Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 24th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Admiral

Default credit card fraud

Has anyone had any problems with credit card fraud after booking a cruise with Carnival? ( or any other cruise line for that matter ) I just last week booked a cruise for the Dream this coming fall and made the deposit on my Visa.
I jealously guard the use of my card and don't order anything over the inter-net, don't use it ashore when I'm on a cruise, etc.
It seems odd that the cruise was booked on Carnival and deposit made by the T.A. on Jan. 18th, then on Jan 23rd a couple already had my credit card number with a new card made and had been trying to use it in Del Ray Beach, Fla, approx 50-60 miles north of Miami. I'm not accusing Carnival but it seems odd that I live in Ky., haven't bought anything over the computer , booked a cruise out of Miami and 3 days later my card is in the hands of crooks trying to use it close to Miami where Carnival is headquartered.
I commend the credit card co. for being on their toes to head off the attempted charges and calling me. The card was immediately canceled. I called one of the stores where an attempt was made, got some info., called the police in Del Ray Beach, etc.
I've been on the phone with Carnival and have spoken to 6-7 different people who keep transferring me here,there, back to here, etc. Finally spoke with a lady who advised they would have to have info. from the credit card co., the places where the attempts were made and info from the police in Del Ray Beach before they would research who had handled my transaction. The accounting dept at Carnival are the only ones who have access to my entire credit card number .The bookings were made on a certain day from a certain T.A. so it should be a fairly simple process to ferret out exactly who handled my deposit transaction--that doesn't mean Carnival is guilty, but if they have a crook in their midst, they, as well as the public , need to know.
Just wondering if anyone else has had any similar problem.
Sponsored Links
Old January 24th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Admiral

So terrible that this happened. Sorry.

I have never had such a problem. It is possible that some nefarious person at Carnival got hold of your credit card number and has an "associate" who applies who requests a new card. OR it is possible or any other bricks & mortar got hacked and got your number.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old January 24th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Admiral

Happened to me on our very first cruise. Royal Caribbean, checked in at the pier with my brand new Amex. While we were on board someone charged $1,600 of air tickets.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old January 24th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Familiar Face

Ron,

Thanks for the heads up. Just dispicable. so sorry this happened to you.

You too trackypup. Hope your CC company removed that charge with no problems and the crooks were tracked down and arrested.

Beth
Enchanted Seas
Enchanted Isle x4

Seawind
Seawind Crown
Celebrity
Horizon
Carnival
Celebration x5
Festivale
Fascination
Inspiration
Conquest x2
Elation- PLATINUM

Magic x2
Norwegian
Sea x3
Star
Dream
Spirit

Need some cruise help?

Need some cruise help?
Old January 24th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Admiral

The policeman I spoke with at Del Ray Beach was very helpful. He did go to the two places where the attempts were made but got little info. They said they had no video ( hard to believe as one is a large optical place--the culprits had attempted to purchase a pair of sunglasses for $450.00 ) but apparently nothing will come of it. I'm just trying to get Carnival to make an internal check and even if they don't come up with anything, by them just doing an investigation it may help deter and maybe someone else won't get ripped. I wish I could get my hands around the neck of these thieves--I could " rehab " them fairly quickly.
I know the fraudulent use of credit cards is a huge business and that's why I'm so very careful when I use mine but, guess my number was just up this time.
Old January 24th, 2011, 03:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Inside Job

Sounds like a inside job to me. I also remember a story about some RCCL workers passing on Credit card info to family members who would find a way of charging things just like this. And also robbing their houses while they are gone on there cruises too. Ed
Old January 24th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Admiral

Had mine cloned via an online site, Visa didn't really care, like they were used to it, someone spent £11,500 on the card. Visa didn't spot it, a retailer called me & asked if I had bought a TV with the card for delivery elsewhere...I hadn't!!
Old January 24th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Admiral

And your number is.........

Seriously, though, we all pay for the fraud.

