Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 18th, 2010, 10:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Compare Rib Eye Steak or NY Steak To The New Flat Iron Steak On CCL

I have been reading about the Flat Iron Steak on Carnival MDR Menu. We have had it on our last two Carnival Ecstasy cruises. Hum. Have to say it was not the quality of Rib Eye or New York cut. Here is the history of Flat Iron Steak

The Flat Iron Steak (also know as a Top Blade Steak), now appearing in grocery stores and on restaurant menus was developed by teams at the University of Nebraska and the University of Florida. The problem that presented these researchers of the cow was what to do with a waste cut of beef from the shoulder of the cow. Though a flavorful and relatively tender cut of meat, the top blade roast has a serious flaw in the middle of it; an impossibly tough piece of connective tissue running through the middle.

So, after developing a method for cutting and presenting this steak, these friendly scientists have presented to us an amazing cut of beef. More than that, they have developed a nearly perfect steak for the grill. The Flat Iron (supposedly named because it looks like an old fashioned metal flat iron) is uniform in thickness and rectangular in shape. The only variation is the cut into the middle of the steak where the connective tissues have been removed.
Like any non-loin steak, the Flat Iron benefits from marinating and is best if it isn't cooked too well beyond medium. Depending on the particular cut you pick up you might find it more convenient to cut the Flat Iron steak in half because of the center cut through the middle.

This steak has a deep, rich flavor which makes it perfect not only on its own, but also as meat for many dishes. The Flat Iron is very similar to any of the Flat Steaks so anything calling for Skirt or Flank Steak will benefit from a Flat Iron Steak. This steak is best grilled over a medium high heat. I don't suggest going as hot as possible unless you pick up a particularly thin cut. I like to get them thick (about an inch or more) so I grill at a little lower temperature to keep from charring the outside before it heats through the middle.

If your butcher stares blankly at you when you ask for a Flat Iron steak, it might not be because he’s a bad butcher. It might be that this particular cut (or actually this particular name) hasn't caught on in your neck of the woods. Instead ask for a Top Blade Steak. But definitely track one down and give it a try. You might just find your perfect steak.
CCL Conquest 02/20/2011
CCL Ecstasy 10/25/10
RCCL Voyager OTS Jan 10, 2010
CCL Ecstasy 09/2009
CCL Fantasy 07/06/2009
CCLl Conquest 03/15/2009
RCCL Voyager OTS 02/01/09
RCCL 15 Days Voyager OTS TA 11/29/08
CCL Conquest 09/28/08
CCL Conquest 04/27/08
CCL Ecstasy 10/2007
CCL Elation 09/2006
RCL Rhapsody of Sea 10/2002
NCL Norwegian Sea 10/2000
CCL Holiday 11/1988
CCL Destiny 07/1997
P&O Canberra 1969

Sponsored Links
Old December 18th, 2010, 10:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default More info on the Flat Iron Steak.

More info on the Flat Iron Steak.

FYI. If you like the Flat Iron Steak, you can buy them daily at WalMart, and Krogers. Krogers sells FIS in a premarinated pack or WalMart has the FIS in a fresh meat pack and you can marinade or season to you taste. When we cruise on CCL Conquest Feb 20, 2011, I'll have to try one in the MDR for dinner. . .if it is not lobster and tiger shrimp night. . .or prime rib on the menu. I don't think they offer any other steak but Flat Iron Steak any longer on the MDR menu. Maybe wrong on that. . .anyone who has current info please post.

For lunch, I love to go up from the Buffet to the upper level via the stair case by the desert bar to the Sur Mar Fish Bar for fried fish, oysters, and more. It is just the best. Or, go to the Asian Bar on the side as you walk into the Buffet and have fresh made stir fried Asian food. OR. . .go to the Deli and get a handmade Corn beef on rye sandwich. Hey, if you go hungry on a cruise ship it your own fault. Oh, I forgot the fresh cooked hamburgers and fries on the outer Lido deck. Oh man, I am getting hungry. Better get off here and go to the kitchen and cook some dinner tonight.

Happy Cruising. Remember a bad day at sea on a cruise is better than 3 days setting at home.
CCL Ecstasy 10/25/10
CCL Ecstasy 09/2009
CCL Fantasy 07/06/2009
CCLl Conquest 03/15/2009
CCL Conquest 09/28/08
CCL Conquest 04/27/08
CCL Ecstasy 10/2007
CCL Elation 09/2006
CCL Holiday 11/1988
CCL Destiny 07/1997
P&O Canberra 1969

Old December 19th, 2010, 01:48 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Didn't we just have a thread on this steak? As a rancher in the meat production business, I recall writing a lengthy reply.

