Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 22nd, 2011, 12:51 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default New John Heald Interview

John Heald - Hero of Splendor

John Heald interview - if you have not read this yet it is definitely worthwhile. Lots of personal thoughts by John about what he was thinking during the events onboard.
Sponsored Links
Old February 22nd, 2011, 04:31 PM
Admiral

Very good interview.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old February 22nd, 2011, 05:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Looks like you uncovered some new info...!! I enjoyed your article..

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 22nd, 2011, 05:54 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Good interview! I followed along on John's blog when he wrote about the incident and you obtained additional information. I also enjoyed getting John's impressions about the industry and Carnival's future direction.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 23rd, 2011, 11:24 AM
Welcome Newcomer

I read the interview with interest and learned some new things.

I have to say I was surprised that the cruise director, as experience, competent, and cool-headed as he was, was the person in charge with dealing with a possible evacuation in a situation like this. A cruise director probably has the best communication skills and "people skills" of anyone else on the ship, but as Heald himself points out, even with 24 years of experience, nothing had prepared him for an emergency like this.

Why wasn't one of the other crew members (perhaps one with more experience in emergency situations) in charge when something like this happened?

Thinking back to some of the "less than stellar" cruise directors I've come across over the past 10+ years of cruising, it makes me a little nervous.

I'd be interested in the thoughts of others....
Old February 23rd, 2011, 11:27 AM
Administrator
Admiral

To be clear - the captain and other officers are in charge of the logistics of something as serious as a ship eavcuation.

But it is the cruise director's responsibility to communicate with the guests and advise them on which steps to take according to the captain's direction.

An evacuation is a very complicated procedure (in fact, so few have been done there is no guidebook on how to do it), and large groups of people can get unruly. It was John's job to make sure people remained calm and cooperative - one bad apple could have had a negative effect on a lot of people.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 11:44 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroysmith98 View Post
I read the interview with interest and learned some new things.

I have to say I was surprised that the cruise director, as experience, competent, and cool-headed as he was, was the person in charge with dealing with a possible evacuation in a situation like this. A cruise director probably has the best communication skills and "people skills" of anyone else on the ship, but as Heald himself points out, even with 24 years of experience, nothing had prepared him for an emergency like this.

Why wasn't one of the other crew members (perhaps one with more experience in emergency situations) in charge when something like this happened?

Thinking back to some of the "less than stellar" cruise directors I've come across over the past 10+ years of cruising, it makes me a little nervous.

I'd be interested in the thoughts of others....
The Cruise Director does not make the "decision"....they simply "implement" that decision. And since the CD is who everyone assumes they will be getting direction from...it is the natural choice to "implement".

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old February 23rd, 2011, 11:44 AM
Admiral

Very nice article Paul.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old February 23rd, 2011, 01:43 PM
Admiral

Paul, I told John on his Facebook page about the article and he has now made a post with a link to the article, he thought it was very good and so far has had positive feedback about how intelligent the interview was on both your's and his part.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old February 23rd, 2011, 08:15 PM
Familiar Face

I read the interview with great interest...Our dealing with CD have all been positive and it appears that Mr. Heald did a very good job...Having never been on a cruise ship in possiable peril, I have been on an airplane that lost an engine (burnout) over the Pacific and the (then stewardess ) took charge of the cabin and got us very calm, with the help of some of Contientnals best booze, got us back to Japan. We even stayed in Tokyo for a day and night on the airline...Way to go Mr. Heald!!
Old February 23rd, 2011, 08:59 PM
Admiral

Great interview, Paul! It's nice to hear from John "after the fact". If we had to be on a ship with an emergency , I'd want JH to be there!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old February 23rd, 2011, 09:57 PM
Administrator
Admiral

It felt like a great interview when it was over - we both said so.

I admit I just assumed John would know how to handle people on a cruise ship instinctively. We tend to forget that people sometimes act irrationally under extreme conditions.
Old March 1st, 2011, 08:53 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Question of Staff Competence

You know, I have read this thread, and I find that those who are quick to critize the crew because they are only familiar with their area are very, very wrong.

Most of the crew of most of the lines make every effort to answer questions about the food, the activities, the restaurants, or if they do not have the answer, they always say that they don't know but will get someone to help.

Just because you have "paid" for a cruise doesn't mean you can expect the crew to be servants, because they are not. They are there to help you enjoy a vacation of pleasure, which also pleases them.

Actually, I recall sailing on the Vistafjord and Sagafjord for many years, and they referred to Carnival as the "tuna tugs." I'm sorry to say that, but I think the comments and the answers to many of these questions (or statements) refer to their type of thinking.

I don't mean to insult anyone, but the crew on these ships have come from countries where many jobs are hard to come by, and when they join cruise ships, they give all that they have to please, and they definitely exceed our expectations--at least on Oceania, Princess, HAL and many other lines we sail quite frequently. Our hats off to the crew--whether they could immediately answer our questions or not. I LOVE their smiles.

Over 65 cruises and still counting.