Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 28th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Familiar Face

Thumbs down Mexico

Crusing to Cozumel and Progresso. We've been to Coz numerous times, in the past, but never to Progresso. With Mexico in the news so much lately one has to ask, "Is it safe?". If you have travelled these two areas of late, please expound on your experience.

Also, any excursion ideas for Progresso would be great.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old January 28th, 2011, 11:20 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Not much there...take the bus or book an excursion to Merida..a beautiful old colonial city...I know someone who, after doing this, now goes to Merida, all the time...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 28th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Familiar Face

Try staying on the ship. Is nice because you can see everything without a crowd. Have done several times and is so relaxing. Also the spa sometimes has redued prices if you are into this.
Oct 2007-Carnival Liberty-First "Kids Free" Cruise
April 2009-Carnival Splendor-Swine Flu Cruise-Enjoyed San Fran
April 2010-Carnival Dream-Loved the cruise

To Come:
Jan 2012-Family Cruise on the Mariner of the Seas

"Boat Drink, Waitress I need 2 more Boat Drinks"
Old January 28th, 2011, 11:46 AM
Admiral

Years ago we went to the Mayan ruins at Dzibilchaltun. They were interesting but if you have been to other Mayan heritage sites you might want to skip it. I'm not sure I would recommend Chichen Itza - it is a long bus ride from Progreso.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old January 28th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd View Post
Years ago we went to the Mayan ruins at Dzibilchaltun. They were interesting but if you have been to other Mayan heritage sites you might want to skip it. I'm not sure I would recommend Chichen Itza - it is a long bus ride from Progreso.
I can definitely agree with this! We stopped in Progresso and took the excursion to the Mayan ruins. It was very nice an interesting since this is something I studied in my high school Spanish class. I made the mistake of not wearing my bathing suit so I could take a dip in the well. Once we got to Cozumel the excursion we went on (shopping & sightseeing) was a big waste of our time. So much of it was just a repeat of what we had already seen or heard about the Mayan ruins, the bit about the calendar, they discovered the "zero", all about the ancient history of the Mayans. We spent far too much time watching a film which kind of p.o.'ed me because I can watch t.v. at home! It all cut into my vacationing time. Then we made a couple of stops for 15-20 minutes which made me feel short changed... ONLY 20 MINUTES on the beach! I was broken hearted about that one! Now, since I've got a little experience I will never book more than one excursion on a cruise, if any at all.... also, I fell for the tanzanite sales pitch but fortunately I didn't invest heavily, only $199 which was billed to my master card tho' I was told the price was $189 and I didn't haggle down the price. I took it all in as a learning experience and now will be buying a jeweler's loop and learning how to identify and appraise jewels. I am a total novice at jewelry/gems.
Old January 28th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman
Default Progreso

Progreso is safe, at least much safer than most. There's really not enough people there for any drug cartels to operate, it's really small. Progreso is a jumping off spot for some great tours. You can have a fun day in town too. I've have a dozen or more trips to Progreso that I mention on my blog if your interested. Just search Progreso. Also Yucatan Today has great information. If you don't go to Chichen Itza then Dzibilchaltun is very interesting if you want to see the Mayan ruins. It's also much larger than anything you will find on the island of Cozumel. Yes if you wear a swim suit combo then you can swim in the cenote at Dzibilchaltun. We've been to Merida many times, it's a beautiful city. A trip to see the flamingos is interesting as well. Lot's to do. Depending on the weather the beach can be really beautiful or just so so. It is on the Gulf not in the Caribbean. Wishing you good luck!!

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.

Last edited by Snoozeman; January 28th, 2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old January 28th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Admiral

I think Progreso is great and perfectly safe.

Here are links to some of the things I've done there:

Progreso: Sept 2010, Chichen Itza: Page1 Page2 Page3 Page4
Progreso Feb 09 Uxmal
Progreso Dec 07
Caves and Caverns Tour Sept07
Uxmal/Progreso Sept 2004
Old January 28th, 2011, 11:19 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks, everyone =)
Old January 30th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Familiar Face

We have met some of the nicest people in Progresso. It is safe to walk around - we wandered all over town last time and everyone was so helpful. If you like ruins don't overlook the Uxmal tour out of Progresso. To save some $$$ you can book tours directly with Auto Progresso (same company Carnival uses). They are great. We've been there 6 or 7 times and have done Merida, a tour of the local area through Auto Progresso that was great, also just gone to the beach and wandered the city on our own with no problems whatsoever. We'll be back in May and are looking at the Reef Club All inclusive through Auto Progresso.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 02:17 AM
Familiar Face

Thanks Deb... going to check out Auto Progresso.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 03:21 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy Loves To Cruise View Post
Thanks Deb... going to check out Auto Progresso.
If your going to do a seach, it might help to spell Progreso correctly.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 09:45 AM
Admiral

Actually Carnival doesn't use Autoprogreso, but you can save some money using Autoprogreso.

Autoprogreso DOES provide the free shuttle buses that run from the Progreso cruise terminal to the mainland (several miles).

One difference between the two tours is that the buses for Carnival tours leave from the cruise terminal and for Autoprogreso tours, you need to take the free shuttle to/from town. Not that one way is necessarily better than the other.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 03:47 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozeman View Post
If your going to do a seach, it might help to spell Progreso correctly.
! Sure thing!
Old February 3rd, 2011, 03:48 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks, zydecocruiser