Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 11th, 2011, 09:23 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhp View Post
Sorry Dave..."offended"??? that is just ridiculous.
A Definition of Offended: To be displeasing or disagreeable to.

Given the dictionary definition, what do you find ridiculous about my being offended?
Old March 11th, 2011, 09:47 PM
First Mate

I wonder if this will help fill cabins for the remaining dates left in Mobile. I'll have to book a trip since I'm only 2 1/2 hours away but have never sailed from there.

Jun2009-Alaska - Celebrity Mercury@ Vancouver
Dec2009-Mex&C.A.-NCL Spirit @ NOLA
Mar2010-Aru&Cura-HA WesterdamDam @ Ft. Lau
Dec2010-Caribb- MSC Poesia @ Ft. Lau
Dec2011-S. Caribb- Emerald Princess@Ft Lau
Apr2012-Bahamas- CCL Fascination@ Jacksville
Jan2013-E Caribbean- RC Brilliance @ San Juan,PR
ApMay'13-VolgaRiver-MS Chaikovsky-Rostov to Moscow
Old March 11th, 2011, 11:25 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I would say, clarifying this in my view, that Dave was not wishing a hurricane on New Orleans by any means, just making a statement, that, one day in the future, they will endure another storm.
That is not at all my read and I still find it offensive. He went on to state that he hoped Mobile would be unwilling to help out. Fine by me, but I am unwilling to reciprocate. I hope New Orleans does whatever it can to help out Gulf Coast neighbors.

As I pointed out, this is NOT a Mobile vs New Orleans issue. It is a Mobile vs Port Canaveral issue or a Mobile cheerleader vs Carnival issue. It has nothing to do with being a Carnival cheerleader and everything to do with loving the city where I was born and raised.

One day the world will end and cruising will be moot. That is guaranteed.
Old March 12th, 2011, 09:38 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Beers View Post
A Definition of Offended: To be displeasing or disagreeable to.

Given the dictionary definition, what do you find ridiculous about my being offended?

Despite the definition.....the word "offended" infers that Carnival has done something wrong...which they have not.

Disappointed is a better word choice.....

like I said...I don't remember you writing a post about being :offended: when RCCL pulled completely out of California?????

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old March 12th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Well Linda, in the future I'll try to do better.

As for your other post where you explained away the rush to announce the move...as being because the Port Canaveral CEO spilled the beans...so what you are saying is Carnival was working all along behind the backs of the Mobile officials? That the Port Canaveral people knew what was going on? Seems to be the case.

Carnival could not be "working behind the backs of Mobile" BECAUSE Carnival OWED MOBILE NOTHING!!!!

By talking with Port Canaveral....Carnival was doing what businesses do.... they were weighing their options. It is called PLANNING....FORECASTING...

I truly do not understand your "anger" at Carnival when MOBILE is the one that DID NOT DELIVER....

IF you want to be mad at someone..... blame the people did not produce the adequate cabin revenue.

20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
Old March 12th, 2011, 09:45 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
My guess is that there are just too many ships in the region - between New Orleans and galveston you have about 10.

Mobile is only about 2 hours driving from New Orleans - which has thankfully recovered from the hurricane.

The savings are two fold (on top of Mobile not producing acceptable Cabin Revenue)...

A. Fuel savings from sailing from PC to closer islands instead of Mobile across the Gulf.

B. Cost savings from only having to operate ONE port (New Orleans) instead of TWO (Mobile and New Orleans) going to the SAME destinations.

Old March 12th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by zydecocruiser View Post
That is not at all my read and I still find it offensive. He went on to state that he hoped Mobile would be unwilling to help out. Fine by me, but I am unwilling to reciprocate. I hope New Orleans does whatever it can to help out Gulf Coast neighbors.

As I pointed out, this is NOT a Mobile vs New Orleans issue. It is a Mobile vs Port Canaveral issue or a Mobile cheerleader vs Carnival issue. It has nothing to do with being a Carnival cheerleader and everything to do with loving the city where I was born and raised.

One day the world will end and cruising will be moot. That is guaranteed.