Annie
Old January 24th, 2011, 05:01 PM
Familiar Face

I have had my card "number"...stolen and used via internet....the best way is to use a card with a very small credit balance....and forget about the reward points....its a lot safer and a lot less trouble......excersise cauition always regardless.
jlmkey
Old January 24th, 2011, 07:19 PM
Admiral

I really don't see how it is Carnival's job to investigate. I would turn it over to the credit card company and let them deal with it. Once they remove any fraudulent charges from the account, they assume ownership of the fraud and it is their problem. You and Carnival are out of the loop.
Old January 24th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Familiar Face

Exclamation

Dunno if it was Carnival or somewhere on the drive down. We have a credit card we use ONLY when traveling that we pay off (fraud is why we don't use our debit cards). We traveled down to Port Canaveral from North Carolina back in July for our cruise on the Carnival Dream which was the only time we used this card.

So just last week the Credit Card Company calls up my wife and asks her if she purchased anything from iTunes ($1) or Xbox 360($44) the next day? She said she had not and they were just verifying that we really had not purchased that as it came up as suspicious activity.

So someone between here and there got our number and sold it to some teenager wanting to get their game on my dime

The big thing is don't use your debit card as they can clean out your bank account and it's YOUR PROBLEM! If you use a Credit Card, then you will not be liable for the fraudulent charges or maybe up to $50 depending on whatever laws you do or do not have.

There is a crook somewhere...
Old January 24th, 2011, 07:33 PM
Admiral

We had a similiar problem but not with a cruise line .We had it with a nationwide store and we are not the only ones .We still shop at the store but only pay cash .
Old January 24th, 2011, 11:16 PM
Admiral

It's Carnival's responsibility to make sure they have honest employees. As I said, I didn't say they were responsible, just that it seems sort of fishy that the T.A. gives Carnival the complete c.c number on the 18th then by the 23 rd someone has a card with my number on it and also one from Barclay's bank on another person and is out within 50 miles of Carnivals home office trying to make large purchases on both cards.
I know that in all likelihood they will not be able to prove who did it, if indeed it was from Carnival's end but they can pinpoint who took the transaction--I have already done that much myself. Am awaiting the police report and info. from the credit card co. now. Was advised by Carnival to forward this info to their security dept when I receive it all and they would check into it.
My whole point now is to get them to make some sort of investigation--even if they don't find anything, then maybe it will serve to keep some would be crook a little more honest.
I realize Carnival is a large corporation but if I have the T.A., the date she booked the cruise and the person with whom she dealt with regarding these bookings and credit card numbers, that narrows it down for Carnival considerably as to where to look.I'm not expecting Carnival to fire anyone, call the police or FBI in or anything of the sort. Just as I said, if they do have dishonest employees passing on credit card numbers, they , as well as the rest of us need to know, and if that dishonest person / persons knows there is an investigation going on or has been an investigation, maybe it will keep some other poor soul from being ripped off.
I wasn't out anything --but they sure as hell tried hard enough!
South Florida is a hot bed of this sort of activity. Not that that's the only place it happens. The police here where I live busted up a ring fairly recently that operated from New York, dealing in this same thing, fraudulent gift cards, credit cards, etc. When they caught them, they had hundreds of credit cards, gift cards, etc. so it's a wide spread thing .
We can only be so careful and it's a matter of odds--someone is going to get hit-- this time it was me. I'm not the type to just shrug it off and say , oh well, they didn't get anything--they did--they got my credit card number and tried to rip me off to untold amounts as the card has a very high limit--It's not in my nature to roll over and play dead just because this is something that happens everyday, somewhere, to someone.

I have to go to court Friday to the thugs hearing that stole my wife's jewelry while he was working in our house doing drywall work. I didn't take that lying down and can't wait to get to face the *$#@ard.
Wish I could have caught him with his hands in my wife's jewelry box.

