did get travel insurance through Costco, who we used to book the cruise tickets. I wouldn't be so concerned except this is our first family vacation since my son was born and travelling with a 16 month old is stressful enough. I can't imagine being stranded without hot water and hot food. Yikes! Guess I'll just have to hurry up and wait. . .

Lakers Fan November 9th, 2010 04:03 PM

In 1973 we were supposed to sail on the Amerikanis but a fire aboard ship on the prior cruise caused our TA to offer the Cunard Ambassador cruise instead .

briguy November 9th, 2010 06:01 PM

I think what will happen if they have to cancel some upcoming cruises and they most certainly will, Carnival will probably offer to fully paid guests the option of full refund regardless of cancellation window or they will offer to rebook them to a future cruise at a discount. Even if you dont have insurance you wont lose money at least as far as the cruise itelf goes. Air and hotel may be a different story. My uneducated guess says minimum 3 weeks out of service.

Rev22:17 November 9th, 2010 06:34 PM

Nancy,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You (Post 1327819)
I just read this:

Update on Carnival Splendor|Carnival Cruise Lines News

The cruise is being terminated and they are trying to get back to Long Beach.

This is one of the most dangerous situations imaginable at sea.

>> 1. When you have a fire aboard ship, there is no good escape. It's very fortunate that the crew was able to put out the fire.

>> 2. But the fire left the ship "dead in the water," adrift, completely at the mercy of the tides, the currents, the winds, and the shoals.

And if the fire had forced the passengers to abandon ship, I wonder if the crew would have been able to lower the ship's lifeboats. The lifeboat davits normally operate on the ship's electrical power, which apparently was out completely during the fire.

The complete loss of electrical power also does not make sense to me. Most ships of any size have generators and main distribution buses located both forward and aft, so it's possible to open the cross-connect breakers very quickly to isolate the buses affected by the fire and then to restore normal electricity to the rest of the ship. They also supply power to vital equipment, such as the ship's navigation systems, from two vital buses equipped with automatic bus transfers connected to different pairs of distribution buses in a manner that minimizes the probability of an interruption in a casualty. The fact that so many systems were down for so long is really beyond belief.

Norm.

Rev22:17 November 9th, 2010 06:39 PM

briguy,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You (Post 1327828)
Ive heard rumours the ship wont be sailing for awhile.

It depends what was actually damaged. If they have to replace main electrical cabling, buses, and breakers, she will miss several cruises. If they have to rewind generators, that could take a couple months. If they have to replace prime movers, the work could take several months -- or even longer if there's a delay in procuring the replacements.

Of course, right now we're speculating. We don't know which components have been damaged or how extensively, and neither does the cruise line.

Norm.

Trip November 9th, 2010 06:47 PM

Photos: USS Ronald Reagan sails to aid of disabled Carnival Splendor - USATODAY.com

I am sure the help of the USS Ronald Reagan, will make everyone on board very happy.

Phil&Liz November 9th, 2010 07:19 PM

Bravo Zulu to the Navy !

Mike M November 9th, 2010 08:04 PM

Good job Navy!

I wonder how the passengers are enjoying their MRE's, Sara Lee Croissants and Spam. :D If it's all you got it's a feast.

I wonder if they've ran out liquor? ;)

Take care,
Mike

Trip November 9th, 2010 08:23 PM

The ice buckets may come in handy...I am a bad girl...:(

Manuel November 9th, 2010 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike M (Post 1327974)
. Having no air conditioning is a bummer. It will get warm in those inside cabins.

Mike

Another good reason to have a cabin with a balcony.

TM

worthew8 November 9th, 2010 08:44 PM

:D Good one, Trip. I hope it's mandatory all pax have passports now, since they're being towed to Mexico. It would stink to not be able to get back to your home country.

sistagoldenhair November 9th, 2010 09:41 PM

Can Carny continue to serve booze if the food is in limited supply? That would make drinking more dangerous, in my opinion, especially with folks that are already upset. Imagine hungry angry drunks on board? YIKES.

I feel bad for the crew also - they are loosing out on tips. Probably the least of anyone's problems at this point. But a weeks lost tips is going to impact the crew alot. I hope Carny will add some sort of "bonus" to compensate them. :confused:

I wonder how many first time cruisers are on board that will NEVER book another cruise?

The Splendor is our fav Carny ship to date - (sailing the Dream in Jan 2011, which may change things)....what a shame this had to happen.

Will the price go up once the ship is repaired?

Trip November 9th, 2010 09:58 PM

Just read this: Disabled Carnival ship shows how vulnerable mega-vessels can be - Wire - Lifestyle - bellinghamherald.com

Mike M November 10th, 2010 12:19 AM

Yes: They go right to the most biased cruise entities out there: ICV, CruiseBS and Mark Gaouette. Gaouettes book was so much BS that I had to stop reading it half-way through because of the inaccuracies and sensationalism.

This will be a black-eye on the cruise industry but I will reserve any judgment until the facts come out. The fire was compartmentalized and did not spread but it did take out the power systems.

Take care,
Mike

Thoth November 10th, 2010 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 1328060)
The ice buckets may come in handy...I am a bad girl...:(

and I'm a bad boy :twisted:
I'm curious as to what they did when the toilets quit. 3300 pax and over 1000 crew and no working bathrooms ?
Thankful, I understand they are now working.

Thoth November 10th, 2010 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev22:17 (Post 1328042)
Nancy,

This is one of the most dangerous situations imaginable at sea.

>> 1. When you have a fire aboard ship, there is no good escape. It's very fortunate that the crew was able to put out the fire.

>> 2. But the fire left the ship "dead in the water," adrift, completely at the mercy of the tides, the currents, the winds, and the shoals.

And if the fire had forced the passengers to abandon ship, I wonder if the crew would have been able to lower the ship's lifeboats. The lifeboat davits normally operate on the ship's electrical power, which apparently was out completely during the fire.

The complete loss of electrical power also does not make sense to me. Most ships of any size have generators and main distribution buses located both forward and aft, so it's possible to open the cross-connect breakers very quickly to isolate the buses affected by the fire and then to restore normal electricity to the rest of the ship. They also supply power to vital equipment, such as the ship's navigation systems, from two vital buses equipped with automatic bus transfers connected to different pairs of distribution buses in a manner that minimizes the probability of an interruption in a casualty. The fact that so many systems were down for so long is really beyond belief.

Norm.

You make interesting points Norm. :-?