Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 27th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Mazatlan

I heard last night on the news that some ships are canceling Mazatlan Port of Call.

Unless things have really got bad there since Nov, I can't see why. We have been going there for 20 years and now own a time share which we use once a year. Never had a problem. Like anything else, be careful where you go, stay in the Golden Zone.
Nov.2005 CCL - Spirit
Aug.2007 PCL - Crown Princess
Feb.2008 CCL - Spirit
Oct.2009 CCL - Elation
Jan.2010 CCL - Splender
Feb.2011 CCL - Spirit (Cabo)
Jul. 2011 CCL -Spirit (Alaska)
Oct.2011 CCL- Dream-(W.Caribbean)
Feb.2012 CCL - Spirit ( Cabo)
Dec. 2012 CCL- Splendor ( Cabo)
Sponsored Links
Old January 27th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I understand your concern if you own a timeshare there. You don't want the reputation of it going down.

As a regular cruiser I have been there twice in the last year, and I just don't see any real attraction. The "Golden Zone" during the day is just another Mexican shopping district, and not even nearly as nice as Cabo, for example. Plus, it is a $10 or $15 cab ride from the ship each way.

I am sorry, but I think they have stopped going there mostly because people are saying that it is boring. They save on fuel and can have an extra day at sea.

It will be interesting to see what happens, but Mexico has some serious tourist problems now, and California cruising is in trouble if they don't fix things soon.
Old January 27th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Paul, I have to agree as being boring other than having a nice time share to just relax and some nice places to eat out at night.

Have seen Mazatlan go down in excitement the past 3 years or so. A lot of the nice places to eat are now closed.

I will see Cabo in a few weeks. Lucky they also have a sister time share as well so that is one reason why we are going so that we can check it out and trade the next year.
Nov.2005 CCL - Spirit
Feb.2008 CCL - Spirit
Oct.2009 CCL - Elation
Jan.2010 CCL - Splender
Old January 28th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I actually just read an interesting AP article that says tourism in Mexico is actually UP inthe last year by 7% - so resorts and all-inclsuives are not feeling the "violence" hit that the cruise lines say they are experiencing.

I have to say - the violence in Mexico has been there for a long time. My parent company asked me last year why I didnt mention that in my articles about ships leaving California (last year) and I replied "because the cruise lines have never said it was an issue with their cruises. It is mostly in the border states."

The governor of Sinaloa says there have been only a very few minor incidents with cruisers.

He is correct - the cruise incidents have been far less than what has happened in St Thomas, Jamaica and Nassau, where busloads of people have been highjacked and held up, and one girl died in street crossfire.

Are the cruise lines being in honest in why they are not going to Mazatlan? Are cruisers saying it is too dangerous? Or they just using that for an excuse - because by their reasoning they should also stop going to Nassau.
Old January 28th, 2011, 10:10 PM
Admiral

Mexico took a big hit with the Swine Fly fiasco so I'm not surprised tourism was up. Personally, I have no concerns about safety in Mexico.
Old January 31st, 2011, 03:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Mexico

Take a look at Events at sea 2011. It shows many ships stories and why they are no longer going there. All Cruise Ship Passengers need to be kept safe. It is the #1 priority. I put the link to the website below. Ed

Events at Sea 2011
Old January 31st, 2011, 03:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for the link.
Nov.2005 CCL - Spirit
Feb.2008 CCL - Spirit
Oct.2009 CCL - Elation
Jan.2010 CCL - Splender
Old March 19th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Cruise Maniac

Guess they are trying to work out things Just found this on "Cruise Articles"

Quote:
2-2-11
Carnival and NCL Ships Return to Mazatlan
The web site "Travel Pulse" is reporting that both Carnival Cruise Lines' Carnival Spirit and Norwegian Cruise Line's Norwegian Star both called on Mazatlan, Mexico, on Feb. 1, just days after other lines cancelled calls at the port due to reports of crime against passengers.

"Over the weekend, members of our Security Services management team from our headquarters in Miami met with local law enforcement and government officials in Mazatlan to review their plan for increased security," Carnival said in a statement. "Mexican authorities agreed to place extra security personnel in all the main tourist areas, including all shore excursion sites."

NCL said it has "been closely monitoring the situation in Mazatlan. At this time, the U.S. Department of State has not deemed Mazatlan an at-risk area for traveling. We hope our guests enjoy their visit to Mazatlan, but do encourage them in any port to always be aware of their surroundings and exercise caution and good judgment."

Over the weekend the two cruise lines met with tourist officials from Mazatlan and executives from the Florida-Caribbean Cruise Association to review the security measures that have been taken and further outline Mazatlan's commitment to ensuring the safety of cruise passengers.

On Jan. 25, Disney Cruise Line announced it was cancelling the Disney Wonder's calls at Mazatlan, Mexico, due to the "changing environment." Holland America Line and Princess Cruises also to temporarily cancelled Mazatlan calls.
Nov.2005 CCL - Spirit
Feb.2008 CCL - Spirit
Oct.2009 CCL - Elation
Jan.2010 CCL - Splender
Old March 19th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Captain

Smile

I have been watching the bridge cam on the Sapphire Princce and last week she was down in Mexico and it seemed to me she spent an extra day in Cabo not going to Maza, then headed north back to L.A