Anyway, to all, be careful as you can regarding your credit cards and good luck --maybe it will never happen to any of you-- I hope not.
It won't ruin my cruise-- we've had enough snow and ice here this winter to do me for 5 winters so a cruise will be mighty welcome this coming fall. Another front coming through tomorrow night-- we'll wait to see what all it brings !
Old January 25th, 2011, 02:18 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
It's Carnival's responsibility to make sure they have honest employees. As I said, I didn't say they were responsible, just that it seems sort of fishy that the T.A. gives Carnival the complete c.c number on the 18th then by the 23 rd someone has a card with my number on it and also one from Barclay's bank on another person and is out within 50 miles of Carnivals home office trying to make large purchases on both cards.
I know that in all likelihood they will not be able to prove who did it, if indeed it was from Carnival's end but they can pinpoint who took the transaction--I have already done that much myself. Am awaiting the police report and info. from the credit card co. now. Was advised by Carnival to forward this info to their security dept when I receive it all and they would check into it.
My whole point now is to get them to make some sort of investigation--even if they don't find anything, then maybe it will serve to keep some would be crook a little more honest.
I realize Carnival is a large corporation but if I have the T.A., the date she booked the cruise and the person with whom she dealt with regarding these bookings and credit card numbers, that narrows it down for Carnival considerably as to where to look.I'm not expecting Carnival to fire anyone, call the police or FBI in or anything of the sort. Just as I said, if they do have dishonest employees passing on credit card numbers, they , as well as the rest of us need to know, and if that dishonest person / persons knows there is an investigation going on or has been an investigation, maybe it will keep some other poor soul from being ripped off.
I wasn't out anything --but they sure as hell tried hard enough!
South Florida is a hot bed of this sort of activity. Not that that's the only place it happens. The police here where I live busted up a ring fairly recently that operated from New York, dealing in this same thing, fraudulent gift cards, credit cards, etc. When they caught them, they had hundreds of credit cards, gift cards, etc. so it's a wide spread thing .
We can only be so careful and it's a matter of odds--someone is going to get hit-- this time it was me. I'm not the type to just shrug it off and say , oh well, they didn't get anything--they did--they got my credit card number and tried to rip me off to untold amounts as the card has a very high limit--It's not in my nature to roll over and play dead just because this is something that happens everyday, somewhere, to someone.

I have to go to court Friday to the thugs hearing that stole my wife's jewelry while he was working in our house doing drywall work. I didn't take that lying down and can't wait to get to face the *$#@ard.
Wish I could have caught him with his hands in my wife's jewelry box.

Anyway, to all, be careful as you can regarding your credit cards and good luck --maybe it will never happen to any of you-- I hope not.
It won't ruin my cruise-- we've had enough snow and ice here this winter to do me for 5 winters so a cruise will be mighty welcome this coming fall. Another front coming through tomorrow night-- we'll wait to see what all it brings !
Is there any reason you are laying this all in the lap of a CCL employee and not an employee of the travel agency you booked with?

Not saying it's not a CCL employee as anything is possible as i read a Disney employee was selling credit card numbers.

Bill
Old January 25th, 2011, 06:56 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

How terrible, hope you got it all straightened out...Yes, it has happened to me once and thankfully the credit card company was able to track it down. Just another reason, when I go on a cruise, I call them and let them know they may see some charges from out of the country, just in case.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 25th, 2011, 08:12 AM
Admiral

I am sure that Carnival would appreciate the information and would like to remove any employee involved in theft - if that is the case. However, beyond informing CCL of the issue I agree with Zydeco.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old January 25th, 2011, 09:04 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruised1014 View Post
Sounds like a inside job to me. I also remember a story about some RCCL workers passing on Credit card info to family members who would find a way of charging things just like this. And also robbing their houses while they are gone on there cruises too. Ed
First thing I thought of too. Sounds somewhat similar.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old January 25th, 2011, 09:22 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
It's Carnival's responsibility to make sure they have honest employees.
Aside from good faith efforts, I don't know how that's possible. They should have a very secure way of handling sensitive data, and it looks as if there is a hole in that process. For that they may be liable, however proving it from the consumer's perspective will be incredibly difficult. It seems that Visa or MC (or whoever) should be the best investigator as Carnival has everything to loose and nothing to gain for one single event (the long term perspective is obviously different, but you can look long and hard and still not find a manager who looks at the long term - CYA or you are SOL).
Old January 25th, 2011, 09:52 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7x57 View Post
Aside from good faith efforts, I don't know how that's possible. They should have a very secure way of handling sensitive data, and it looks as if there is a hole in that process. For that they may be liable, however proving it from the consumer's perspective will be incredibly difficult. It seems that Visa or MC (or whoever) should be the best investigator as Carnival has everything to loose and nothing to gain for one single event (the long term perspective is obviously different, but you can look long and hard and still not find a manager who looks at the long term - CYA or you are SOL).
Do Carnival not take out indemnity insurance on their staff?
Old January 25th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Admiral

I took an RCI cruise last fall, cruise was booked and paid for on my visa. HOWEVER, around the same time, my AMEX was beign charged all over the US, mostly at restaurants, hotels, and sporting goods stores. . They racked up a bill of close to $10 grand. Why AMEX did not track this as out of line spending for me (the ONLY place I EVER use my AMEX is at costco) ... I dunno know. But they reversed the charges and all is good with the world.

