Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 27th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Admiral

Take 'em or leave 'em me.... but if there is a code we respect it, & wouldn't go on a cruise or anywhere else that had any rules we couldn't stick to.
Mind you I do sympathise with those who just don't know about these things, this happens more often as cruises become more available. Happened to us once in Jamaica, didn't even cross our minds the hotel would have a dress code for dinner in a laid back place like that!
Old January 27th, 2011, 02:13 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
Those who don't want to dress up for dinner...why not, don't you wish to look nice.
Pardon my ignorance but why do I want to show off...Sorry, I mean look nice for a bunch of strangers?

I'm on vacation and comfy rules.

Krunch
Western Caribbean - Freedom - January, 2011
Southern Caribbean - Miracle - November, 2010
Western Caribbean - Liberty - November, 2008
Eastern Caribbean - Valor - October, 2006
Old January 27th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&B View Post
...sigh...unfortunately easier said than done in the days before digital cameras. Guess a good 'ol pair of scissors would have to do at this point....

I've never been one to cut on my pics anyway-- not even the bad ones, and now the pictures 'tell a story' so guess at this point, I'm just stuck with 'em.

Beth
Beth - try scanning the photo into your computer and cropping it.
Old January 27th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Beth - try scanning the photo into your computer and cropping it.
hmmmmm, now that's a thought....and I do love to play with photos...now to find the time to play...

Thanks,

Beth
Enchanted Seas
Enchanted Isle x4

Seawind
Seawind Crown
Celebrity
Horizon
Carnival
Celebration x5
Festivale
Fascination
Inspiration
Conquest x2
Elation- PLATINUM

Magic x2
Norwegian
Sea x3
Star
Dream
Spirit

Need some cruise help?

Need some cruise help?
Old January 27th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by krunch View Post
Pardon my ignorance but why do I want to show off...Sorry, I mean look nice for a bunch of strangers?

I'm on vacation and comfy rules.

Krunch
I pardon your ignorance..
Personal pride in one's appearance, respect for those who asked you to dress in a certain way that you were aware of when you booked, respect for other diners who have actually bothered to dress as requested, respect for the staff who are immaculately turned out.....Presumably you return to the cabin to wash & change before dinner?
"Comfy rules"...do you buy uncomfortable formal clothes then? try a bigger size?
Old January 27th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Captain

Quote:
I pardon your ignorance..
Personal pride in one's appearance, respect for those who asked you to dress in a certain way that you were aware of when you booked, respect for other diners who have actually bothered to dress as requested, respect for the staff who are immaculately turned out.....Presumably you return to the cabin to wash & change before dinner?
"Comfy rules"...do you buy uncomfortable formal clothes then? try a bigger size?
Personal pride in one's appearance, that's what I said, showing off for people you don't know. Wear something that shouts, "Look at me". Hey, if you're into that, go for it, I have nothing against you or anyone who dresses like that but don't think it makes you a better person than I am. I have lots of pride. Pride of my family history, where I am from, the hard worker that I am, and the friend that I am to many people. I don't need to dress in specefic clothing to display my pride.

I think the problem here is the definition for formal. To me, formal is a suit or a tux, and I own neither and never will. On our last cruise we went to our first ever formal night. I was wearing the exact dress pants and short sleeved dress shirt (no tie) that I have worn to the casual nights, and I wear to whatever bars we decide to visit that evening. What I wore is what I wear to work which is comfy and at work we call it "Business casual". If I was doing something wrong then I should have been turned away.

Krunch
Old January 27th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Familiar Face

I don't think we're talking about P&O or Cunard on this Carnival board, slacks and dress shirts are fine for Carnival. The ladies in my family with be in cocktail dresses and the men slacks, long sleeved shirt and tie (no jacket - oh my!!!!) and we will not be going against the dress code, nor would we if the men didn't wear ties and the ladies didn't wear dresses - as long as we weren't in shorts, T-shirts, bathing suits or jeans, we would be adhering to Carnival's dress code.

