CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   cove balcony (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/380429-cove-balcony.html)

mlschef February 13th, 2011 08:39 PM

cove balcony

Looking at the Dream for later this summer. Anyone stayed in a cove balcony before and have an opinion on it?
We've done regular balcony rooms on the Valor.

Thanks

zydecocruiser February 13th, 2011 09:44 PM

We love Cove Balconies and have one booked for a b2b on Carnival Magic in a few months.

Here are pictures of the one on Carnival Dream:
Carnival Dream Cove Balconies

dezertcruzer February 13th, 2011 09:58 PM

Great pictures! What did they do with the balcony furniture when they came along and closed the weather doors?

mlschef February 13th, 2011 10:13 PM

A picture is worth a thousand words........thanks for sharing. I think that answered my question. I'll be talking to our Carnival person tomorrow.

zydecocruiser February 13th, 2011 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dezertcruzer (Post 1352121)
Great pictures! What did they do with the balcony furniture when they came along and closed the weather doors?

We took it inside. Chairs went under the bed and we had an extra table which was good since we had filled the other one.

ruthlessboss February 14th, 2011 07:11 AM

They sure look cozy and basically private.

Are those "storm doors" closed because these balconies sit quite low on the ship?

Aerogirl February 14th, 2011 01:10 PM

I don't like the boats right above my head when I look up, that would be a deal breaker for me. I want to see the sky and stars, but thats just me.

DreadLockCruiser February 28th, 2011 01:28 PM

My personal cruise planner talked me out of getting one. He said there are times when they will close access and/or times when you'll be getting wet. They are very low to the water.

zydecocruiser March 1st, 2011 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruthlessboss (Post 1352147)
They sure look cozy and basically private.

Are those "storm doors" closed because these balconies sit quite low on the ship?

Only closed in case of anticipated extreme weather when you wouldn't want to be on the balcony, anyway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerogirl (Post 1352225)
I don't like the boats right above my head when I look up, that would be a deal breaker for me. I want to see the sky and stars, but thats just me.

They aren't for everyone, however, many people don/t like looking down and having their view blocked by the promenade deck, and below that, the lifeboats.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DreadLockCruiser (Post 1356035)
My personal cruise planner talked me out of getting one. He said there are times when they will close access and/or times when you'll be getting wet. They are very low to the water.

They aren't that close and are very popular. Carnival often offers upgrades to people to switch from these least expensive balconies to something higher, noisier, smellier, and less private.

Gail4cruising March 4th, 2011 11:15 PM

I LOVE the cove balcony. I have been on Dream twice and only want a cove balcony for future cruises. I loved being that close to the water. Of course, you are gambling that if the water gets rough they may seal off the door until the water is not so rough. I would definately risk it though for my future Dream cruises!

Fern March 5th, 2011 06:10 PM

Thanks for the great pictures! We've booked a cove balcony on the Carnival Magic. It looks like we'll enjoy the cabin and save about enough to pay the auto-tips.

BTW, is that a John Heald bobblehead doll looking out the window :D?

zydecocruiser March 6th, 2011 09:45 PM

It is absolutely a John Bobbleheald!

RTALLEN March 7th, 2011 08:31 PM

That cove balcony looks cozy. but unless you're facing the sun, it obviously wouldn't be the best place on the ship to work on your tan. That close to the water, it would be a cool place to do a little deep sea fishing if you could smuggle a fishing rod on board:rolleyes:.

fun2cruiz March 11th, 2011 12:12 AM

yes....cove balconies seem to be the rage right now, but not appealing to me at all nor my clients. All that bulk metal surrounding me.....just is not appealing at all, I want a full view when I look out the door leading out to my balcony and not ubstructed by a bunch of steel.

zydecocruiser March 11th, 2011 11:36 PM

Different strokes. When I look down I like to see water. Not the promenade deck or lifeboats.

Aerogirl March 12th, 2011 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zydecocruiser (Post 1358860)
Different strokes. When I look down I like to see water. Not the promenade deck or lifeboats.

I hear you on that!!

Master Chief March 12th, 2011 06:54 PM

We've never had a cove cabin. However, I have been told that the balcony tends to be fairly damp and sometimes outright wet even in calm seas with the balcony furniture being almost useless due to being wet.. Perhaps someone who has been in one can amplify? Thanks,

zydecocruiser March 13th, 2011 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Master Chief (Post 1358988)
We've never had a cove cabin. However, I have been told that the balcony tends to be fairly damp and sometimes outright wet even in calm seas with the balcony furniture being almost useless due to being wet.. Perhaps someone who has been in one can amplify? Thanks,

Not our experience at all and we used our balcony a lot. As mentioned, we have another one booked for b2b on Carnival Magic.

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/Carniva...2/P1010464.JPG

There is certainly potential in rougher seas, but oh the view!

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/Carniva...1/P1030688.JPG

Master Chief March 13th, 2011 01:42 PM

Thanks Zydecocruiser. As I said we haven't tried it yet but maybe on a future cruise.

lhp March 22nd, 2011 10:23 AM

We have one booked for the Magic and I can't wait.

I usually get a Spa cabin on any ship with the Cloud 9 Spa...but this time we went with a cove and I will just purchase the Spa amenities for the week.

Cruisegirl50 May 18th, 2013 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zydecocruiser (Post 1352113)
We love Cove Balconies and have one booked for a b2b on Carnival Magic in a few months.

Here are pictures of the one on Carnival Dream:
Carnival Dream Cove Balconies

We just booked our first cove balcony.. I know we are going to love it but my husband is afraid our cabin is to far forward and we will get a lot of sea spray in higher seas. We are booked on the magic Thanksgiving week.. we are in cabin 2277. any opinion on forward/midship as opposed to a little farther back?

cruisin from texas May 20th, 2013 06:57 PM

cove balcony

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cruisegirl50 (Post 1473436)
We just booked our first cove balcony.. I know we are going to love it but my husband is afraid our cabin is to far forward and we will get a lot of sea spray in higher seas. We are booked on the magic Thanksgiving week.. we are in cabin 2277. any opinion on forward/midship as opposed to a little farther back?

Howdy, I am in cabin 2275 september 29,2013 on the Magic. I will let you know how it was for us.

Sulross May 20th, 2013 09:40 PM

Cove balcony

My only advise if you get a Cove Balcony cabin, get one from the middle to the rear of the ship. We had one near the front and more than half the nights on a seven day cruise you could hear the constant banging of the waves on the hull especially at night. Water never got on our balcony or did the storm doors have to be shut, it was just a banging noise. They are different when in port and you are facing the dock. Great view.:cool: