Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 7th, 2011, 09:48 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Magic Kingdom Excursion?

I was hoping that someone could tell me about the Magic Kingdom excursion? What type of transportation is provided and how long do you have in the park? Do you think it was worth the money to book through Carnival? Also, any suggestions for the must-see attractions is appreciated We sail on the Pride on the 13th!
Sponsored Links
Old March 8th, 2011, 02:43 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEvenstar View Post
I was hoping that someone could tell me about the Magic Kingdom excursion? What type of transportation is provided and how long do you have in the park? Do you think it was worth the money to book through Carnival? Also, any suggestions for the must-see attractions is appreciated We sail on the Pride on the 13th!
Magic Kingdom opens at 9am every day, occasionally 8am during peek season. So if you're off the ship by 730, I suppose its possible to make it around park opening. MK is easily a 2 day park. Now, it is possible to hit a lot of the highlights *depending* on the day of the week, and the time of the year. Regardless of how you get your ticket, you will have a park ticket that includes access to Fast Pass, which is basically like getting a reservation to come back at a specific time to a much shorter queue. Take advantage of this by getting a fast pass for which ever ride interests you the most. (Usually one of the 3 'mountains') It is important to note that you can basically have 1 fast pass per ticket at a time, but if the "return time" is further out than 2 hours, you can get an additional 2 hours after the first. While you are waiting for your return time, you then go off and do other things, or wait in line for another ride or attraction. The way I always describe it, its like waiting in line for 2 rides at once.

As for the excursion being worth it? It comes down to many things. What day of the week and what time of year. How much are they charging you for it? A one day one park admission to a Disney park is right around $87 for an adult after taxes, so you can use that number to evaluate if what Carnival is charging is worth it. Also, what time is your flight out? Walt Disney World can be a good 45m trip to MCO depending on the time of day and traffic. So consider that as well.

Any more questions, please feel free to ask. Disney advice is my thing. (Literally, its what I do for work. )

Past cruises:

Disney Dream - Dec 2013 4n Bahamas
Disney Dream - Dec 2012 4n Bahamas
Carnival Imagination - Dec 2011 4n Western
Carnival Imagination - Nov 2010 4n Western
Costa Atlantica - Dec 2009 7n Eastern

My opinions are mine and mine alone. They do not represent the opinions of The Walt Disney Company nor any of its subsidiaries.
Old March 8th, 2011, 05:48 AM
Admiral

Don't waste time if it's a weekend, lines longer than during the week and that's time wasted. If you go, once in the actual park, go to the left towards frontierland, most people rotate the park going to the right. This avoids some lines. Main events that way are Pirates of the Caribbean and Splash Mountain.
Old March 8th, 2011, 05:50 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Thank you so much for the responses!

This is actually a port of call excursion from Port Canaveral on Wednesday, March 16th . As I understand it, the ride to Disney is about an hour from the port. We are in the port from 7 AM to 7 PM. The schedule says the Magic Kingdom excursion lasts from 7:45 AM to 5:45 PM. This is probably when we leave and arrive back at the ship.

The main reason we booked through Carnival was because of the transportation that would ensure that we would not be late getting back to the ship. We figured that a short day at Disney World is better than no day at all
Old March 8th, 2011, 05:59 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Thank you so much for the responses!

This is actually a port of call excursion from Port Canaveral on Wednesday, March 16th . As I understand it, the ride to Disney is about an hour from the port. We are in the port from 7 AM to 7 PM. The schedule says the Magic Kingdom excursion lasts from 7:45 AM to 5:45 PM. This is probably when we leave and arrive back at the ship.

The main reason we booked through Carnival was because of the transportation that would ensure that we would not be late getting back to the ship. We figured that a short day at Disney World is better than no day at all
Spring break time. So the parks will be a bit busier. Unfortunantly I am not back to work until Tuesday the 15th, so I can't really look at occupancy numbers to get a feel for just how busy that week will be. Figure if you leave the port on time at 745, you'll be at the park right around opening time. So 9am. If they say the excursion ends at 545, I'm willing to bet you're leaving the park by 4:30ish. So you're looking at 7 hours or so. Can you do a lot in 7 hours? I really just depends on how many people are in the park that day. While it is the middle of the week, with it being Spring Break time, all bets are off. Myself personally, other than ducking into Epcot or MK for the evening fireworks on one of my days off, I avoid the parks as much as possible during March and April.