Is there a connection? Honestly, I don't think so.

This is the second or third time, I've been "hit" with credit card fraud.

Quite frankly, there are these smart little guys who sit in front of a computer all day running programs trying to "hit" a valid credit card number. When the get success with a number ..... they run with it. Was the culprit really at La Quinta Inn in Topeka, Kansas? No, I don't think so, but they just keep hitting up charges that work out, and somehow figure out how to grab the money.

I say this, because judging by the spending pattern on my AMEX, there charges all over the US over a 3 week period. There is no way, logistically, that one could travel all over the US like that in such a short period of time, without charging gas or any sort of transportation. So my guess is that the culprit was sitting at a computer, just looking for valid credit card numbers, and once food, they keep using that card in ways that "look legitamite" to the credit card companies ....

IMHO, just like a proportion of the victims will be cruisers, a proportion of the victims will also be Star Wars Geeks, or Cheerleaders, or ..... there are victims of credit card fraud everywhere, and the majority of them will have something in common.

I'm sorry you became a victim to this.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old January 25th, 2011, 01:29 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniegb View Post
Do Carnival not take out indemnity insurance on their staff?
I don't know about Carnival, but most corporations have some kind of blanket liability insurance.
Old January 29th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Captain

I have had my Discover card number taken twice in less than 3 months. I have to say that I was extremely impressed with Discover. They discovered the theft almost immediately shut down my account and notified me. I had a new card in my hand within 24 hours. I always notify them when we go on a cruise, otherwise they would deny my charges out of the country. I will also alway carry 2 cards when I travel in case it would happen and my card would be shut down again. I have ceased using my debit card for anything except the ATM.
ROMANS 8:28

VIKING SERENADE 1993
HOLIDAY 1995
HOLIDAY 1997
HOLIDAY 1998
ECTASY 1999
ELATION 2000
STAR PRINCESS 2002
SPIRIT 2003
NCL STAR 2004
PRIDE 2005
PRIDE 2006
PARADISE 2007
MS OOSTERDAM 2008
SPLENDOR 5/2010

Carnival Splendor
Old January 30th, 2011, 02:47 PM
Familiar Face

Default Credit cards

Alway's notify your Bank and Credit Card Companies went traveling away from your home
Old January 30th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Administrator
Admiral

It's possible that someone at Carnival grabbed the numbers and cloned the credit card. Then again it's possible the waitress you gave your card to when you paid for dinner in your local diner took it and cloned before she ran it to pay for your dinner.

People grab these numbers and sell them. Then they may not be used for a couple of months. It could have been stolen from a transaction you made last Fall.

Have your credit card company deal with it and don't play amateur detective and put the blame on someone or some company where there probably is no wrong doing.

It's like people who dub someone a trouble maker on the message boards and accuse someone of being two different people. They are USUALLY wrong. They have no access to IP addresses or registration information but they will say "Based on my years of law enforcement experience I know this is the same person." It sounds credible but to the people who do know they lose all their credibility.

Let the people who have access to the pertinent information investigate it and stop the speculation.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 30th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Unhappy Credit Card Fraud

We had this happen on NCL when we filled out their online questionaire. Apparently it linked us to our account, where the CC # must have been. We had no money deducted, but tons of internet orders were placed using the card. We had everyone involved, from each vendor to whom we spoke, along with the FTC and our local congressman. They were able to trace some of the IP addresses to Africa and Europe, but it was just one ping in the tangled internet world. We still get items delivered to our house with Damaris Grasman's name, but our address. They applied for credit loans, etc, but nothing was every executed. We now have a password on all our bank accounts.