If anyone is "cheerleading" it is the people who think Mobile should remain a Carnival Cruise Port even if it doesn't produce adequate revenue......

if these Mobile cheerleaders think Mobile is such a fine opportunity....they will have NO problem bring in another cruise line to take Carnival's place...now that CARNIVAL passengers has paid for the ENTIRE infrastructure......

Last edited by lhp; March 12th, 2011 at 10:00 AM.
Old March 12th, 2011, 10:28 AM
Familiar Face

Default Carnival SHILL

After reading all the comment's on this THREAD ; lhp sounds like a SHILL for Carnival since all she is doing is saying that everybody is wrong and carnival is perfect !
Old March 12th, 2011, 04:27 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Securityman View Post
After reading all the comment's on this THREAD ; lhp sounds like a SHILL for Carnival since all she is doing is saying that everybody is wrong and carnival is perfect !
You just made yourself look completely ridiculous.

Most of the people on this board know me. I have sailed with them for years.

In fact, Paul Motter did an article on our family you might want to read to see just how wrong you are about me thinking Carnival is perfect.

However, I AM an Accountant that understands when a corporation has to make a difficult business decision.

And I believe in posting THE FACTS.

If you can't deal with the truth...then so be it...your loss.

Old March 12th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Well Linda, in the future I'll try to do better.

As for your other post where you explained away the rush to announce the move...as being because the Port Canaveral CEO spilled the beans...so what you are saying is Carnival was working all along behind the backs of the Mobile officials? That the Port Canaveral people knew what was going on? Seems to be the case.

Btw Dave...Carnival was in discussion with Port Canaveral about the ECSTASY....NOT the Elation. How in the world is that working behind Mobile's back????

So Carnival is suppose to clear all business decisions about moving a ship from Galveston to Port Canaveral with the Port of Mobile????

That is ridiculous.

Once the official at Port Canaveral leaked the ECSTASY deal, the only responsible thing to do was announce ALL the moves.

Old March 13th, 2011, 12:12 AM
Admiral

I feel bad for Mobile . When I cruised from there I was impressed with the way they handled things. I was so easy to drive to Mobile and not have to fly somewhere.
I can't buy this "fuel cost" reason. Is fuel more expensive in Mobile ?
How many ships to Half Moon Cay does the world need ? Progesso is much better ! Chichen Itza and Uxmal sure beats a beach day.
I sure don't get it

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Old March 15th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoth View Post
I feel bad for Mobile . When I cruised from there I was impressed with the way they handled things. I was so easy to drive to Mobile and not have to fly somewhere.
I can't buy this "fuel cost" reason. Is fuel more expensive in Mobile ?
How many ships to Half Moon Cay does the world need ? Progesso is much better ! Chichen Itza and Uxmal sure beats a beach day.
I sure don't get it

Let me address the "fuel cost" reason.

With the unrest in the Middle East...the reality of oil going as high as $140 is a distinct possibility.

Cruise Corporations (at least the smart ones like Carnival) have contingency plans to handle whatever "what ifs" life may throw at them.

This was not about moving the Elation to New Orleans....this was about moving the ECSTASY to Port Canaveral.

With a Fantasy class ship using one gallon of bunker oil for every 60 feet.... you don't have to be a mathematician to see the cost savings.

Elation is moving to New Orleans to fill the ECSTASY'S hole...Carnival had already contracted to put a second ship in New Orleans. It was suppose to be the ECSTASY.

With estimated Nautical miles from Galveston - Progreso being about 600 (Cozumel is even further)

and Florida - Nassau being about 300 .....

it is easy to see why moving the Ecstasy to Port Canaveral made sense and FUEL would have been the reason.

Apparently the vast majority of cruisers I have talked with on the 10 or so forums I belong to completely disagree about your opinion of Progreso.
They wish Carnival would drop Progreso all together and wish they could go to Half Moon Cay every week. In fact, you are the only person I have ever said they would prefer Progreso over Half Moon Cay. Sadly, beach beats history.