This is Carnival's dress code for "elegant" night:
Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.
Old January 27th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I wear a nice pant suit with a jacket and my husband wears dress pants and a leather jacket. Neither one of us really enjoy getting all dressed up.
Old January 27th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by firster View Post
I don't think we're talking about P&O or Cunard on this Carnival board, slacks and dress shirts are fine for Carnival. The ladies in my family with be in cocktail dresses and the men slacks, long sleeved shirt and tie (no jacket - oh my!!!!) and we will not be going against the dress code, nor would we if the men didn't wear ties and the ladies didn't wear dresses - as long as we weren't in shorts, T-shirts, bathing suits or jeans, we would be adhering to Carnival's dress code.

This is Carnival's dress code for "elegant" night:
Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.
So there is no problem on Carnival, the rule seems to be wear what you like.
Old January 27th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Personal pride in one's appearance, that's what I said, showing off for people you don't know. Wear something that shouts, "Look at me". Hey, if you're into that, go for it, I have nothing against you or anyone who dresses like that but don't think it makes you a better person than I am. I have lots of pride. Pride of my family history, where I am from, the hard worker that I am, and the friend that I am to many people. I don't need to dress in specefic clothing to display my pride.

I think the problem here is the definition for formal. To me, formal is a suit or a tux, and I own neither and never will. On our last cruise we went to our first ever formal night. I was wearing the exact dress pants and short sleeved dress shirt (no tie) that I have worn to the casual nights, and I wear to whatever bars we decide to visit that evening. What I wore is what I wear to work which is comfy and at work we call it "Business casual". If I was doing something wrong then I should have been turned away.
Krunch
This is what I call snobbery in reverse, thinking those who dress in accordance with the dress code somehow feel superior to those who don't. I think people feel a bit sorry for those who don't seem to understand the dress code thing, sometimes a little embarrassed for them too. Dress code is dress code if you don't respect it then you don't, trying to justify it doesn't really help. Cruise lines inform people what the are expected to wear, if they don't wear it & the staff don't ask them to change then the whole thing is a waste of time.Peopleknow the "rules" when they book...or should do.
Old January 27th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Captain

Reverse snobbery, nice ! If someone likes to dress up, because they get some personal satisfaction out of it then that is perfectly fine. The only person you should be attempting to please (impress) is yourself, and maybe your mate. You can not deny that there are people that do dress up for no other purpose but to show off, and I am not stereotyping the people who choose to dress up. I can not, and do not, differentiate between them. If I see a lady or a gentleman dressed to the nines, good for you, enjoy, no matter what the reason was that you dressed up, just don't expect my attention, or respect either for that matter, just because of your clothing? That's all I am saying. It's just clothing, or wrapping paper, I'm more interested in whats inside (the type of human being you are).

I know the (dress code) rules. They were posted above and apparently I didn't break them.

Krunch
Old January 27th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Admiral

People dress according to the dress code advised by the ship I think that should be respected, just good manners really. If the code says suit & tie & people turn up in a shirt & slacks I consider that to be bad manners.
As far as judging people by their appearance, I think we all do that, whether we realise it or not. The old chestnut of ''putting someone in a suit doesn't make them a gentleman''...no, but at least they tried!
It's all so easy really, people know what dress codes are on the ship when they book so why not just comply with them or choose another ship? Dress is not an issue with us when we book, wouldn't matter to us if it was formal every night or casual every night, we either accept it or not.
Old January 27th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Captain

Haven't you already said all of this in other posts?

Ok, you win.

Krunch
Old January 28th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Admiral

I wonder if the "change" is due to the change in how we book our cruises? I remember years ago, when one had to book through a travel agent (IMHO) one got better service from that travel agent.

I remember when we booked our first cruise, getting detailed instructions from the TA on the dress code, what to pack etc. Now, I sometimes book myself on the internet, and sometimes go to a TA for OBC or better deal. The "interactions" with the TA are quite limitted. In the last year, I've booked two cruises through TA's and neither one of them made ANY mention of what to pack or what to wear ....

Is it possible that travellers who've just started cruising in the last couple of years, have not been "educated' on cruising dress codes, .... pack what they do ... wear it .... get away it ..... and then the next person says, "there were so many men on formal night not wearing a tie, I'm not wearing a tie anymore either" ... and so it spreads?