How much is the excursion per person? That could be a determining factor right there.

Past cruises:

My opinions are mine and mine alone. They do not represent the opinions of The Walt Disney Company nor any of its subsidiaries.
Old March 8th, 2011, 07:37 PM
Welcome Newcomer

It's 159.99 per person. Pretty expensive and, honestly,a bit painful to book. We just wanted the guaranteed transportation to and from the park.
Old March 8th, 2011, 08:01 PM
First Mate

Quote:
It's 159.99 per person. Pretty expensive and, honestly,a bit painful to book. We just wanted the guaranteed transportation to and from the park.
So, at 87.33pp for the Disney ticket, assuming everyone in your group is over 10 and up, that's 72.66 for the bus transportation. Considering that booking a round trip transfer from MCO to Canaveral is around 70 bux, I suppose that's pretty fair for the transportation costs.

Past cruises:

Old March 8th, 2011, 10:17 PM
Admiral

If you've never been to the Magic Kingdom, (Iassume you'll be limited to one park) it may be your chance to see and experience it. What you don't see of it, you won't even miss it, there's still tons to do. Opting to book from the cruiseline is costlier, but safer if you have difficulty getting back. People have no idea the miles and miles of private roads on Disney property, it's not a straight shot from your first "Welcome to Disney" sign.
I took an expensive helicopter ride to land and walk on an Alaskan glacier, but never regretted the cost. That was my thrill.
Old March 8th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Admiral

What age bracket are you in?
Old March 9th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

ARe the tickets just for the Magic Kingdom or can you use them at Epcot or another park? I know just one day will limit you for the time restraint??? Still lots of good attractions in this park and it does include the transportation since you booked with the cruiseline. I say, if its really something you want to do, go for it.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 9th, 2011, 02:03 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
ARe the tickets just for the Magic Kingdom or can you use them at Epcot or another park? I know just one day will limit you for the time restraint??? Still lots of good attractions in this park and it does include the transportation since you booked with the cruiseline. I say, if its really something you want to do, go for it.
Generally whatever ticket they get can be used to gate whichever park they want. But if it is not a park hopper, they can only enter one park for that day. So in theory they could go from Magic Kingdom's Transportation and Ticket Center (Which is where Carnival's transportation is going to drop them off) over to Epcot and enter that park. But that takes away time from enjoying the parks. Well, sorta. From TTC you still have to take a monorail to get to the main entrance of Magic Kingdom. All in all, it would probably be about the same amount of time. Its just important that you should be planning to leave the park at least 30m before your bus time. That gives you plenty of time to get back to TTC where your bus will be parked.

I was at Disney's Animal Kingdom briefly today to get some friends into the park. It was pretty busy for a Wednesday.

Past cruises:

Old March 10th, 2011, 01:41 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Thanks for all the input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthlessboss View Post
What age bracket are you in?
I'm 23 and I'll be going with my parents. I've been wanting to go to Disney World since I was a child, but was never able to get there until now. Hopefully, I'll be able to take a real vacation there in the near future.
Old March 10th, 2011, 01:42 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
The excursion is just for the Magic Kingdom.
Old March 10th, 2011, 08:29 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Thanks for all the input!

I'm 23 and I'll be going with my parents. I've been wanting to go to Disney World since I was a child, but was never able to get there until now. Hopefully, I'll be able to take a real vacation there in the near future.
If you go, I'd again say go to the left side of the park first. To the right is space mountain (a fast thrill roller coaster inside the mountain), then a kids area as you continue on ( but adult sized rides), and the famous "Small World" if you want that song forever etched in your head! There's a daily parade that goes through the park in the afternoon.
As for a vacation there, it will take multiple days to explore. There are several parks in the Disney complex, food cost is on the high side. It's still a magical place to go. You'll get pooped out.
Old March 11th, 2011, 12:06 AM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

WDW is NOT a shore tour... it is at minimum a 2 - 4 day event ! Do not waste the money on this type of tour, you will not get the true WDW experience. Save a WDW trip for another vacation !