Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 12th, 2011, 10:43 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Grand Cayman tender?

Hello all,
I will be on the Freedom arriving at Grand Cayman the first week of June. We have an excursion scheduled for 9 a.m., but transport will pick us up at 8:30. Ship is due to arrive at 8 a.m. We will be riding waverunners to stingray island. Anyway, my question is this. How early do I need to be ready in order to catch the first tender off the ship? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old March 12th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Tendering will begin shortly (1/2 hour to 45 minutes) after you drop anchor. I would be ready "before" you drop anchor and get an early tender. Remember, ship's excursions and suites will have priority and usually go first.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 12th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Thanks Mike, only problem I can see is that this excursion is not booked through CCL. But I'm sure the excursion company is used to dealing with cruise passengers. They had many good reviews on tripadvisor.
Old March 12th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Admiral

I hate to say this, but I don't think there's any way you'll be at the pier by 8:30. As Mike said, they'll call for Suite passengers and cruise line excursions first. That could take up at least the first two tenders, and maybe more.

I hope you're right about your excursion operator, and they'll wait for you:-) !

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old March 12th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

The independent tour operators deal with it every day. They know you won't be there that early and they will wait!

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Dream-Caribbean-7/13/2014, Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old March 12th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

They usually hand out numbers to get off the ship when tendering after all the people that booked through the cruiseline. Just make sure to be up early, so you can get a number right away.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 12th, 2011, 09:47 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Well, if they don't wait, I'm only out the $50 deposit. Then I can spend the day trying the local rums and a nice cuban cigar. hehe! Thanks for the suggestions, I'll be up early.
Old March 13th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Admiral

Suites don't get priority tendering.

I think they generally say allow 45 minutes if not on a ship tour. It is only about a 5 minute ride, however.

It is trivial for an individual to "sneak" onto an early tender - they don't check that closely and stickers are always falling off. As long as you aren't a large group stuck to each other, that is always an option.

There will be a procedure for non-ship tour people to follow - stand in line for tender stickers and such. Not everyone has to wait in line, but everyone has to be together and ready to go once your tender number is called. While one is waiting in line, another can go fetch breakfast from Lido and bring back to the person waiting.

Anyway, the procedure will be published in the daily paper which you will receive the night before.

Before I was Platinum, I might have printed my own tender stickers at home before the cruises. :evil:
Old March 14th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Cruise Maniac

Do keep in mind that Cayman does not have daylight savings time to 9am local time is 10am ship time. Cayman will be 1 hr earlier then ship time if your ship is departing from the East Coast/Florida:-)

BTW, not sure which one you've booked but we loved the wave runner /stingray city tour we did - Stingray City Sandbar Wave Runner Adventure Grand Cayman Islands

You can calso check the ship arrival times on http://caymanport.com
Old March 14th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Yep, that's the one. Six of us on this excursion, my wife and I and 4 kids ages 13 to 28. Should be fun! And thanks for the heads up on time. We'll be on the Freedom leaving Ft. Lauderdale May 29.