Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 23rd, 2010, 07:10 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Post Question about travelling as a minor

I need to know if it's going to be a problem when disembarking that I don't have a signed permission from my mother as I'm traveling with my dad. They say you should have a permission from both of your legal guardians.. The lady at the travel agency said that it shouldn't be a problem.

The reason I'm unable to get the permission is that my mom is currently in Egypt and I forgot to ask her that at home. She sent her permission by email but naturally it doesn't have her signature.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old December 23rd, 2010, 08:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

The "lady at the travel agency" should have never given you that advice, because she's wrong.

It could be a big problem. It's really going to depend on how diligent a check in agent you run into at embarkation. The rule states you must have a notarized letter to travel with one parent or guardian. Some of the people working the check in may not be so thorough, and you could be fine. However, it is possible for them to deny you the right to board.

Perhaps, had the travel agent given you the proper information, you may have had time for your mother to fed ex a notarized letter. I don't know if you still have time before your sailing to get that done. If you do, that would be the route to take.
Old January 12th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
The "lady at the travel agency" should have never given you that advice, because she's wrong.

It could be a big problem. It's really going to depend on how diligent a check in agent you run into at embarkation. The rule states you must have a notarized letter to travel with one parent or guardian. Some of the people working the check in may not be so thorough, and you could be fine. However, it is possible for them to deny you the right to board.

Perhaps, had the travel agent given you the proper information, you may have had time for your mother to fed ex a notarized letter. I don't know if you still have time before your sailing to get that done. If you do, that would be the route to take.
IMO, I don't see how they could possibly enforce this. In this day and age, many children are born out of wed-lock and some don't even know who their biological father is ... Do they need to take their birth certificate with them as proof that they (legally) don't have a father!? What about children who have lost a parent ... Are they required to carry a death certificate on their vacation!?

I am certainly not well traveled (quite the opposite actually), but I will share my one experience ... My daughter and I went to Puerto Vallarta a couple of years ago (WITH the required permission letter from her father), and were not questioned by anyone.

I'm curious to know if anyone has ever experienced problems with this ... ?
Old January 13th, 2011, 05:35 PM
Captain

Id bring a copy of the email with me .. just in case.