Bottom line: This cut is not a steak. It should be a roast.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Last edited by Snoozeman; December 19th, 2010 at 01:12 PM.
Old December 19th, 2010, 07:23 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I was just on Carnival Liberty. They no longer have the Asian Buffet. It was turned into a Burrito Bar. I was very disappointed in this change. They did have Mandarin Wok in the middle of the buffet line. You choose the ingredients and the cook will cook it right there for you. I did go to the Fish and Chips on deck 10. I just love everything that I tried from there.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old December 19th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I strongly disagree on this. The Flat Iron Steak is not a steak. Yes: If it is marinated (aka tenderized) it is edible. Otherwise it is only suitable for trim (tips) or brazing.

Perhaps the reason the butcher looks at you funny is that he knows that this is not a steak and wonders why you want it for that purpose.

Also: I'm sorry but I won't buy meat from Wal-Mart. Take a look at the sodium content of their meat and compare it to good "USDA Choice" meat. You will see that it is about 25% higher in sodium from the preservative and marinade. The other two things that scare me about Wal-Mart meat is: No natural meat is that color red as their "USDA Select" designation. The USDA Select Meat is near the bottom of the barrel of the USDA rating system for bull meat.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old December 19th, 2010, 12:03 PM
First Mate

Some people will go to great lenghts to make a dollar. Take a roast cut it differently, it becomes steak and at a higher price. What a joke I bet you won't find "Flat iron steak" on the menu at a great steak house, say " Peter Lugars" or any of the Great Chicago resturants
2004 "Glory"
2004"Victory"
2007 "Liberty"
2007" Explorer of the Seas
2009 "Valor"
2009 "Fascination"
2011 " Pride"
2014 "Adventure of the Seas"
2015 "NCL Breakaway"
2015 Celebrity "Millennium" Alaska cruise tour
2016 " NCL Pride of America" Hawaiian cruise
Old December 19th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Admiral

I have tried the flat iron steak a few times and have yet to like one. I won't be ordering again.

They still offer a petite filet with short ribs. Here is my best guestimation at the current 7 day menus:
Carnival Cruise Line 7 Day Menus

On longer cruises they still have real beef. On our Hawaii cruise last spring, besides flat iron (bleech!), they still had a ribeye, a strip, sirloin...

Next: Carnival Vista Maiden Voyage, May 1, 2016

DONE: Carnival Triumph Journeys Cruise, Oct 24, 2015

Carnival Sunshine, Aug 29, 2015

Carnival Diamond
Princess Platinum
and more...

Old December 19th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Cost Cuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlauntz View Post
Some people will go to great lenghts to make a dollar. Take a roast cut it differently, it becomes steak and at a higher price. What a joke I bet you won't find "Flat iron steak" on the menu at a great steak house, say " Peter Lugars" or any of the Great Chicago resturants

I had the Chateaubriand on the Ecstasy Oct 2010. I would rather refer to it as Cooked Cow with Sauce Béarnaise that is what I would call it First time I ever had Chateaubriand was when I lived in New Zealand at the Chateau Tongariro Mt Ruapehu. They were famous for their Chateaubriand. What I had on the Ecstasy was "Cooked Cow"

But you know what, can a cruise line such as Carnival continue to serve Rib Eyes, New York and such cuts of meat each night when they are selling state rooms at $400 per person or less and of course they sell the higher end rooms. But cost cutting is the name of the game.

So it's chicken, pastas, fish, shrimp and such which is fine with me. I eat fish at least 60% of time in the MDR on any cruise ship. Foods that I would not take the time to cook at home. Mahi Mahi, Shrimp Cocktails, Salmon, and those wonderful Tiger Shrimp with the Lobster. I have a Shrimp Cocktail every night in the MDR with Caesar Salad. . .then go to the main entree. Never been disappointed on any cruise line be it CCL, RCCL or NCL with that starter combo. OMG. . .and tonight my wife is cooking meatloaf and I am craving Shrimp Cocktail and a Caesar Salad then a main entree of ????. Can I get "Room Service" tonight?
CCL Ecstasy 10/25/10
CCL Ecstasy 09/2009
CCL Fantasy 07/06/2009
CCLl Conquest 03/15/2009
CCL Conquest 09/28/08
CCL Conquest 04/27/08
CCL Ecstasy 10/2007
CCL Elation 09/2006
CCL Holiday 11/1988
CCL Destiny 07/1997
P&O Canberra 1969

Old December 19th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Admiral

I don't like flat iron "steaks". To me they are a roast, and even taste more like a roast than a real steak. If a local store has them on sale I'll buy them for stew meat or chili. I certainly won't grill them as present them at dinner as a steak.
Old December 19th, 2010, 11:14 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspepper View Post
I have been reading about the Flat Iron Steak on Carnival MDR Menu. We have had it on our last two Carnival Ecstasy cruises. Hum. Have to say it was not the quality of Rib Eye or New York cut. Here is the history of Flat Iron Steak

The Flat Iron Steak (also know as a Top Blade Steak), now appearing in grocery stores and on restaurant menus was developed by teams at the University of Nebraska and the University of Florida. The problem that presented these researchers of the cow was what to do with a waste cut of beef from the shoulder of the cow. Though a flavorful and relatively tender cut of meat, the top blade roast has a serious flaw in the middle of it; an impossibly tough piece of connective tissue running through the middle.

