CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   What does Carnival offer that other cruise lines do not? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/380455-what-does-carnival-offer-other-cruise-lines-do-not.html)

Kuki February 14th, 2011 03:25 PM

What does Carnival offer that other cruise lines do not?

In your opinions... what does Carnival have that other cruise lines don't, that make for a good reason to choose a Carnival cruise?

ruthlessboss February 14th, 2011 03:54 PM

Nothing in particular, I've just been on their ships most. I don't need the luxury and expense of some other cruiselines.

big apple February 14th, 2011 05:14 PM

They are now offering adult comedy shows playing before standing room only crowds. In addition more late not activity and not dead at 10:00 pm.Good benefits at the Platinum level and easier to reach than most other lines.Would like them to consider cruises of more than 7 days in the US.Have to give them an A Plus for chocolate melting cake on the menu each night.Actually enjoy the nightly performance of the servers in the dining room as it gets everyone involved.Serving of specialty coffees gratis at the end of dinner.

Lakers Fan February 14th, 2011 07:22 PM

Carnival has a youthful crowd and even old folk will feel young .

Barryn514 February 14th, 2011 08:13 PM

Quote:

Have to give them an A Plus for chocolate melting cake on the menu each night
LOVE THAT STUFF! 6 more day and I will have some. :)

Wendy Loves To Cruise February 14th, 2011 09:36 PM

Well, for one, Carnival offers Self-service laundry facilities... and I know RC doesn't. ;)

big apple February 14th, 2011 09:42 PM

Once you get to Platinum Carnival will do your laundry free every day. Only have to qualify with 10 cruises.

Wendy Loves To Cruise February 14th, 2011 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big apple (Post 1352364)
Once you get to Platinum Carnival will do your laundry free every day. Only have to qualify with 10 cruises.

:oAWESOME! I'm working on it... 6 more to go!

zydecocruiser February 15th, 2011 11:09 AM

Carnival's Vacation Guarantee

Fried oysters on Conquest class (Fish & Chips).

Ship on a Stick

John Heald, Ken Byrnes

Das Funnel

dude_hdt February 15th, 2011 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big apple (Post 1352364)

Big plus for me. Now we can pack less. Number 4 coming up this December on Magic...then 6 more and we're Platinum.

We went on RCI/Voyager last December and thought the food was poor compared to CCL.

RCI employees were cordial but were not smiling and greeting guests like CCL.

Kids didn't like RCI's camp at all. Counselors were not at all effective in keeping wild kids in line.

Lakers Fan February 16th, 2011 03:33 PM

When we did our Carnival cruise in 1994 we played Bingo one day .There had to be about 300 people in the room .The Cruise Director asked "How many people are from NYC " ? Nearly everyone raised their hand .He then asked "How many from Brooklyn" ?All but 5 in the room were from Brooklyn .I found that amazing .

lhp February 16th, 2011 04:22 PM

Of course, I am going on the information given by others (since we have only cruised Carnival)....

I am into karaoke and Carnival allows me to use my own Custom CDGs.
I am told that RCI uses Mp3s which I don't use.

Most people will probably say the best price for the cruise dollar....

but I don't think that Carnival offers anything that you can't find on any other cruise line....I just think you find more of it for less on Carnival.

A&B February 16th, 2011 04:59 PM

Quote:

Have to give them an A Plus for chocolate melting cake on the menu each night.
My children love this stuff and order it every night! I can never leave enough room for dessert after dinner but have tasted it and it is the best!

Looking forward to finally becoming platinum status with Carnival next cruise. Not sure how I ended up booking a Norwegian cruise just after my ninth cruise with Carnival but sure looking forward to that free laundry service come July and November! :D

Beth

Dutchman February 16th, 2011 06:13 PM

Well when we look around and price different cruise lines we always end up back with Carnival to get a good price for a balcony at some time in the year. So I guess its value.

crzndeb February 24th, 2011 04:29 PM

I like that I can order and have a bottle of spirits waiting for me in my room when I board. Definitely cuts down on the bar bill.

green_rd February 24th, 2011 04:33 PM

Ditto to Dutchman,

I think Carnival is the best value at sea.

skymaster February 24th, 2011 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhp (Post 1352829)

You're absolutely correct lhp. We just sailed Princess, and they wouldn't/couldn't play my cdg's at karaoke. The last time we sailed RCI, they wouldn't/couldn't play my cdg's either. Aboard the Princess cruise, there were only TWO nights of karaoke during the entire 7 day cruise, and those two sessions were only one hour long! :mad:. Actually, I REALLY missed Carnival! (I'll be booking another Carnival cruise tomorrow!) ;)

"SKY"

jlauntz February 24th, 2011 08:19 PM

GOOD food, clean rooms, and reasonable prices. End of discussion.

Haoie March 1st, 2011 05:44 PM

Funny looking funnels.

krunch March 2nd, 2011 12:39 PM

Easiest question I think I ever answered.

What does Carnival have that other cruise lines do not?

Me :p

Krunch

Master Chief March 2nd, 2011 02:53 PM

krunch, A man of few words :-) Love it!

krunch March 2nd, 2011 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Master Chief (Post 1356498)
krunch, A man of few words :-) Love it!