Carnival had two ships (Fantasy Class and Conquest Class) in New Orleans for YEARS (along with NCL and RCCL) BEFORE Katrina. They made good money and now that New Orleans is back..they will again.

No one wants to hear about this kind of loss....but that port was not easy to drive to. The Terminal PEOPLE were wonderful...but any slight snafu and the traffic became a chaotic mess.

Nothing starts a cruise off like sitting on the Interstate for 20 minutes while a train is STOPPED blocking the entrance. And don't even get me started on the times we were rerouted to the off site parking IN THE RAIN...to have the joy of pulling out luggage to the bus (when it finally arrived) IN THE RAIN ...

oh and the joy of your terminal where you got to play "dodge the cruiser" as folks were coming off the ship and walking across the arrival car lanes taking their luggage to get to people waiting for them on the other side of the terminal waiting to pick them up

AND then dodging the cruisers arriving as they were being dropped off dragging their luggage across the arrival car lanes where people were trying to drop off luggage before going into the parking garage.....

only to have the joy of having the TWO "VIP" lanes completely blocked by one car in each lane as some cruisers decide they need to have a 30 minute Q & A session...BLOCKING everyone behind them.
please...that is anything but easy....

Old March 17th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Admiral

When I cruised out of Mobile it was easy, very easy. The easiest cruise out of my 11. The problems described could happen anywhere. You want horror stories...NYC was for me.
To be honest...I'm not a beach person. That said I've been to Half Moon "Key" and Progreso and Progreso wins as the better port of call. There are beaches there and there is much history in Mexico. Mobile area has some fine beaches if that's all one cares for :|. Half Moon "key" might have lovely water, but that's it...nothing else. History ? No ! Culture ? No !
I seriously doubt that I'm the only cruiser who is into history or culture.
those Alaskan and Canada/New England ships seem to sell well.

I can understand fuel concerns being alleviated by sailing from Florida, but not moving a ship from Mobile to New Orleans. I say one ship in each port...5 day ones out of Mobile, 7 day trips out of New Orleans.
Anyway Mobile will soon be history so...Enjoy your flight to Florida.

/ticker.png">
Old March 18th, 2011, 09:42 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoth View Post
When I cruised out of Mobile it was easy, very easy. The easiest cruise out of my 11. The problems described could happen anywhere. You want horror stories...NYC was for me.
To be honest...I'm not a beach person. That said I've been to Half Moon "Key" and Progreso and Progreso wins as the better port of call. There are beaches there and there is much history in Mexico. Mobile area has some fine beaches if that's all one cares for :|. Half Moon "key" might have lovely water, but that's it...nothing else. History ? No ! Culture ? No !
I seriously doubt that I'm the only cruiser who is into history or culture.
those Alaskan and Canada/New England ships seem to sell well.

I can understand fuel concerns being alleviated by sailing from Florida, but not moving a ship from Mobile to New Orleans. I say one ship in each port...5 day ones out of Mobile, 7 day trips out of New Orleans.

Anyway Mobile will soon be history so...Enjoy your flight to Florida.
Again, it wasn't the fuel difference between Mobile and New Orleans...it was the fuel difference between GALVESTON and PORT CANAVERAL.

The Elation just got caught in the middle.

Carnival had contracted (key word here) to bring a Fantasy class ship to New Orleans. Due to the HUGE fuel savings of moving the Ecstasy to PC, another Fantasy class had to be selected.

The ONLY reasons it was the Elation seem to be common sense to me because :

1. It wasn't producing the TOTAL revenues needed.
2. It wasn't under contract.

No flights for me this year...I will just drive to New Orleans or Galveston.....as the signature shows....

Btw. New York was one of our easiest embarkations to date...but then we did not drive there.....

Old March 18th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Admiral

Smile luck of the draw

I guess cruising is very much luck of the draw since I had an easy time in Mobile and a harder time in NYC and for another person it was the other way around.
Bad luck hasn't stopped me from cruising yet.
Whatever...enjoy your drive or flights. I planning on enjoying my flight to Montreal in May...can't wait !!

/ticker.png">