Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 29th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Familiar Face

Default Grand Turk vs. Roatan Island

Hi All,

Of the people that have been to both places or been to just one, which did you like better? These are two places I'd like to visit and will eventually decide which cruise I take.

Thanks,
Jeff
Sponsored Links
Old November 30th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Grand Turk has very little to do except shop right off the ship. Except that you can always snorkle. You can do that in Roatan as well.

Honestly - I don't think I would consider this question as much as the ships you are considering.

What two different ships are you thinking about?
Old December 4th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Hi. I've been to Grand Turk several times and honestly there isn't much to do there. There are lots of fun activities in Roatan and its a beautiful island. I suggest you do the new 4-hour catamaran snorkel trip aboard the sv free radical. It will get you away from the tourist areas and you'll be able to see the awesome east end of the island. You can contact them through their website, Roatan Catamaran Sail Charters - just click on the cruiseship tour. Have fun and enjoy Roatan!
Marcia - Roatan resident (opps)
*edited for commercial link*

Last edited by Trip; December 4th, 2010 at 06:14 PM.
Old December 4th, 2010, 05:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Grand Turk does not offer much. Roatan, however, offers great beaches, snorkling, etc. I loved it! We were on an NCL cruise and took an excursion for the "beach" which included a BBQ, drinks, lovely beach and snorkling.
Old December 4th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Familiar Face

Hello Jeff, We were on Carnival last winter and stopped at Grand Turk,Like the others say, there is not much to do there & we found the beach adjacent to the cruise dock had very coarse sand.

It was nice but would rather go to St Maartens or St Thomas.

Have fun deciding.

SSD
Old December 4th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I have been to both several times, but not to the new Mahogany Bay at Roatan.

Grand Turk--Paul is right, the cruise center is where you will want to stay unless you want to doa horseback riding or dune buggy tour. We rented a golf cart (and got lost cuz of a crappy map) and it isn't that pretty and we never did find the historic old town after searching for it for over an hour. If you do go there the water tours are really good. There is good diving and snorkeling and Gibbs Cay just of the East side of the island is where the stringrays are and the beach/water is phenomenal white/soft sand!!!!

GrandTurk also have a massive Margaritaville, with prices to go along. The pool is fabulous and the flowrider is near the pool where you can watch the people attempt to surf/boogieboard....

Roatan--It is very pretty and scenic on Roatan. I have done two tours that covered the island pretty much and I enjoyed myself. I loved the bird and butterfly santuary. I was last there in January 09 before the new Mahogany Bay was where Carnival ships docked.

Both routes have advantages and disavantages, but I think if you look at the other ports you can decide. I loved Belize and if Half Moon Cay is part of the route then I would not hesitate to tell you to RUN to the ship that goes to Half Moon Cay as it is an amazing day at the beach stop. It is a tender stop so getting off and back on has to be timed right (get off in the first two or three tenders or book a cabana, and go back early enough to avoid a 30-45 minute wait for a tender and then security once onboard.

Good luck and have fun!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old December 5th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Admiral

I would choose Roatan over Grand Turk. We have been to both places twice. If you do not snorkel or scuba then Roatan has more to offer. And even if you do snorkel then the reef at Tabayan Beach in Roatan is outstanding. The reef is right at the beach and beautiful. in Grand Turk you have to get to any reef by boat and while nice they don't compare.

But you really have to look at the other stops as well. And if there are more than one that you don't like and don't really like to stay on the ship then go the other route. Half Moon Cay is a beautiful beach but if you don't want to do water things then there is not much else to do. And yes you have to time your return to the ship or you will have a long wait.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old December 5th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Admiral

I was thinking what to do on Grand Turk, Gibbs Cay sounds a good trip, P&O want 35/person for a 2hour trip, sounds a lot, any comments?