CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   carnival imagination to cozumel (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/381066-carnival-imagination-cozumel.html)

mrsmommi March 10th, 2011 11:12 AM

carnival imagination to cozumel

we are leaving from miami, going to key west to cozumel! wondering what excursions would be great in cozumel! it is my husband and i! thanks! 1st time cruisers!!

Donna March 10th, 2011 04:15 PM

In Cozumel they offer the dolphin swim, a once in a lifetime kind of thing. You can also spend the day at Chanakaab Park, same place the dolphin swim is. They have a huge beach and you can also snorkel there. Cabs are easy to get at the port to take you and they have cabs waiting to return you to the pier.

In Key West, my kids enjoyed the butterfly farm..

fun2cruiz March 10th, 2011 11:43 PM

Our Vists to COZ include a day at Nachi Cocom for a great AI meal/drinks and only up to 100 people in attendance in this quaint little get-a-way ! Or, rent a jeep in COZ and explore on your own...stop at a beach, a bar for lucnh and a drink...drive to another beach, shop a little... a great way to explore on your own !

Luanne Russo March 11th, 2011 12:12 AM

There is so much to do. What kind of things do you and your hubby like to do?

mrsmommi March 11th, 2011 10:22 AM

we are really all for anything! i was thinking about going to see the mayan ruins but also have fun fun beach and drinking time too! this is our 1st cruise along with 1st time to cozumel!
i think adventure and then good fun and sun :)

Luanne Russo March 11th, 2011 01:23 PM

The ruins will take most of your day, because the tour takes you oer to the mainland, as there are no real ruins on the island.

My favorite thing to do is the submarine. It is not far from the port, and most of the time, the ship will offer the tour.

Another fun place to go is Paraidise beach. They have a good place on site to eat, and will connect you with people who offer wave runners, and parasailing.

Cozumel is a fun place to go, and have many offers.

Let me know if I can help, as we have done all of the excurions offered by Carnival.

Rum Runner March 13th, 2011 09:27 PM

We just got back from this run on 2/28 - 3/4. It was a nice cruise. Because we only had a little time in KW, we went out on our own that day instead of doing a cruise excursion. If you do Duval Street, don't miss Bil Krauss in Irish Kevin's Bar. He's a hoot...lots of fun, clean entertainment. He works 10:30am - 2:30pm.
When we came back to KW for a couple more days after the cruise, we did the Butterfly Conservatory, and walked down by the lighthouse and Earnest Hemingway's house. On the street, there are newsboxes with coupon books. You can find $1 off coupons for the conservatory, or $2 ones which are in the small booklets. Cost for the conservatory I believe was $12 without a coupon, less for seniors.

But your original question was on Cozumel...lol...
We didn't do any cruise excursion, but merely got a cab to the Chakkanaub park. It's $10 (per carload) for the cab ride, and $21.50 per person for entry to the park. They close at 4pm. If you decide to go, the snorkeling gear is $12 to rent. Food in the park is "ok." Nice little man-made swimming/wading area to check for fishies. Nice botanical garden & lagoon. Not sure how the snorkeling was, as the weather had been windy and the bottom was stirred up...dunno if those who were out there saw anything.

One big thing I have to advise: If you plan on bringing cash, get it BEFORE you get off the ship, or get it before you cruise. We made the mistake of using the ATM at Senor Frogs in Cozumel near the pier...the fee was $69.60 (pesos), which converted to around $6 USD. No problem, however, that was apparently just the fee that the owner of the ATM gets, or something. When we got back, we had a $27.85 fee for the $200 withdrawal that we made, so the BANK must have actually had another hefty fee. UGH!
Carlos & Charlie's was fun; a round of 3 yard Bud Lights and 1 yard margarita cost us $59 (again, UGH!)...it was a fun place, though.
Viva Mexico was a VERY cool shop for everything Mexico...I could have spent a LOT in there. They take CCs.
Oh, and make SURE you check your watch, as the ship time is 1 hr ahead of Cozumel local time. If you rely on your cell phone, remember that you need to be back by 8:30 (local) time to make the (9:30) boat curfew for departure.

mrsmommi March 14th, 2011 04:09 PM

i know the mayans excursion said we would stop off at at beach? do you know is that a nice beach and how much time you get there?
we really wanted to do something that or either jsut doing the playa mia beach thing?

Florida Girl March 14th, 2011 04:49 PM

You must hit Carlos & Charlies! Pay the money, experience the insanity & buy the picture - with the frame....

Also, there is a TERRIFIC Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville where the outside bar is amazing. You can literally swim out to one of the floating docs and little mexican boy will swim your bucket of beer to you. Tipping is encouraged! Enjoy! :)

fun2cruiz March 14th, 2011 04:55 PM

being that the tour is primarily about the ruins, I would not think that the beach time would be of any great length. Am uncertain what beach they will stop at. If looking for a beach day... I would go to Mr. Sancho's at San Fransisco Beach. Nice beach... good food and drink too + NO entrance fee like Chaakanab charges !

fun2cruiz March 14th, 2011 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Florida Girl (Post 1359357)
You must hit Carlos & Charlies! Pay the money, experience the insanity & buy the picture - with the frame....

Also, there is a TERRIFIC Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville where the outside bar is amazing. You can literally swim out to one of the floating docs and little mexican boy will swim your bucket of beer to you. Tipping is encouraged! Enjoy! :)

Been there... done that.... same stuff... different port and all OVER PRICED and "Americanized" if you will !!!
But I will aggree with you regarding a GOOD TIME to be had.... just watch those Drinks by the Yard... they will sneak up on you :(

HawkeyeFLA March 15th, 2011 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsmommi (Post 1359352)
i know the mayans excursion said we would stop off at at beach? do you know is that a nice beach and how much time you get there?
we really wanted to do something that or either jsut doing the playa mia beach thing?

If memory serves, after the tour guide lets you go, there's at least an hour or more of free time before your bus is set to leave. Myself and my friend just wandered around the ruins even more, since that is what I was there for. Then went and had a margarita. :-p When I get a chance, I will look at the time stamps on the pictures I took to see if I can get a better feel for it. Just know that it does take up the *whole* port time. The ferry left maybe 30m after we were off the ship, and when we got back, we had maybe 20 - 30m, which was just enough time to hit up Duty Free, then I don't even remember if we showered before going to the lido deck for dinner, since we had missed any chance of MDR dining.

But it was worth it. I wouldn't do it again, since I've seen them now, but I am so very glad I did.