Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 24th, 2010, 02:51 AM
Familiar Face

Default Miracle, one man calypso - unacceptable

Hi,

I have been reading many reviews about the Carnival Miracle, saying that the calypso duo was replaced with a one man calypso musician. Cruisers have been saying that this ruined the cruise pool daytime atmosphere and was simply terrible.

It was an unfortunate downgrade when the calypso bands were replaced with the duos, and we were assured that the calypso bands would never be less than a duo. John assured readers on the blog that there are at least calypso duos on every ship including the Miracle, and that hopefully carnival will bring back the full bands soon. Anyway, recent Miracle cruisers have stated that there was indeed a one man calypso musician instead of a duo and that it was awful.

Is there anyone who can address this, so hopefully we can see the calypso band or at least duo that we were promised aboard the Miracle for our cruise in a couple of weeks. Hopefully Carnival can address this now as it has voided a promise and also disappointed many, before it continues to upset many more.
Sponsored Links
Old November 24th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I would hope, if enough people complained, they may change it back to a group or at least a duo....It may just be one area they tried to make cut backs...

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 24th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Passenger

We just returned from the Conquest and it had a Calypso duo. But get this...it had a full "latin band" and another full band that played a variety of "Country music songs and rock." It also had at least 2 other solo performers and another generic duo. It did not make any sense. Why cut back on what is played out by the pool and keep full bands that played only along the Promenade?? A lot of things on our cruise did not make sense...
Old November 24th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I agree Caribbean, a steel drum band by the pool is fun, and hopefully you will be able to enjoy some live music, [a duo] by the pool. But don't let this spoil your cruise.Are people really that upset over this? Unacceptable, really ???

Load up an Ipod, with some great Caribbean songs just in case.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old November 24th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Passenger

I think for those trying to be objective are noticing that cutbacks in the "live" entertainment is just a sign that they are trying to skimp on things that actually help others have a good time and are NOT cutting back on things that are more "revenue producing" such as photo-ops and Bingo. Live bands get people up and moving and "involved" in the music more so than some recorded music track. It is part of the "cruise experience" that some of us have enjoyed for a while now.

If cruise lines, like Carnival, want to make cuts, why not cut out things like art auctions at sea or the MANY bingo games which require at least 3 staff members to supervise etc.
Old November 24th, 2010, 01:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeshpdog2 View Post
We just returned from the Conquest and it had a Calypso duo. But get this...it had a full "latin band" and another full band that played a variety of "Country music songs and rock." It also had at least 2 other solo performers and another generic duo. It did not make any sense. Why cut back on what is played out by the pool and keep full bands that played only along the Promenade?? A lot of things on our cruise did not make sense...
Makes perfect sense to me. That's really what the majority now prefer. The Calypso duo are really better as that allows for more acts. Since they have the big screen they have cut back on the outdoor live entertainment and weather and other scheduled events cut back on the available time on deck.

They have really not cut back at all, it is just different. Basically they have x number of cabins for the on board entertainers and they are still using the full allotment, but booking more duos and solos so that they can have a wider variety of music. Don't forget the magician on the Conquest too.

Calypso isn't as popular as it once was and is much harder to find in the Caribbean. As Trip said, I have my iPod loaded up with cruise music.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.

Last edited by Snoozeman; November 24th, 2010 at 03:21 PM.
Old November 24th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Administrator
Admiral

For me Calypso music is OK for about twenty minutes and then I want something different. A variety of music is preferable.

"Hot Hot Hot" has become one of my least favorite songs because of how many times it's been played.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 24th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Many cruises ago, on an NCL,ship, I heard this song, and, when I came home, I went into the music stores asking if, they ever heard of a Caribbean song, called Rugga Rugga. Can you imagine the looks I got?

Finally I found it, and RD, our Canadian pal, coworker, hunted it down, to be included in our Cruisemates CD, for our group cruise back in 07...

When I hear this, it's quintessential, cruise music to my ears!! It took, over for, Hot Hot Hot

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old November 24th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Admiral

One other possibility.....it could be that the other half of that "duo" is having an issue passing the medical.

This happened to a band called Dakota. Their drummer failed the cholestrol test and was not allowed on the ship until he was within safe limits.

They had to use a fill in drummer for a couple of months.

Since Calypso music can be done by one steel drum player if needed....this guy may just be winging it until the other half of the duo can get on the ship.

Not saying this is the case...just a possibility. It just seems odd that only one ship would not have at least a duo...

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old November 27th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Admiral

I have to address this issue, having just come off the Miracle last week, and having just posted my thoughts on this subject in my pictorial review found on the Chit Chat board.
There was indeed, a one-man band called "Calypso", although I called him "Rasta Man". He had a steel drum and a synthesizer with pre-recorded music which was OK, but he could NOT sing worth a dime. How he ever made it through the audition and got hired is beyond me.
I would have liked to enjoy some Calypso music by the main pool, but every time I saw him come on, I'd run in the other direction, it was really that unbearable. On the last day I went to the main pool for afternoon trivia, which for some reason never happened. Instead, Rasta Man showed up with a partner on guitar and I left as fast as I could, but not before being subjected to some of the worst music ever heard on a cruise ship.

What is Carnival thinking?

Oh, and Trip? I still play that CD in my car and I still LOVE that Ragga Ragga song!

donna
Old November 28th, 2010, 05:15 AM
Familiar Face

>If cruise lines, like Carnival, want to make cuts, why not cut out things like art auctions at sea or the MANY bingo games which require at least 3 staff members to supervise etc.[/QUOTE]

I'm not trying to be snotty here, but you answered your own question. Musicians are an expense; art auctions and bingo produce revenue.

I also suspect that Carnival (and other cruise lines) struggles to find and keep good musicians.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in Carnival's accounting office in Miami and see how they weigh expenses vs. revenue for the different aspects of shipboard entertainment. I'm guessing they have it down to a pretty good science, and, naturally, follow the money!

Andy