Flatiron steaks have been available for at least 4 or 5 years now in King Soopers (Krogers) here in Denver. I regularly grill All three, Rib Eye, NY cut and Flatiron, and I'll have to say that for the most part (and for the money) we prefer the Flatiron steaks. They are well marbled, very flavorful and have as good or better texture than either of the others. If I was having special guests over, I'd probably buy NY Steaks because the Flatirons would be strange to them.

On a ship specialty steakhouse, or in a fine steakhouse ashore, where they serve Prime steaks I'd probably stick with the NY Cut as well, but for the back yard BBQ -- you just can't beat the USDA Choice Flatiron!!

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old December 19th, 2010, 11:25 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozeman View Post
Didn't we just have a thread on this steak? As a rancher in the meat production business, I recall writing a lengthy reply.

Bottom line: This cut is not a steak. It should be a roast.
Snoozeman,
If you don't think the flatiron is a steak, it is only because you have never been to my house and let me grill one for you. I have no idea where Carnival gets theirs but the ones I buy at the local king Soopers are absolutely delectable. Med rare they are tender, extremely flavorful and have excellent texture. Grill on high, 4 or 5 minutes to a side. Now you've gone and got me hungry!!

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old December 19th, 2010, 11:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Good Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by richstacy View Post
Texaspepper,
Flatiron steaks have been available for at least 4 or 5 years now in King Soopers (Krogers) here in Denver. I regularly grill All three, Rib Eye, NY cut and Flatiron, and I'll have to say that for the most part (and for the money) we prefer the Flatiron steaks. They are well marbled, very flavorful and have as good or better texture than either of the others. If I was having special guests over, I'd probably buy NY Steaks because the Flatirons would be strange to them.

On a ship specialty steakhouse, or in a fine steakhouse ashore, where they serve Prime steaks I'd probably stick with the NY Cut as well, but for the back yard BBQ -- you just can't beat the USDA Choice Flatiron!!
Rich, some good points you have given. It is a given that Flat Iron Steaks are a economy cut of meat and cruise ships are looking to cut costs. So the FIS is the cut to do so. I'll take your suggestion and try grilling a few FIS in the coming days. My wife had FIS on Ecstasy in Oct 2010 and she says it was good.

Given the fact that cruise ships are finding ways to cut costs in all areas, FIS is the means for them to do so. I guess I would have to say. . ."so be it." I'll stick with the fish entree and chicken in the MDR on Carnival on our next cruise on Conquest Feb 20, 2011. Thanks for the come back on the post. So Krogers is called King Soopers up your way. Hum. Interesting. Did not know that. I have found that FIS are about $4.69 per pound down here in Dallas Fort Worth, TX
CCL Ecstasy 10/25/10
CCL Ecstasy 09/2009
CCL Fantasy 07/06/2009
CCLl Conquest 03/15/2009
CCL Conquest 09/28/08
CCL Conquest 04/27/08
CCL Ecstasy 10/2007
CCL Elation 09/2006
CCL Holiday 11/1988
CCL Destiny 07/1997
P&O Canberra 1969

Old December 20th, 2010, 12:59 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by richstacy View Post
Snoozeman,
If you don't think the flatiron is a steak, it is only because you have never been to my house and let me grill one for you. I have no idea where Carnival gets theirs but the ones I buy at the local king Soopers are absolutely delectable. Med rare they are tender, extremely flavorful and have excellent texture. Grill on high, 4 or 5 minutes to a side. Now you've gone and got me hungry!!
I see what's setting on the shoulders of beef cattle every day. NO WAY would I ever eat that meat medium rare.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog
Old December 20th, 2010, 08:29 AM
Admiral

I had it on my last cruise, I wasn't a fan of it.
Old December 20th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Admiral

I ordered once. And never ordered it again.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old December 21st, 2010, 02:05 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to dhudd

:razz:I loved it. I had it several times last cruise. One of the dinner trains serve it also. I will order it always.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 096.jpg (89.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 230.jpg (88.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 462.jpg (89.2 KB, 4 views)

MS Carnival Spirit 10/2006
MS Carnival Victory 12/2005
MS Star Princess 12/2002
MS Carnival Victory 12/2000
USS Bristol County, LST 1198, 1980-1982
USS Turner Joy, DD951, 1973-1978