Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 25th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default The "New Formal" - Pack differently?

Seems the last few years the cruise world has a "new formal".

Do you still pack tuxedos and gowns, or suits and fancy dresses ?
Old January 25th, 2011, 04:36 PM
Admiral

Suits and fancy dresses for us.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old January 25th, 2011, 05:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Its wonderful, nothing more than 1 pair of long paints and a couple or collared shirts. My suit and tie will never be on a cruise again Yeah..............
Old January 25th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Familiar Face

No more fancy dresses for me. Just dress slacks.

Beth
Enchanted Seas
Enchanted Isle x4

Seawind
Seawind Crown
Celebrity
Horizon
Carnival
Celebration x5
Festivale
Fascination
Inspiration
Conquest x2
Elation- PLATINUM

Magic x2
Norwegian
Sea x3
Star
Dream
Spirit

Need some cruise help?

Need some cruise help?
Old January 25th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Admiral

Those who don't want to dress up for dinner...why not, don't you wish to look nice.
Old January 25th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
Those who don't want to dress up for dinner...why not, don't you wish to look nice.
John .. on Carnival, they no longer even call it Formal Night... their term for it is "Elegant Night", and according to their own rules, a collared shirt and slacks is all that is required.
Old January 25th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

"Formal" night in general, is not the corseted laced up gown anymore for the ladies,or a tux for the man..but a nice suit,and dressy seperates for the ladies...These we bring...to those who don't I would ask, would you go into the dining room on formal night dressed casually?

Packingin general has changed due to the rigid restrictions and fees.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 25th, 2011, 07:21 PM
First Mate

In 5 years it will be gone. More and more people are dressing up less and less. Look at the Big change in the last 5 years.
Old January 25th, 2011, 08:55 PM
Admiral

I personally don’t care if people dress up or not. We always do for elegant night and just wear slacks and a nice blouse on the other nights. I truly believe you have to do what’s right for you as long as you’re not a slob.:eek:
I also don't judge people because they choose not to get all dressed up, what ever floats thier boat!

Need some cruise help?
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014

Last edited by Aerogirl; January 25th, 2011 at 09:00 PM.
Old January 25th, 2011, 10:41 PM
Admiral

A staff person from HAL on my most recent cruise said that by 2012 formal nights may be a thing of the past .
Old January 25th, 2011, 11:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
A staff person from HAL on my most recent cruise said that by 2012 formal nights may be a thing of the past .
I wouldn't doubt it.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old January 26th, 2011, 07:04 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
to those who don't I would ask, would you go into the dining room on formal night dressed casually?
Years ago when there was "formal night" on every cruise ship, we were dressed to the nines and the other group 'we were stuck with for the week' at dinner showed up in shorts and T-shirts. At that time, no one was to even be allowed to enter the dining room in shorts at any time during the week, much less formal night, but I imagine someone received a big fat tip to keep their mouths shut and allow them in.

Every time I look back at my photos from that night it still sticks in my craw. Totally ruined my photos. Should have cut them out of my photos a long time ago...lol

Times have changed, however, and it's just not all that to dress to the nines on many cruise ships anymore. Though I would never be so low class as to show up on "elegant" night in shorts and T-shirt, the days of glitz and glamour are behind me. I had fun with it back then, but just not a big deal to dress so fancy-shmancy anymore. Very few others make such a big deal either. These days it's just dress slacks and blouse for me.

Beth
Enchanted Seas
Enchanted Isle x4

Seawind
Seawind Crown
Celebrity
Horizon
Carnival
Celebration x5
Festivale
Fascination
Inspiration
Conquest x2
Elation- PLATINUM

Magic x2
Norwegian
Sea x3
Star
Dream
Spirit

Need some cruise help?

Need some cruise help?
Old January 26th, 2011, 07:19 AM
Admiral

on the full charter Capital Jazz SuperCruise on the Carnival Liberty , theme nights have taken the place of formal nights which has been a big hit with the guests..we have a black/white night where you can be as formal or informal as you like (so you could see tux/formal gowns but also could see creative outfits with sneakers)...70's night (some of the outfits make a formal night attire seem tame)..favorite football jersey night which includes a tailgate party as well as watching the game on the pool deck big screen and a post game concert

I think that is the way regular cruises should move towards
Old January 26th, 2011, 09:12 AM
Cruise Maniac