Not usually :p

Meant to be a joke, but yet I am serious as well. Carnival has ME because they make ME happy! I've been on 4 Carnival cruises now and tossing around ideas in my head now for potential dates and ittineries for cruises number 5, 6, & 7. (6 & 7 will likley be B2B)

I was originally ooo'd and ahhhh'd by RCL Oasis and Allure when I seen pics AND seen them in port in Fort Lauderdale, but at the end of the day, I don't want to do any of the new stuff on Oasis or Allure anyway. Would it be cool to see? Absolutely. Would it be worth my money to see it, take a chance on a different cruise company, that I may not like it's experience? Not likley. Carnival are the "Fun Ships" and that sounds like me. Everything else to me seems like the more "La-te-da Ships". That experience, is not me.

Bottom line, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Go Carnival!

Krunch

Moiraine March 2nd, 2011 04:45 PM

Value, bigger staterooms, and over the top decor.

DIGNAIC March 3rd, 2011 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhp (Post 1352829)
Of course, I am going on the information given by others (since we have only cruised Carnival)....

but I don't think that Carnival offers anything that you can't find on any other cruise line....I just think you find more of it for less on Carnival.

very much off topic, but seeing that you have cruise so many times with children, I would like to ask you. My hubby and I are wanting to take our kids on a cruise next year, they will be 3 and 4, we are also looking at carnival. do you think it will be hard to cruise with them at that age or is it okay..thanks-K

rdlouhy March 3rd, 2011 01:33 PM

Better bar service in the theater.You can easily get a drink during the show.

krunch March 3rd, 2011 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DIGNAIC (Post 1356769)
very much off topic, but seeing that you have cruise so many times with children, I would like to ask you. My hubby and I are wanting to take our kids on a cruise next year, they will be 3 and 4, we are also looking at carnival. do you think it will be hard to cruise with them at that age or is it okay..thanks-K

Off topic yes, but I was searching posts here just the other day and seemed to find a few comments about "Camp Carnival" The majority seemed to say their kids loved it and never wanted to leave. That might also apply to this thread though, maybe no one has just mentioned it yet. MAYBE Carnival has a superior kids program too?

Krunch

shahram72 March 4th, 2011 11:56 AM

Wow, lots of glowing posts! I've been in the RCCL camp for the last few years, never sailed anything else. Never been on any newer bigger ships. Always enjoyed RCCL fully. But this year, we got price jacked when we added a third person to our cabin. Carnival's pricing did not do this. We are going to try Carnival next time. Probably the Fascination out of Jacksonville. The thing that stopped us before is that on the 3 nighters out of Canaveral it seems, RCCL goes to Nassau and Cococay, while Carnival goes to Nassau and then to Freeport, which did not look appealing at all. We are going to look into a five night to Key West and Nassau next time. Is freeport that bad? Is there anything to see there? The private beach day with catered food is a big deal with us. No locals trying to sell us stuff, clean bathrooms, and plenty of food. But we're ready to try Carnival now that we got stuck by RCCL this year. Not that we won't go back, but we'll check for pricing tricks before we marry ourselves to a cruise.

ICRUISEFORFUN March 5th, 2011 07:58 PM

Chocolate Melting Cake:) #1
If you have children or Grandchildren they have one of the best programs that I have scene when I compared all of the lines (Disney would be the other best for kids but they cost 2X as much).
They have a great Spa. If you are a loyal member, they give great little gifts in your cabin at night we have seen on certain cruises that we have been on with Carnival.

shipmate March 7th, 2011 10:00 PM

We've only sailed on Carnival except for one time. Been hooked since the first cruise and you can't beat the price, compared to others.

My thoughts are, if you've been having a great time on Carnival, why change something that works for you.

lhp March 9th, 2011 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DIGNAIC (Post 1356769)

Sorry it took so long to answer....we were on the Glory on the Blogger's Cruise.

We started cruising with our 2 boys when they were 5 and 8 and we have always been pleased with the care they received.

Our youngest son has Autism, so I am OCD overprotective.

At the age of 3 and 4, they will be in the same age group at Camp Carnival.

Do be aware that Camp Carnival is not open on Embarkation Day (except for the 10PM-3AM babysitting for a fee of $6 per hour for the first child and $4 an hour for additional children),

The Camp Carnival that is included in your cruise fare starts at 9AM the next morning and continues until 10PM. Again, all for free.

A typical Sea Day for us was up around 8AM for breakfast. The boys would go to Camp Carnival from 9AM - noon. I would pick them up for lunch and some swimming until around 2PM. At 2pm, it was back to Camp Carnival until 5pm. I would pick them up for dinner. They always ate dinner with us....although I understand that Camp Carnival will feed them dinner so that parents can have a nice meal alone. I know they do this on Formal Night.

After dinner, they would go back to Camp Carnival from 7 - 10pm. Sometimes we took advantage of the 10pm-3am babysitting for a fee...sometimes we did not.

On Port days....we would have breakfast and do an excursion as a family.
We would be back on the ship around 1 or 2 ... have lunch ....swim and then they would do Camp Carnival that night from 7pm - 10 pm. However, I know lots of parents that do excrusions without the kids since Camp Carnival is open while the ship is in port.

IF you do an excursion without the kids, I would recommend that you ONLY do a ship excursion. That way the ship is in contact with you at all times.

Both of our boys LOVED Camp Carnival. They would pitch a fit when they had to leave.

Do be prepared for a little bit of a wait to check in and get on the ship on Embarkation Day. I would suggest arriving about 1:30pm to avoid the crowds if you don't have a suite .... ( a suite gives you VIP Check In).

Hope that helps....