I was told, but have not taken this advise yet. Purchase a disposable gift credit card and put only the amount on it that you would like to use. It is not attached to your bank accounts or your name.
Old January 30th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Familiar Face

Ask the TA if they paid your cruise via phone or on GoCCL. TA's are encouraged to handle all transactions on GoCCL. If it was paid online the TAt could have done it on an unsecured wireless network.People drive around and steal info transmitted that way. Look what happened to TJ MAXX a couple of years ago. People sat in the parking lot and lifted credit card numbers off their unsecured wireless network. We had 2 of our credit card companies issue new cards because I used them at a TJ Maxx. If the transaction was by phone only then might I suspect a Carnival employee or a TA employee. Another possibility is a cleaning crew. I used to work at a Travel Agency and the cleaning crew went through the files and stole lots of clients credit card numbers from unlocked desk drawers. We called building management and the police were brought in. A huge credit card theft ring was broken up. I personally had a problem with Princess. The first and only time I used a new credit card was to pay for a Bon Voyage gift for a friend traveling on Princess. I had to call them because I knew the cabin number, but not the booking number. Next thing I knew my credit card number was used multiple times in Mexico. I had not been to Mexico since I started using the card. Chase immediately canceled the card, took of the charges and issued me a new card.
Old January 30th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Admiral

Mike and others who apparently have mis-read my post, go back and re-read. NO where did I ACCUSE Carnival nor a Carnival employee of committing the act of fraud-- someone said I was dumping it all in Carnival's lap-- I was not-- if you take the time to re-read the posts you will see I mentioned several times that I was not accusing Carnival--- I said it was odd that within 5 days from Nancy giving them the CC numbers, ( which were given over the phone--not via their secure site to a particular employee) there was at least 2 people trying to use mine and another persons card withing 50 miles of Carnivals headquarters. Yes, to me, that at least runs up a flag that something, as I said,COULD be wrong.
Yes, to me it still seems odd. Yes-- I agree 100 % it could have been a waitress, a barman, someone at Delta, etc. any number of places and yes, not being a complete idiot, I realize it could have happened months ago and "stockpiled " along with hundreds of others just waiting to be used.
Sorry if I upset anyone by even bringing the entire situation up--please forgive me. I'm not far nor long from the turnip patch and still learning.

And to Mike, making the statement as far as me playing amateur detective and putting the blame on Carnival or an employee of Carnival, again, you should read ,digest and understand what I did say-- I did not put the blame on Carnival-- I feel your post to me was unbecoming and designed to belittle me. I feel that's a little dig that you didn't have to make. How I choose to deal with my problems should be left to me but thanks a bunch for your concern. But, that's ok.
Again, pleases forgive me for even raising the subject-- I can afford to lose a few thou and still do what I want.
Old January 31st, 2011, 04:50 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

When I book travel and go on a cruise I use a debit card. Not one that is connected to my bank accounts but I ordered a Green Dot card, free online. I fund the card with the money I want for my trip and also use it for my onboard account. If anyone steals the numbers they will be disappointed that the "take" is limited to what is left on the card.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old January 31st, 2011, 08:02 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Ron,

I am sorry and do apologize. I should not have responded the way I did.

My own personal bias came into my response and I didn't filter it out.

I recently had a personal experience with something similar. My daughter is a veterinarian and takes credit cards for payment. A few months ago a client paid for services with their Visa card. A couple of days later the client had a couple of thousand of dollars charged to their account. The client automatically accused my daughter of stealing his credit card information and went as far as calling the police and naming her as the one who stole the information and also spreading the "word" that she was stealing credit card info. Spreading "the word" in a smaller town can be a death nail to a small business.

Luckily the police, in another city, discovered two waiters at a Macaroni Grill who were cloning credit cards. The client had eaten at that Macaroni Grill three weeks before he had services from my daughter and his credit card was cloned at that time.

There was real damage to her business and she is now in the process of regaining the trust of her clients. She has numerous people still say they don't want to pay by credit card.

Once again, I do apologize for making the uncalled for statements. I hope you accept my apology.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 31st, 2011, 09:25 AM
Captain

Can I ask a question to people here from the US?

Here in Canada we now have "Chip" cards. They are in all credit cards and debit cards up here. However, on our recent cruise in January, I don't think a single person used my "Chip" and always used the stipe. Are "Chip" cards even available in the US? It kinda looks like the chip you would see on a Disk Network or DirecTV card.

It's one more bit of security against fraud as if the chip is used on the card, the signature is replaced with a "Pin" number.

Krunch
Western Caribbean - Freedom - January, 2011
Southern Caribbean - Miracle - November, 2010
Western Caribbean - Liberty - November, 2008
Eastern Caribbean - Valor - October, 2006