I have no problem following dress code, if I know about it in advance. If booking a Cunard, meant that DH had to bring a tux ... then we'd bring a tux. If no one told us ... he'd just pack a suit.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old January 28th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Admiral

Is it just me, but a lot of the posts on formal night dress talk about what men 'have' to wear - I feel sorry for you guys - and believe me I don't say that very often. DJs/Tuxes/Sports Jackets etc

I do not think a man has to wear a tie - I certainly would not want to wear one! The last time I wore a tie was when I was at school and hated every minute of it.

Annie
Old January 28th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Admiral

to answer Kuki's original post..we no longer pack tux/formal dresses which means it saves me a suitor and we can fit everything into our 21 inch carry on bags and camera case/large purse..I just pack my all purpose classic blue blazer which folds rather well and does not wringle and a 2 nice pair of slacks (one black, one tan)..my lady friend brings a short black coctail dress and nice black slacks with 2 tops..that way we are prepared for everything

living in New Orleans, I have plenty of opportunities to wear my tux to various Mardi Gras Balls and fundraisers, so don't need to bring it on my cruise
Old January 28th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Haven't you already said all of this in other posts?

Ok, you win.

Krunch
Not a contest but if people don't understand I say it again...
Basically, wear what the ship asks or don't go.
Old January 28th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniegb View Post
Is it just me, but a lot of the posts on formal night dress talk about what men 'have' to wear - I feel sorry for you guys - and believe me I don't say that very often. DJs/Tuxes/Sports Jackets etc

I do not think a man has to wear a tie - I certainly would not want to wear one! The last time I wore a tie was when I was at school and hated every minute of it.

Annie
Dress codes are slanted towards what men are asked to wear, & yes it is one example where this is the case. A lady could just wear a pair of smart black trousers & a sparkly top on any code...It would make life easier though, cruises from Southampton we have about 5 cases, one just shoes, she must have taken 10 dresses on Azura.
PS.. wearing a tie isn't a problem if your shirt collar is the right size they are not tight.

Last edited by johnthed0g; January 28th, 2011 at 12:07 PM. Reason: ps
Old January 28th, 2011, 12:08 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Not a contest but if people don't understand I say it again...
Basically, wear what the ship asks or don't go.
I totally disagree. If the ship isn't going to enforce their own rules then they are basically saying the dress code is a guideline. If you consistently ignore rule breakers, disobedient dressers or whatever you want to call it, then you're condoning it by your lack of action.

And I know you're going to respond all about "Respect" but as long as your neat and tidy, the cruise line seems to think you're just fine and I'd be willing to bet if you phoned Celebrity, Princess, Carnival, HAL most of the mainstream lines and said, I want to sail your ship but I don't own a tux or a suit they say, don't worry, come along and give us your $$$ anyway and wear a trousers and a shirt.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old January 28th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Dress codes are slanted towards what men are asked to wear, & yes it is one example where this is the case. A lady could just wear a pair of smart black trousers & a sparkly top on any code...It would make life easier though, cruises from Southampton we have about 5 cases, one just shoes, she must have taken 10 dresses on Azura.
PS.. wearing a tie isn't a problem if your shirt collar is the right size they are not tight.
Well I think you have just provided evidence for the simplification of the dress code.

Although I am UK based, I would fly to SOTON - 5 cases no way! The luggage belt at SOTON airport could not cope

Smart trousers and smart shirt should be sufficient for the men and if some of you want to wear a suit fine but it should not be compulsory. I am all for equality of the sexes on this.

Annie
Old January 28th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackypup View Post
I totally disagree. If the ship isn't going to enforce their own rules then they are basically saying the dress code is a guideline. If you consistently ignore rule breakers, disobedient dressers or whatever you want to call it, then you're condoning it by your lack of action.

