CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   can I carry on a small fan? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/379978-can-i-carry-small-fan.html)

cherylroy January 29th, 2011 03:09 PM

can I carry on a small fan?

I have to sleep with a fan - to block out hubby snoring and just for the noise. Can I carry on a small fan? I usually pack it - but it takes up 1/2 my suitcase with the box. Can I carry it on in my carry on bag? I carry on a few water bottles and a wine bottle too.

rollerdonna January 29th, 2011 04:20 PM

I don't see why not, although the electrical parts might be questioned by security, but I can't see a fan being considered a "terrorist threat".

donna

johnthed0g January 29th, 2011 04:27 PM

I had honestly never heard of this "fan for noise" thing until I used cruise forums, & US sites mainly. The aircon makes a noise...

zydecocruiser January 29th, 2011 05:09 PM

If it has a power cord, Carnival seems to have been taking a closer look. From a safety aspect, not a terrorist aspect. Battery powered seems to be ok and sound machines are ok.

john_galt January 29th, 2011 05:16 PM

We travel with an iPod docking station. It's very small with speakers on each end. It gives us the ability to play a little music to help us drift off to sleep. I love having this little piece of our 'at home' routine.

johnthed0g January 29th, 2011 05:25 PM

Noise is the last thing I want, a nice quiet cabin.

cherylroy January 29th, 2011 06:43 PM

I want quiet too --------- from the BEAR I sleep with at night! LOL... But....no one really answered the question.

cherylroy January 29th, 2011 06:56 PM

well, guess I'll shove it in the suitcase again - looked on carnival site and no electrical items (toasters, irons, etc) so a fan may run in that category.

johnthed0g January 29th, 2011 07:09 PM

It's one of those things that you should ask the cruise line, even then you could call ten people & get ten answers! If you are not flying I don't think it will matter, if you are flying then it's a whole new ball game.

zydecocruiser January 29th, 2011 07:37 PM

For a while, they were confiscating just about all fans with a cord. It really isn't black and white.

They still have on carnival.com

" Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords will be removed if determined to pose a hazard and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark. "

That still leaves it up in the air and pretty much on a ship by ship, cruise by cruise basis.

Frequently Asked Questions, Information | FAQs | Carnival Cruise Lines

Trip January 29th, 2011 07:41 PM

What about a little white noise machine?

Donna January 29th, 2011 07:56 PM

I have brought one in the past, but what works even better, if you have a balcony, is leave the door open a crack and listen to the waves hitting the ship. What a wonderful noise.

cherylroy January 29th, 2011 08:34 PM

Donna I totally agree! I do, however love the breeze on my head when I sleep. :-) Maybe I'll sleep on the Lido! :-) thanks friends for all your answers. See ya when I get back!

Dutchman January 29th, 2011 08:34 PM

Turn the TV to play music.

Aerogirl January 30th, 2011 11:13 AM

Get yourself some ear plugs and Lunesta, you won't hear a thing!:)

lhp January 31st, 2011 08:14 PM

I just bought a fairly flat (easy to pack) noise machine at Bed Bath and Beyond that plugs in for home use and runs on batteries for cruises.....

and it is wonderful. I think it was less than $20....

It will run all night OR for 15-30-60 minutes.

I also have a small fan that runs on batteries. 2 D batteries will run it every night for a week. But those are for the hot flashes...it does not make a lot of noise....I got it at Walmart.

Beau222 February 3rd, 2013 05:10 AM

We always take our Dyson Fan and let me tell you it is a hit with all the room stewards. They are amazed by it. And yes first thing I do is have Maint remove the Air Deflector so that the air can come down in force and I use my fan for Noise and Circulation.

Marsdude February 3rd, 2013 10:30 AM

On my last cruise we had the Kiss Cruise ship right next to us at dock. I assure you they had a lot of fans on board and the cruise line did not mind. ;)

Seriously, a "white noise" machine or one of the many small devices that will produce sounds of rain, surf, etc. would take up less room.

If you have a smart phone they will have apps for this. I use a bluetooth speaker with mine but you could probably just use the phones speaker if it went loud enough.

faraway February 4th, 2013 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherylroy (Post 1347638)
I have to sleep with a fan - to block out hubby snoring and just for the noise. Can I carry on a small fan? I usually pack it - but it takes up 1/2 my suitcase with the box. Can I carry it on in my carry on bag? I carry on a few water bottles and a wine bottle too.

A few years ago I found some small plastic table fans in Target for $1.88 each (bought 10). I too need the white noise to sleep at night, so I bring one on every cruise. I don't bring the box, just stick it in the suitcase. If yours takes up 1/2 of your suitcase maybe you should bring a smaller fan. I haven't had any problems yet. For the price, I don't care if the fan should be confiscated.