Having to wear my "professional" wardrobe to work every day, the last thing I want to worry about is dressing up on our cruise. To my husband and I, its about being comfortable. Cheers to those who want to put on the formal ware. I love looking at your beautiful dresses and of course, the shoes (I just love the shoes). But, this is a case of "to each his own".
Old January 26th, 2011, 09:20 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2vacation63 View Post
Having to wear my "professional" wardrobe to work every day, the last thing I want to worry about is dressing up on our cruise. To my husband and I, its about being comfortable. Cheers to those who want to put on the formal ware. I love looking at your beautiful dresses and of course, the shoes (I just love the shoes). But, this is a case of "to each his own".
Well said !
Old January 26th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Familiar Face

Mrs. Brown and I didn't care to drag suits and fancy dresses along to our first cruise on the Inspiration in 2002, so we figured we'd just sit formal night out and eat at the buffet. When our waiter (a magnificent gent from Colombia named Oscar) heard of our plans he would have absolutely none of it, and insisted that we attend and would not accept our explanation of inadequate dress. Finally he said he'd meet us at the back door to the dining room and seat us, so we didn't have to pass by the Maitre d. After we were seated we realized that "formal night" in the dining room is really no big deal and we've never looked back. We wear nice clothes every night in the dining room, but I'm still not about to take a suit with me on vacation, especially with the increasingly restrictive airline baggage policies.

While some may be understandably sorry to see "Formal Night" disappear, I'm sure the majority will not miss it.

Side note: I've always regretted not getting a picture of Oscar and his assistant Henrietta from Slovakia- something I haven't overlooked on successive cruises. He was a very nice man and a fantastic waiter; he really "made the trip" for us like none has since.

Andy
Old January 26th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Admiral

I still like to dress-up. For my 4 year old - teh best part of a cruise is wearing a party-dress every night.

It won't ruin my dinner, if I'm dressed to the 9s and you are at the next table wearing cut-offs and flip flops.

My daddy always said it was better to be the best dressed person in the room than the worst dressed.

On Sovereign last fall, a young guy in his 20s was turned away from breakfast in the MDR - he was wearing a muscle shirt and a baseball hat.

Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old January 26th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
John .. on Carnival, they no longer even call it Formal Night... their term for it is "Elegant Night", and according to their own rules, a collared shirt and slacks is all that is required.
So no problem then, Carnival don't ask you to dress up so don't. It's when the cruise line DOES ask you to dress up & you don't. Personally I don't mind what they say, if they say dress we dress or don't go, if they say no dress code that's OK too, our first cruise was on Ocean Village...no codes there.
Old January 26th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2vacation63 View Post
If your clothes are uncomfortable blame the clothes not the dress code!!
If the ship asks for a certain standard of dress either accept it or don't go, I think.
Old January 26th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Oakville View Post
I still like to dress-up. For my 4 year old - teh best part of a cruise is wearing a party-dress every night.

It won't ruin my dinner, if I'm dressed to the 9s and you are at the next table wearing cut-offs and flip flops.

My daddy always said it was better to be the best dressed person in the room than the worst dressed.

On Sovereign last fall, a young guy in his 20s was turned away from breakfast in the MDR - he was wearing a muscle shirt and a baseball hat.
I do feel a bit put out when people ignore the dress codes, it seems disrespectful somehow.
Old January 26th, 2011, 06:44 PM
Admiral

JTD, I think the problem lies in the definition of formal.

For you and I, formal = tux and for ladies = long dress?;

Now you and I have disagreed on this in the past but per Trip, I dress Formal but I suspect using your 'perceived by me' definition of formal, I dress smart casual.

I think the use of Formal needs to be clarified.

Now based on what you and other CMs have posted, I and others will never sail Cunard or P&O simply because of their dress codes. My choice but, for me, tuxes etc are just OTT. I suspect I would conform to all other vessels dress codes.

I suspect there is a geographical/age bias in this?

Annie
Old January 26th, 2011, 07:05 PM
Admiral

Don't see the confusion, we just follow what the cruise line requests, for instance this is what P&O say...

Formal
This is the opportunity for ladies to wear formal evening wear such as an evening dress, smart trouser suit or a cocktail dress. For men, a dinner jacket or tuxedo are the norm, otherwise a dark lounge/ business suit and tie or formal national dress is fine. (Applies to all ships.)
Semi-Formal
Ladies can wear anything from tailored trousers to smart separates or an elegant dress, while men are required to wear a smart shirt and trousers with a jacket such as a blazer or sports jacket. A suit and tie may be worn but is not compulsory. (Semi-Formal applies to Arcadia, Artemis, Aurora, Azura and Oriana only.)
Smart Casual
Stylish resort or leisurewear is ideal, for example casual separates or dresses for ladies and open-neck polo shirts and casual trousers (not shorts) for men. A jacket and smart trousers may be worn but are not compulsory. Smart dark denim may be worn however we request that the following items are not worn: sportswear, e.g. trainers, football shirts and tracksuits. Bring your brightest clothes for our Tropical evenings. (Applies to all ships.)
Old January 26th, 2011, 07:09 PM
Admiral

Celebrity say this...

