Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 18th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Admiral

Sometimes we get too serious and have to have a little humor-- heed Rev's advice--there's many, many folks who do die in bed--especially if they are caught there with someone else spouse !!
Old November 22nd, 2010, 03:35 PM
First Mate

Not to add fuel to this topic, but I recently did a search on reported cruise ship fires and did note the vast majority of them are related to Carnival. Now I completely understand that Carnival does have more ships in their fleet than other lines, but the percentage I reviewed just seemed high. The last cruise ship fire that really made the media was also Carnival in the late 90's off the coast of FL when the laundry room went up. Hopefully the line is learning from these past errors to increase preventative measures, but the number of fires per ship does appear to be Carnival by the largest percentage.

Cruise Ship Fires - Cruise Ship Fires With Injuires Or Deaths - Cruise Ship Fires At Sea Or Port
Old November 22nd, 2010, 03:50 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

FWIW - I do think that can just be an anomaly. The fires Carnival has had 9until Splendor) were small and not serious at all. One ws on the rope deck and probably the result of a person smoking, and the other was a welding job where a spark lit something.

Other ships have had fires; Princess, Norwegian Epic had several setbacks in the shipyard including two fires, one of them serious enough to set the ship back by a week.

Fire at sea is a very bad thing - but when you are dealing with such a complicated machine - an electrical plant, engines, smoking passengers, etc, it is bound to happen once in awhile. The more important point is how it is handled after the fact.

Old November 23rd, 2010, 10:35 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by viv26 View Post
I found out today 2 friends of mine were on the ship, can't wait to speak with them get the story right from them, NOT THE MEDIA!
Cruise ships are so big now you are lucky if you see people you meet more than once, most of the people are familes or couples; average age 42 on Carnival, you do not have the same dinner mates every night unless you choose to (only about 25% of cruisers still want traditional dining) and you have several alternatives to the dining room every night on the vast majority of cruise ships.

Last edited by Donna; November 23rd, 2010 at 11:31 AM. Reason: removed hyper link
Old November 25th, 2010, 01:36 AM
Admiral

What the media was looking for is....
"I hate cruising"
"I'll NEVER take another ship"
What they got was basically..." They took good care of us"
"Well at least we get a free cruise out of the deal"
We people who cruise tend to be the glass half full type and develop a certain loyalty to Carnival and other lines. Me personally...Carnival has my sympathy concerning this bad fortune.
I was on the Splendor back in April and feel confident that she will be 100% fixed.

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews
/ticker.png">
Old November 26th, 2010, 11:38 PM
Familiar Face

Nothing quite like a media circus is there?

And when it comes to vacations, the media love to beat up on cruising.