CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Grand Cayman tender? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/381114-grand-cayman-tender.html)

Ramfactor March 12th, 2011 10:43 AM

Grand Cayman tender?

Hello all,
I will be on the Freedom arriving at Grand Cayman the first week of June. We have an excursion scheduled for 9 a.m., but transport will pick us up at 8:30. Ship is due to arrive at 8 a.m. We will be riding waverunners to stingray island. Anyway, my question is this. How early do I need to be ready in order to catch the first tender off the ship? Thanks!

Mike M March 12th, 2011 10:51 AM

Tendering will begin shortly (1/2 hour to 45 minutes) after you drop anchor. I would be ready "before" you drop anchor and get an early tender. Remember, ship's excursions and suites will have priority and usually go first.

Take care,
Mike

Ramfactor March 12th, 2011 10:55 AM

Thanks Mike, only problem I can see is that this excursion is not booked through CCL. But I'm sure the excursion company is used to dealing with cruise passengers. They had many good reviews on tripadvisor.

Fern March 12th, 2011 06:00 PM

I hate to say this, but I don't think there's any way you'll be at the pier by 8:30. As Mike said, they'll call for Suite passengers and cruise line excursions first. That could take up at least the first two tenders, and maybe more.

I hope you're right about your excursion operator, and they'll wait for you:-) !

Snoozeman March 12th, 2011 06:55 PM

The independent tour operators deal with it every day. They know you won't be there that early and they will wait!

Donna March 12th, 2011 07:27 PM

They usually hand out numbers to get off the ship when tendering after all the people that booked through the cruiseline. Just make sure to be up early, so you can get a number right away.

Ramfactor March 12th, 2011 09:47 PM

Well, if they don't wait, I'm only out the $50 deposit. Then I can spend the day trying the local rums and a nice cuban cigar. hehe! Thanks for the suggestions, I'll be up early.

zydecocruiser March 13th, 2011 12:34 PM

Suites don't get priority tendering.

I think they generally say allow 45 minutes if not on a ship tour. It is only about a 5 minute ride, however.

It is trivial for an individual to "sneak" onto an early tender - they don't check that closely and stickers are always falling off. As long as you aren't a large group stuck to each other, that is always an option.

There will be a procedure for non-ship tour people to follow - stand in line for tender stickers and such. Not everyone has to wait in line, but everyone has to be together and ready to go once your tender number is called. While one is waiting in line, another can go fetch breakfast from Lido and bring back to the person waiting.

Anyway, the procedure will be published in the daily paper which you will receive the night before.

Before I was Platinum, I might have printed my own tender stickers at home before the cruises. rofl:p :evil:

AngelFish March 14th, 2011 11:31 AM

Do keep in mind that Cayman does not have daylight savings time to 9am local time is 10am ship time. Cayman will be 1 hr earlier then ship time if your ship is departing from the East Coast/Florida:-)

BTW, not sure which one you've booked but we loved the wave runner /stingray city tour we did - Stingray City Sandbar Wave Runner Adventure Grand Cayman Islands

You can calso check the ship arrival times on http://caymanport.com

Ramfactor March 14th, 2011 11:47 AM

Yep, that's the one. Six of us on this excursion, my wife and I and 4 kids ages 13 to 28. Should be fun! And thanks for the heads up on time. We'll be on the Freedom leaving Ft. Lauderdale May 29.