Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 26th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Familiar Face

Default Which Cruise to take???

Looking at 2 cruises and trying to decide which one to take. From Miami to Cozumel, to Grand Cayman to Ocho Rios. Or, Miami to Grand Cayman, to Cozumel to Belize, to Roatan. We are a couple that enjoys our ship time (all the different activites to do), and wondering if 4 stops would make us feel like we are losing out on too much ship time. What interests me about the 4 stop is Roatan, I would like to see it. Is it worth seeing or just another stop?

I should clarify what I mean by just another stop. No offense to anyone that enjoyed it, but Ensenada, Mexico, was nothing I would advise as a tourist destination and consider it a "just another stop".

Thanks,
Jeff
Sponsored Links
Old November 26th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I have not been to Roatan but I have heard it is nothing special, but you should ask someone who has been there.

But then again Ocho Rios has little to do unless you take a tour. Jamaica is not a very tourist friendly island.
Old November 26th, 2010, 08:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Jeff,
What are the two ships?

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 26th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Roatan is good if you like to snorkle and scuba..other than that, it''s not much, in my opinion, I was there a few weeks ago. Belize is another paradise for water sports...Cozumel is popular and good for shopping, Grand Cayman has Stingray City,always a draw.

To me the western itinerary is more focused on water themes...Is the eastern or southern itineraries, not on your radar?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old November 26th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Roatan is a nice stop. I have to say that I had a different opinion of Roatan than Trip did.

It is a lush tropical island with some beautiful beaches and beautiful scenery.

I spent the day on a great beach and thoroughly enjoyed it. We also did a short tour of the island and I will say it was enough to whet my appetite about going back. I had heard there wasn't much there so I only booked the beach day. I wish I had not listened so closely and had pre-booked more. If you like a tropical island that seems much safer than Jamaica then Roatan is the place.

Is it a shopping mecca? No. But at this time it is more unspoiled than many other Caribbean stops. There is a lot of development going on in Roatan and I expect that it won't be long until there will be more shopping and other "stuff" to do.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 26th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Mike, if we had taken a tour there, I would have gotten a different impression, but I just wasn't up to the 4 hour one, at the dock....I have seen the beaches and homes on tv,and I will say they are gorgeous.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old November 26th, 2010, 11:02 PM
Familiar Face

Hi Donna,

The ships are the Glory and Liberty.

Jeff
Old November 26th, 2010, 11:09 PM
Familiar Face

Hi,

Thank you all of have responded so far. Little backgound, I've cruised to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Montego Bay, Nassau, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Catalina Island, and Ensenada so far.

Trip,

I would prefer a eastern route this time visiting Grand Turk and St. Thomas. But, this cruise will be with my brother and sister-inlaw, and this will be their first cruise and to go the western route is cheaper than the eastern route. That is what is swaying them to the western route.

Jeff
Old November 27th, 2010, 12:12 AM
Admiral

If you like your ship time I'd go with the standard Western Caribbean.
Old November 27th, 2010, 01:13 AM
Beginner

With Caribbean cruises, ship time is all that more important, because the islands are all very similar and I like to take advantage of the ships them selves when they are in port. I would do Western myself and enjoy the boat while others are out checking the islands out.
Old November 30th, 2010, 02:28 AM
Admiral

To me Roatan is worth a visit. I did an island tour which included a boat-ride out to some ship wrecks, a local song & dance show, and a stop at Marble Hills Farm.
It was a Carnival shore excursion called..."Discover Roatan" and the show was called "Yubu: Garifuna Experience".
Belize is most definitely genuine and has much to offer. I've visited there twice and also taken ship tours. Xunantunich is an excellent Mayan site...on top of a hill offering panoramic views.
The Mayan cave and jungle tour was also wonderful.

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews
/ticker.png">

Last edited by Thoth; November 30th, 2010 at 02:33 AM.
Old December 2nd, 2010, 02:44 PM
Familiar Face

I thought Cozumel was by far the best stop. I've been to all the other ports. They are all ok. Nothing to special. Grand Cayman would be ok if you want to visit Stingray City or 7 mile beach, but the shopping is mostly junk from China. Jamaca was ok, friends loved the Dunn River falls, although they had some issues at one of the shopping centers with people trying to sell them drugs. Belize was ok, but depending on the time of year, it can be very hot and humid. I live in the desert and wasn't used to it at all.

With the 4 stops, you can stay on board and basically have the ship to yourselves if you like it that way. Not much of any activites when in port. With the three ports, you can play more games etc...when at sea.
Old December 10th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Admiral

I don't chose ships for the ports of call. I'm just as happy staying on the ship, while everyone else gets off.

The only exception to that is for a beach. If I can get to a nice beach with as little as a cab ride - I will.

I try not to pick a ship for the ports of call, because ... they get cancelled ... and I would not want that to ruin my trip.

On DREAM, we missed Roatan because the waters were too rough, or too low, or something.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old December 10th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I guess any port of call is what you make it.

Jamaica has a fun ziplining tour and a great horseback riding tour. I have had lots of fun there. That is one porty where I always recommend taking a tour.

I got am email from a first-time cruiser who took his teens on a cruise. He took a tour in Key West and in Jamaica he just took them walking in public.

I told him he should have done it the other way around. Walk around Key West and tour in Jamaica. That is the reason why people should researcxh their cruises before they go.

In Cozumel I always enjoy Chakanaab for snokeling and just hanging around. I went horseback riding there and it was boring (it was more like riding a donkey, my horse was so old).