Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 4th, 2011, 02:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman
Default Carnival and Belize

I hope the tender 'situation' in Belize is resolved soon.

I have a call there at the end of the month on the Glory and would hate to miss it. Costa Maya is nice if we could go there. I do agree with Carnivals decision to not call on Belize until it is resolved. I would hate another 'sea day' though.

Does anyone else have a port call in Belize any time soon?

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Sponsored Links
Old February 4th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Familiar Face

We're sailing on the Legend and are scheduled to stop there on March 3rd. I haven't booked anything just in case we don't stop. I haven't been to either port so it doesn't really matter to me, but I suppert Carnival is whatever decision they make.

Carnival Legend
Old February 4th, 2011, 04:10 PM
Familiar Face

Default Carnival hmmm

Actually, I have been living in Belize for the past 10 years. When I moved there, the cruise ships weren't even coming to Belize.
Once they opened Belize as a port, Carnival made a deal with the local government about tenders. They have been using these tenders for years. In fact, companies took out loans to purchase vessels to meet Carnivals requirements. Now, Carnival wants to use their own tenders to increase their profits and are trying to force Belize into not using the tenders they have been using for years.
I think Carnival cruises are great, but I don't like what they are doing to their passengers as you never know what tricks they will pull.
Belize is an awesome port and with the incredible Mayan Ruins and the super cool Cave Tubing, I hope Carnival quits playing these games. How much more money does Carnival need to make anyways?
Most people don't realize what is really happening, but when you live here, you tend have a bit more information than most.
Old February 4th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiigirl100 View Post
Actually, I have been living in Belize for the past 10 years. When I moved there, the cruise ships weren't even coming to Belize.
Once they opened Belize as a port, Carnival made a deal with the local government about tenders. They have been using these tenders for years. In fact, companies took out loans to purchase vessels to meet Carnivals requirements. Now, Carnival wants to use their own tenders to increase their profits and are trying to force Belize into not using the tenders they have been using for years.
I think Carnival cruises are great, but I don't like what they are doing to their passengers as you never know what tricks they will pull.
Belize is an awesome port and with the incredible Mayan Ruins and the super cool Cave Tubing, I hope Carnival quits playing these games. How much more money does Carnival need to make anyways?
Most people don't realize what is really happening, but when you live here, you tend have a bit more information than most.
Actually, I will disagree. If you live in Belize it is MORE LIKELY that you are only hearing one side of the argument. The Belize side. We have also had to delete some of your posts in the past for advertising excursions in Belize.

Ten years ago the cruise ships were much smaller and the tenders were probably sufficient. Just because what they used then was acceptable doesn't mean they are in 2011.

I love Belize. I have been there many times including last month. I may or may not return on the 23rd depending on if this is worked out or not. I visited the new tourism areas recently opened outside the 'tourist fence' and they are a good beginning. There is still a lot to be improved, but the tender issue is not a place to start. I think your new government and Prime Minister picked a fight they can not win.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.

Last edited by Snoozeman; February 4th, 2011 at 08:47 PM.