Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 21st, 2011, 08:47 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default 1st Time on Carnival.. Advice please!

Hello, everyone.

We just booked the Carnival Imagination 4 Day WC out of Miami after having previously booked the Magic in Italy (airfare was just way too high). We have previously cruise on Disney and Royal Caribbean- this is our first cruise on Carnival.

We went for the Grand Suite and picked the Imagination for the itinerary- which appealed to us. Cozumel and Key West- both new ports for us.

Would love to hear your comments, thoughts, suggestions for both the ship and ports. Also, are there any recent GS photos from the Imagination? I've looked but must not be looking in the right places.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old February 21st, 2011, 09:04 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzygirl View Post
Hello, everyone.

We just booked the Carnival Imagination 4 Day WC out of Miami after having previously booked the Magic in Italy (airfare was just way too high). We have previously cruise on Disney and Royal Caribbean- this is our first cruise on Carnival.

We went for the Grand Suite and picked the Imagination for the itinerary- which appealed to us. Cozumel and Key West- both new ports for us.

Would love to hear your comments, thoughts, suggestions for both the ship and ports. Also, are there any recent GS photos from the Imagination? I've looked but must not be looking in the right places.

Thanks!
One thing to do on Carnival, at least if you are a drinker, is to check out the Bon Voyage program and possibly order a bottle of booze to be waiting in your cabin. You cannot do it on the web, you have to call. Do a quick search on this site and the number will turn up. This is a great short cruise. I did it back in November. Also, if its something that interests you, look into the Behind the Fun excursion that should be offered on your sea day. Nice behind the scenes tour.

Past cruises:

Disney Dream - Dec 2013 4n Bahamas
Disney Dream - Dec 2012 4n Bahamas
Carnival Imagination - Dec 2011 4n Western
Carnival Imagination - Nov 2010 4n Western
Costa Atlantica - Dec 2009 7n Eastern

My opinions are mine and mine alone. They do not represent the opinions of The Walt Disney Company nor any of its subsidiaries.
Old February 21st, 2011, 09:55 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Thank you so much for your help- the Behind the Fun Tour- can that be pre-arranged before sailing or do we have to sign up when we board?
Old February 21st, 2011, 11:14 PM
Admiral

Going to visit the Mayan ruins at Tulum is a nice excursion from Cozumel.
Old February 21st, 2011, 11:18 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Thank you so much for your help- the Behind the Fun Tour- can that be pre-arranged before sailing or do we have to sign up when we board?
I do not recall seeing it listed before sailing, but they advertised it on the ship. You can check the excursions page at Carnival.com for your sailing to see if its available.

Past cruises:

My opinions are mine and mine alone. They do not represent the opinions of The Walt Disney Company nor any of its subsidiaries.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 05:59 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
It has to be booked on board, and the sooner the better as it is very limited with participants. I can highly recommend this tour.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 10:11 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

In Key West, you can take the Conch Train,and tour all around..go see Southernmost Point..90 miles away from Cuba..great photo op...Visit Mel Fishers Gold Museum, or Do a pub crawl if that is an interest....Try conch fritters and key lime pie..Beaches there are not the greatest, suprisingly..
Walking around and people watching is the best here.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 22nd, 2011, 12:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Hello, everyone.

Thanks!
Keep in mind that Imagination is a 70,000 ton ship built in 1995. So its old and small by today's standards. But it and its sisters of the Fantasy class were the big deals when they were new. We are retired so we don't take short cruises anymore. But we'd still sail the older smaller ships if they did do longer itineraries. But enjoy your cruise without comparing the ship to Disney. Or the RCL ship if it was a Voyager class or better.

DO the Conch train first thing in KW. Then you'll know your way all around the island to do whatever you want to do. Do the conch train on your own, not through the ship.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 01:20 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan40 View Post
Keep in mind that Imagination is a 70,000 ton ship built in 1995. So its old and small by today's standards. But it and its sisters of the Fantasy class were the big deals when they were new. We are retired so we don't take short cruises anymore. But we'd still sail the older smaller ships if they did do longer itineraries. But enjoy your cruise without comparing the ship to Disney. Or the RCL ship if it was a Voyager class or better.

DO the Conch train first thing in KW. Then you'll know your way all around the island to do whatever you want to do. Do the conch train on your own, not through the ship.
Hehehe, speaking of Disney, depending on the week, they might see the Magic when they head into Cozumel. :-p

Past cruises:

Old February 22nd, 2011, 01:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

At Cozumel, we did the swim with the dolphins at Chankanaab Park and it was great! Well worth the few extra dollars.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 05:42 PM
Welcome Newcomer

You guys are cracking me up- I said the same thing to hubby- that I was going to research how many times we possibly might see a Disney or RCCL. Believe me, I am going into this not to make comparisons.

We booked Carnival because originally we wanted to a Med cruise to Italy and the Magic being newer.. but now that we had to adjust the plans, I have adjusted expectations as well. Older ships don't necessarily bother me- my first venture on RCCL was on the Monarch and it was a lovely, relaxing weekend- her staff some of the best I have encountered.

Thank you for all your suggestions and feedback. I appreciate your time. We had looked at several of the things you all mentioned.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 08:06 PM
First Mate

Quote:
You guys are cracking me up- I said the same thing to hubby- that I was going to research how many times we possibly might see a Disney or RCCL. Believe me, I am going into this not to make comparisons.

We booked Carnival because originally we wanted to a Med cruise to Italy and the Magic being newer.. but now that we had to adjust the plans, I have adjusted expectations as well. Older ships don't necessarily bother me- my first venture on RCCL was on the Monarch and it was a lovely, relaxing weekend- her staff some of the best I have encountered.

Thank you for all your suggestions and feedback. I appreciate your time. We had looked at several of the things you all mentioned.
Back in 2009 when I was on Costa Atlantica headed east out to the USVI, the Magic passed us pretty close. Gotta love the image stabilization in my Canon point and shoot.

Past cruises:

Old February 22nd, 2011, 08:11 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Wink 1st Timer on Carinval Destiny

Hello everyone. I will be taking my first cruise on Carnival Destiny leaving out of MIA on March 12 for 6 days, as a solist. Can anyone give me pointers as to what activities I should do and what I can expect from this cruise?