Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 1st, 2011, 11:13 AM
Admiral

Default Florida/Carribean weather reports?

Hello, wondering what the weather is like now in Fort Lauderdale ... not just temp (internet says high 70s to mid 80s right now) ... but overall feel of the weather with wind/humidity etc.

Same question for the Eastern Carribean routes (Bahamas, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands)

(I need help knowing what to pack!)

I went this time last year and packed all wrong - it was freezing in Florida and the Caribean was not as hot as I wanted it to be!)

Thanks!

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Sponsored Links
Old March 1st, 2011, 11:47 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Oakville View Post
Hello, wondering what the weather is like now in Fort Lauderdale ... not just temp (internet says high 70s to mid 80s right now) ... but overall feel of the weather with wind/humidity etc.

Same question for the Eastern Carribean routes (Bahamas, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands)

(I need help knowing what to pack!)

I went this time last year and packed all wrong - it was freezing in Florida and the Caribean was not as hot as I wanted it to be!)

Thanks!

North America Weather Forecasts | Maps | News - Yahoo! Weather
Old March 1st, 2011, 12:57 PM
Admiral

Thanks Dan - I wasn't looking for a website, more of a personal report from someone who's just come back. I can get a weather temp of most websites, but it can feel warmer/colder than what the weather report says based on wind and other factors.

Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old March 1st, 2011, 05:53 PM
First Mate

Warm to Hot with a breeze Could have a shower or thunderstorm at anytime
Old March 1st, 2011, 06:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Usually the weather in Sofla is pretty much the same in the Bahamas. Right now they are having low 80's in Fla..

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 1st, 2011, 07:21 PM
Admiral

[QUOTE=Queen of Oakville;1356281]Thanks Dan - I wasn't looking for a website, more of a personal report from someone who's just come back.

Weather in Florida can change very quickly so someone telling you what it was when they were there doesn’t mean that’s what you’re going to get. The best thing would be to watch several weather sites and judge from those. They give you somewhat of an outlook for the upcoming 10 days. I certainly would judge the weather by another persons report.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old March 1st, 2011, 08:12 PM
Admiral

Your best bet would be to check the yahoo weather a couple of days before you leave for Lauderdale. Even then it could change by the time you get here.

I live 1 1/2 hour north of Lauderdale and can tell you that we were up to 80 most of the day with a lot of wind then the rain came and we dropped temps real quick and no wind but will be in the mid 50's tonight.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old March 2nd, 2011, 10:22 AM
Captain

Weather has its little freaks all the time. I've seen frost warnings in Orlando in October and when we were in Fort Lauderdale in both November 2010 and back in January of this year, bottom line is all I wanted to wear was shorts and t-shirts. With all due respect, it says you are from Oakville, Ontario, CANADA! It's a LOT warmer that far south compared to here! Leave your winter jacket and snow pants home for sure

-27C here today, feels like -37C with the wind chill. I want to move to Fort Lauderdale

Seriousley, you are going to experience such a drastic change in temperature, what local southern people call cool or cold you are going to still feel warmer than they do. You're more climitized to the cold.

Krunch
Western Caribbean - Freedom - January, 2011
Southern Caribbean - Miracle - November, 2010
Western Caribbean - Liberty - November, 2008
Eastern Caribbean - Valor - October, 2006
Old March 2nd, 2011, 11:06 AM
Admiral

Alright, thanks everyone.

Krunch, when we went to Florida, same time, last year, it was FREEZING in florida. If memory serves, the temps the at the time were like 18C according to the weaterh sites - which is beautiful spring-time weather in Ontario, and we packed for such (did a 4-day pre-trip to Cocoa Beach).

We were freekin freezing. It may have been 18C, but it felt more like 0. We were so cold and not prepared. I had the kids wearing their winter jackets .... unfortunately, i'd left mine in the car parked at BUF. It honestly felt like the same weather in Cocoa Beach that we'd just left in Toronto.

Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old March 2nd, 2011, 12:08 PM
Captain

Queen,

I hear what you are saying. You likley hit a weather freak that is just not all that normal down there. While 18C was the temp, the humidity and winds prone to coastlines are the factor here. I'm from Newfoundland and have lived in Mantoba for the past 12 years. I have seen both extremes.

Honestly, try to prepare for all weather but dominate the light clothes for warm to hot weather. Add a couple sweatshirts and a light jacket and I think you will likley be more than prepared. Can't predict the weather, but the odds are you will have nice weather. We had a 94 degree day in Jamaica in mid January

Have fun!

Krunch
Old March 2nd, 2011, 12:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

Queen:

I promise you that the weather will be gorgeous when you get here. It's been beautiful since 2/12. We had a sprinkle (and I do mean sprinkle) of rain yesterday. The skies have been sunny, blue and in the low 80's during the day and 60's in the evening. This is the best time of year to be in Florida. Just please do us a favor and shut the door when you leave home! Thanks.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 12:18 PM
Captain

! Shut the door

You guys in Florida should consider bottling your weather for us to buy and bring back !

Krunch
Old March 3rd, 2011, 01:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Oakville View Post
Thanks Dan - I wasn't looking for a website, more of a personal report from someone who's just come back. I can get a weather temp of most websites, but it can feel warmer/colder than what the weather report says based on wind and other factors.

Here in Florida we often say, "another beautiful day in Paradise!" But we do get an occasional cold front where we have to don a jacket and even long pants. But they are few and far between. Hurricanes are more of a concern here on the coast than a little chilliness.

In winter, remember the east coast of Florida is washed by the Atlantic Ocean, not the Caribbean Sea. But the Gulf Stream [a warm current from the Gulf of Mexico] runs up our east coast just a few miles off shore. The Bahamas are east of the Gulf Stream and are surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean. So they can get cold in winter. But it doesn't happen often. Once you get about 500 miles south of Florida actually in the Caribbean, then you are in waters that stay warm all year long. So the air is warm too.