And I know you're going to respond all about "Respect" but as long as your neat and tidy, the cruise line seems to think you're just fine and I'd be willing to bet if you phoned Celebrity, Princess, Carnival, HAL most of the mainstream lines and said, I want to sail your ship but I don't own a tux or a suit they say, don't worry, come along and give us your $$$ anyway and wear a trousers and a shirt.
The last post was more directed at someone else, ''Krunch''.
What I think & have said is I would like to see cruiselines upholding the codes or just forgetting them altogether, a rule that is ignored is not a rule it's a nonsense. I don't much care what the code is, just go with the flow, but if there is a code I stick to it (except Azura I thought semi formal was a mistake)
Having cruised on P&O, Cunard & Celebrity those who don't stick to the code are very few, except on Azura on Semi-formal night, when about (total guess) 500 men did not wear a jacket. I did not go in public areas & stayed in the cabin, 499 took no notice & nothing much happened, a couple were asked to leave one bar was about all.
Old January 28th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniegb View Post
Well I think you have just provided evidence for the simplification of the dress code.

Although I am UK based, I would fly to SOTON - 5 cases no way! The luggage belt at SOTON airport could not cope

Smart trousers and smart shirt should be sufficient for the men and if some of you want to wear a suit fine but it should not be compulsory. I am all for equality of the sexes on this.

Annie
The "C" word...compulsory, they don't actually SAY compulsory & obviously don't mean it as they don't do anything about it. They also no longer say "suggested" either, they imply you have to do it but as I say do nothing if you don't. As I already said I was told on the ship not to use any inside public venues other than the buffet without a jacket
Old January 28th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Having cruised on P&O, Cunard & Celebrity those who don't stick to the code are very few, except on Azura on Semi-formal night, when about (total guess) 500 men did not wear a jacket. I did not go in public areas & stayed in the cabin, 499 took no notice & nothing much happened, a couple were asked to leave one bar was about all.
I don't pay any attention to the P & O or Cunard boards as I don't sail them but dress code seems to have gone rapidly downhill on Celebrity according to recent reviews. Somepeople that post here seem to be in complete denial (I'm not talking about you ) but recent posts on other boards are saying 10% of men in Tuxes and around 50% in suits, that leaves a lot under "other attire"

Cruise lines have to evolve. Some of the UK based one's probably not so much, the brits seem to enjoy their formal evenings (I'm not bashing, I am a brit). North American based lines are seeing a rapid decline in formal dress.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old January 28th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Captain

Quote:
The last post was more directed at someone else, ''Krunch''.
I already said you win. You can leave me alone now. If I mail you $20 will you stop posting the same thing over and over and over again?

Funny thing is you're commenting on the dress code in a CARNIVAL forum and according to your signature, you have never been on a Carnival ship.

Ok, that's it, this is my last post in this thread.

Krunch

Last edited by krunch; January 28th, 2011 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Found $20 in a parking lot.
Old January 28th, 2011, 02:33 PM
Familiar Face

Here we wear suits and dressy dresses or a dressy pant suit. Part of sailing for us.
Oct 2007-Carnival Liberty-First "Kids Free" Cruise
April 2009-Carnival Splendor-Swine Flu Cruise-Enjoyed San Fran
April 2010-Carnival Dream-Loved the cruise

To Come:
Jan 2012-Family Cruise on the Mariner of the Seas

"Boat Drink, Waitress I need 2 more Boat Drinks"
Old January 28th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&B View Post
...sigh...unfortunately easier said than done in the days before digital cameras. Guess a good 'ol pair of scissors would have to do at this point....

I've never been one to cut on my pics anyway-- not even the bad ones, and now the pictures 'tell a story' so guess at this point, I'm just stuck with 'em.

I hear you, and yes, it's their bad so-to-speak, but dress codes are rarely enforced it seems and cruisers know it and over time more and more cruisers dress up less and less and why I too, think formal nights will soon be a thing of the past. I actually enjoy not having the stressors of the additional shopping and packing all the extras for formal nights like I once did, but I must say, I am grateful to have had the opportunity to cruise at a time when about everyone on a ship did dress to the nines on formal night.

Different day and age I guess.

