Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 3rd, 2011, 10:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

Question Before we book the Valor

Greetings fellow cruisers! We're about to book a cruise on the Valor for next Spring (2012) to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. We recently sailed on the Destiny, and had cabin 6344 and loved it. (Favorite port was Antigua, hands down!) Anyway, we're considering one of the rear / aft balconies on the Valor, probably the Empress deck, somewhere between 7434 and 7439. After reading numerous comments from other cruisers, I've come to realize the configuration of cabin 7434 (on the Valor) is a little different from 6344 on the Destiny. For a few dollars more (wasn't that a western?), should we consider 7440 (or 7445)? Or one of the very popular Aft cabins (7442- 7453)? Since it'll be just the two of us, we don't need a cabin half the size of the Promenade, but preferably bigger than the elevator. And, equally important is the balcony. I know there is no such thing as a totally private balcony (found that out when a nosy neighbor peeked around the divider and saw me in my birthday suit on the balcony on the Destiny), but does any one of these balconies provide more privacy than another? Or maybe I should knock on my neighbors' doors and say, "Hi! At any given time, we may be naked on the balcony. If you'll respect our privacy, we'll respect yours. Is that a deal?" Oh, one more question. Do you think a Carnival sales rep. can offer a better deal than a travel agent? Seems like a Carnival rep. might have access to discount information and special deals that a travel agent wouldn't. Your feedback and information would be appreciated. Thank-you.
Sponsored Links
Old March 4th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTALLEN View Post
Greetings fellow cruisers! We're about to book a cruise on the Valor for next Spring (2012) to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. We recently sailed on the Destiny, and had cabin 6344 and loved it. (Favorite port was Antigua, hands down!) Anyway, we're considering one of the rear / aft balconies on the Valor, probably the Empress deck, somewhere between 7434 and 7439. After reading numerous comments from other cruisers, I've come to realize the configuration of cabin 7434 (on the Valor) is a little different from 6344 on the Destiny. For a few dollars more (wasn't that a western?), should we consider 7440 (or 7445)? Or one of the very popular Aft cabins (7442- 7453)? Since it'll be just the two of us, we don't need a cabin half the size of the Promenade, but preferably bigger than the elevator. And, equally important is the balcony. I know there is no such thing as a totally private balcony (found that out when a nosy neighbor peeked around the divider and saw me in my birthday suit on the balcony on the Destiny), but does any one of these balconies provide more privacy than another? Or maybe I should knock on my neighbors' doors and say, "Hi! At any given time, we may be naked on the balcony. If you'll respect our privacy, we'll respect yours. Is that a deal?" Oh, one more question. Do you think a Carnival sales rep. can offer a better deal than a travel agent? Seems like a Carnival rep. might have access to discount information and special deals that a travel agent wouldn't. Your feedback and information would be appreciated. Thank-you.
7434 and 39 are not what are called AFT cabins. They are cabins NEAR the aft. Only those cabins actually facing aft are the famous aft cabins. 7434 and 39 do have longer balconies as the ships stairway causes the cabin to be oddly shaped. The corner cabins [aft wraps] give you choices of the side view or the aft view and the large balcony. The regular aft facing cabins will have much deeper balconies than the side facing cabins due to the slope of the stern of the ship.

No Carnival agent can give you a lower price than a 'knowledgeable' TA. All prices that Carnival agents and PVP's have are also available to any TA. Some TA's will beat Carnival's prices but cannot advertise them.

You said spring, does the idea of a ship full of college kids on spring break bother you? I'm 70 and went on the Valor in the spring a couple of years ago. The college kids were all over the ship radiating energy. I soaked some of it up so I don't mind. But some don't like spring break cruises.
Old March 4th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks Dan40. I'm aware that 7434 and 7439 aren't Aft cabins, but they are part of the rear-most section of cabins. And currently, the only thing we have to compare to is the rear cabin we had on the Destiny (#6344). I'd like to hear from people that have had a cabin in this area either on the Valor or one of her sister ships.

We'd be sailing in late Spring, either the last week of April or the first week of May. By then, Spring Break should be over, so there shouldn't be a lot of kids running around.

Since I'm having a hard time finding good pictures of these cabins posted on line, maybe someone at Carnival would have some photos they could e-mail to me.
Old March 5th, 2011, 12:26 AM
Familiar Face

We will be journeying on the Valor from March 20 - 27th. I will try to get some good photos for you and will holler when I return. We are staying on the 8th floor near the back (aft) in a balcony cabin....I will remember what you said about the nosy neighbor...I plan on catching a few rays in my birthday suit! That's why we got a balcony!
Old March 5th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Admiral

Just an FYI to those who want to sun in the nude on your balcony. Please be aware that not only can your neighbors look around the divider, but if there's a door in the divider they can "peek" through there, too.

Also, the bridge may or may not be able to see you, depending on the ship.

If none of this bother's you, go for it !

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old March 8th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Cruise Maniac

OMG! Ppl sunbathe in the nude on balcony's?? wow!
Sensation '99, '04, '08
Triumph '99 & '03
Victory '00 & '02
Imagination '01
Fascination '05
Navigator Sept '05, Jan '09, Mar 10
Valor Aug 6, 2006, Sept 2010
Adventure 10/06
Elation Nov. 30 2006
Majesty OS June 8 2007
Glory Dec 07
Destiny 8/09, 10/11
Oasis Dec. 2009
Allure Dec 2010
Carnival Dream 3/11
Monarch OS 8/11
Freedom OS 12/4/11

Old March 8th, 2011, 04:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

Since Carnival hasn't designated a clothing optional area on the Lido deck (and probably never will) and has done away with the topless deck area, I guess those who don't want tan lines will have to take their chances on the balcony.
Old March 9th, 2011, 09:13 PM
Welcome Newcomer

We just got back from the Valor (Feb 27). We had the wrap around balcony on the 6th floor (Upper Deck) cabin #6483. This is our second time in the same cabin but different ship (Destiny Rm 6373). We LOVE this cabin and have found, based on touring the other two decks above, that the Upper deck rooms 6483 & 6452 are much roomier than the corner rooms on decks Empress and Verandah. The reason is that the other two floors have funny room configurations that cause the beds to be at a weird angle, which takes up a lot of space in the room. My thought is that if I couldn't get a wrap around deck and didn't want to pay for a suite then I would try to book 8449 or 8442. These rooms are equally as roomy as the one we had and also have a really nice extended deck.

I hate to tell you what goes on on those "private" (are they really?) decks. We didn't have any peepers, but I could see how it would be easy to do. Since our deck wraped from the back to the corner and slightly to the side, we were able to position ourselves between the two neighboring cabins so that neither had a good shot of us. Our deck had two sun loungers and three regular deck chairs along with a table. When we tried to tan those "hard to tan" areas, we made sure that we were under the overhang so that no one above us could see. It only worked during certain times of the day since the sun had to be at just the right angle.

We loved the fact that we had more privacy on our own deck but most of all, we didn't have to wake up early to run down on deck to save a chair. We used our deck tons. It was well worth it!