Smart Casual and Above

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) complemented by sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours. Additionally, guests are asked to follow the "Smart Casual and Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

Formal

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown or dressy pantsuit

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket with slacks
Old January 26th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Admiral

JTD - Thanks.

As it happens, I overdress most of the time

I still think DJs and Tuxes are OTT - JMHO

Annie

I will still stick with the smaller vessels with no formal dress codes
Old January 26th, 2011, 07:20 PM
Admiral

[QUOTE=johnthed0g;1346638]Don't see the confusion, we just follow what the cruise line requests, for instance this is what P&O say...

Formal
This is the opportunity for ladies to wear formal evening wear such as an evening dress, smart trouser suit or a cocktail dress. For men, a dinner jacket or tuxedo are the norm, otherwise a dark lounge/ business suit and tie or formal national dress is fine. (Applies to all ships.)

Funny I do not see the word 'compulsory'

Annie
Old January 26th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Admiral

That is the guide as to what to wear, to hopefully avoid confusion.
From P&O what to wear...'' The dress code is applicable to all passengers of 18 years and over and we request that on Formal or Semi-Formal evenings children wear, as a minimum, Smart Casual dress, however on these occasions dark denim is not permitted. In the evenings all restaurants and bars comply with the dress code of the evening, with the exception of the buffet.''
The trouble is they don't!!

Last edited by johnthed0g; January 26th, 2011 at 07:47 PM. Reason: addition
Old January 26th, 2011, 08:55 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
...and those people that showed up at my table on formal night in shorts and T-shirts didn't ruin my dinner either-- just my pictures...

Beth
Enchanted Seas
Enchanted Isle x4

Seawind
Seawind Crown
Celebrity
Horizon
Carnival
Celebration x5
Festivale
Fascination
Inspiration
Conquest x2
Elation- PLATINUM

Magic x2
Norwegian
Sea x3
Star
Dream
Spirit

Need some cruise help?

Need some cruise help?
Old January 27th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&B View Post
...and those people that showed up at my table on formal night in shorts and T-shirts didn't ruin my dinner either-- just my pictures...

Beth
... and that is what photo shop is for ... crop them out!

I guess I look at it more for them perspective of having a private table. If on a "formal" night at a mixed table....we're all dressed up, and someshows up not meeting dress code ....it's "their bad" so to speak.

To me it takes a lot of nerve, to show up breaking dress code, but whatever floats your boat. Maybe the dress codes should focus on "what is not permitted" vs. "what is encouraged".

Dress codes are only as good as the people who enforce them. WE've all seen people in jeans on formal nite ... but the onus is on the dress code police to enforce it and turn them away from the dining room.

Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old January 27th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Admiral

You need a code that is rigidly enforced or nothing at all, saying people can choose for themselves is hopeless, surely the idea is for a ''themed night'' not a ''mish mash'' of different styles? & yes I said ''night'' not just go to dinner then rip off the tie, discard the jacket, or even worse go & change into casual clothes, may as well not bother.
Old January 27th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
... and that is what photo shop is for ... crop them out!
...sigh...unfortunately easier said than done in the days before digital cameras. Guess a good 'ol pair of scissors would have to do at this point....

I've never been one to cut on my pics anyway-- not even the bad ones, and now the pictures 'tell a story' so guess at this point, I'm just stuck with 'em.

I hear you, and yes, it's their bad so-to-speak, but dress codes are rarely enforced it seems and cruisers know it and over time more and more cruisers dress up less and less and why I too, think formal nights will soon be a thing of the past. I actually enjoy not having the stressors of the additional shopping and packing all the extras for formal nights like I once did, but I must say, I am grateful to have had the opportunity to cruise at a time when about everyone on a ship did dress to the nines on formal night.

Different day and age I guess.

Beth
Enchanted Seas
Enchanted Isle x4

Seawind
Seawind Crown
Celebrity
Horizon
Carnival
Celebration x5
Festivale
Fascination