Beth
Not to worry! This is the era of very extreme advanced technology... simply scan the pictures then use photoshop to crop the crap!
Old January 28th, 2011, 03:18 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I'm pretty much with those who say "to each their own". I suppose the whole thing boils down to the purpose for which you are on a cruise. I certainly didn't go on a cruise to impress anyone or blow smoke up their butts. I went on a cruise to take a break from normal routine and the cold winter weather. I was there to relax and be comfortable. All of the people were really nice and friendly and pretty much the conversations were about where everyone is from and what they do for a living. I found it very interesting that we met a roofer, a young couple who had just finished their residency (he is an oral surgeon and she's some kind of doctor/brain surgeon) then we met another young couple who she graduated in museum studies and her fiance is in tech school for electrical engineering. With the some 2700 people on board we sat next to one couple who dressed somewhat elegantly, an older couple. He was in a tux and she was in very nice attire with glittering jewelry. Actually, they seemed proud but a bit uncomfortable in the spiffy outfits. I can say that they appeared well healed, he talked about enjoying fine wine and I told him honestly that I wouldn't know chablis from Boone's farm, Ripple, or Red Dagger. These cruise lines don't judge social class. They are there for the money... PERIOD! I went to live my own life, not to be judged and to enjoy myself and that we truly did. I would say that on an economical cruise such as is offered by Carnival you can expect to meet people from all walks of life and you can expect to have a very good time. If you want to hob knob with the elegant and wealthy then you will have to find a cruise which caters to that particular crowd... and expect to pay the price. My opinion is that we got a cruise to places that I never in my life thought I would be able to go to and for the price I doubt I could have had the same length of vacation on the beach in near as well appointed hotel, much less the entertainment and food for even close to the same price. On top of that, I don't care for the beach at all but do love being on the water and loved the beach we visited in Cozumel. My only regret was that we didn't make the right choice so that we could have spent more time on the beach or doing what we wanted to do in Cozumel and if I ever do go back I definitely will not book an excursion.
Old January 28th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I already said you win. You can leave me alone now. If I mail you $20 will you stop posting the same thing over and over and over again?

Funny thing is you're commenting on the dress code in a CARNIVAL forum and according to your signature, you have never been on a Carnival ship.

Ok, that's it, this is my last post in this thread.

Krunch
You keep commenting I will keep replying, if it means saying the same thing to the same question I'll keep saying it.
My comments are general about dress code, I have said that whatever code is on whatever cruiseline is the one you go by. I have used the codes from different lines as examples of how they differ, not as examples of what anyone should do, unless they are on that ship.
Old January 28th, 2011, 03:33 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyj View Post
I'm pretty much with those who say "to each their own". I suppose the whole thing boils down to the purpose for which you are on a cruise. I certainly didn't go on a cruise to impress anyone or blow smoke up their butts. I went on a cruise to take a break from normal routine and the cold winter weather. I was there to relax and be comfortable. All of the people were really nice and friendly and pretty much the conversations were about where everyone is from and what they do for a living. I found it very interesting that we met a roofer, a young couple who had just finished their residency (he is an oral surgeon and she's some kind of doctor/brain surgeon) then we met another young couple who she graduated in museum studies and her fiance is in tech school for electrical engineering. With the some 2700 people on board we sat next to one couple who dressed somewhat elegantly, an older couple. He was in a tux and she was in very nice attire with glittering jewelry. Actually, they seemed proud but a bit uncomfortable in the spiffy outfits. I can say that they appeared well healed, he talked about enjoying fine wine and I told him honestly that I wouldn't know chablis from Boone's farm, Ripple, or Red Dagger. These cruise lines don't judge social class. They are there for the money... PERIOD! I went to live my own life, not to be judged and to enjoy myself and that we truly did. I would say that on an economical cruise such as is offered by Carnival you can expect to meet people from all walks of life and you can expect to have a very good time. If you want to hob knob with the elegant and wealthy then you will have to find a cruise which caters to that particular crowd... and expect to pay the price. My opinion is that we got a cruise to places that I never in my life thought I would be able to go to and for the price I doubt I could have had the same length of vacation on the beach in near as well appointed hotel, much less the entertainment and food for even close to the same price. On top of that, I don't care for the beach at all but do love being on the water and loved the beach we visited in Cozumel. My only regret was that we didn't make the right choice so that we could have spent more time on the beach or doing what we wanted to do in Cozumel and if I ever do go back I definitely will not book an excursion.
So...you basically enjoyed the cruise, would you do it again?
Old January 28th, 2011, 04:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Much to do about nothing. I do not care what my fellow cruiser does or how he is dressed as long as he keeps the noise down and does not save seats out on the deck.