Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 13th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Familiar Face

Default Please suggest Insurance

So we will be booking and paying in full for our Carnival Cruise (first timers) June 19th-26th to Mexico out of Long Beach.

I went to insuremytrip.com as suggested but don't know all that I need. I am usually great at researching online but I don't want to take chances.

This would be for myself and by then husband and the trip including all gratuties will be 1810.00 (spa 9 interior stateroom).

Could someone suggest exactly what I need? Like I said there is just too many options and I am confused lol.

I appreciate your help very much and thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old March 13th, 2011, 02:28 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by allgood2010 View Post
So we will be booking and paying in full for our Carnival Cruise (first timers) June 19th-26th to Mexico out of Long Beach.

I went to insuremytrip.com as suggested but don't know all that I need. I am usually great at researching online but I don't want to take chances.

This would be for myself and by then husband and the trip including all gratuties will be 1810.00 (spa 9 interior stateroom).

Could someone suggest exactly what I need? Like I said there is just too many options and I am confused lol.

I appreciate your help very much and thank you.
The main things are: Medical and Medical Evacuation insurance. You should have at least $25,000 per person for medical and $100,000 for evacuation. Evacuation covers more than just the helicopter from the ship to shore. It also covers, repatriation, medical flights, airfare for companion or for family member to come to be with you and medical personnel, if required, to travel with you.

In reality, cancellation insurance is not a "requirement". If you lose the money you paid for the cruise it will not financially devastate you. You basically don't get to take the cruise and are no worse off financially than you were if you did take it. However, if you have to pay five or six figures in a medical emergency that will definitely hurt the retirement account.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 13th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Admiral

No doubt you need it for medical emergencies but I also want to know if I miss the ship or need to cancel Iím not out the money. A few thousand dollars wonít devastate me but who want to be out that much money?

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old March 13th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Familiar Face

Ok so I did what you instructed and came up with $25.45 total for both of us ($100 deductible). This has 50k Medical and $100k emergency evacuation. It asks for a passport number which we will not have since we are using birth certificate and ID. Does this all sound about right or am I missing something. The company selected has an A+ rating if that means anything.
Old March 13th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

If you are flying, also add the fares into the total...call them if you are at all unsure. I do of know someone who was repatriated, after going to a hospital in Jamacia. Nobody wants any surprises when your health is at stake...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; March 13th, 2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old March 13th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Admiral

My wife was almost killed in a auto accident in 2006, and the medflight from the scene to the nearest level one trauma center (a 10 minute flight) cost me $10,000, which thankfully our insurance covered. I can't imagine the cost of a medical evacuation jet from, say, Montego Bay to Miami. Since then I always ensure my policy has at least $100k for medical evacuation.

I've never had an insurer ask for a passport number. I usually go with Travel Insured or Travelex after comparing things at insuremytrip.com.
Old March 16th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Familiar Face

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I am sorry to hear about those of you who had difficulties and I am glad everything is ok.

I forgot to update with the insurance I purchased.

It came out to $38.00 for both of us for June 19th-26 going to Mexico. We got the $100k evacuation and 500k medical (it was a different of fifty cents per day for the lower). Also it has a $100 deductible. If I missed anything let me know but I do feel better knowing we are covered which I would have never thought of had I not joined this forum.

Thanks again.
Old March 16th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Glad to hear one thing is scratched off you to do list....peace of mind is grand

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 22nd, 2011, 10:20 AM
Admiral

We always use CSA....

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old March 20th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Familiar Face

I'll be going with my wife on our first cruise in a couple months. We've been on foreign trips before and have gotten medical travel insurance. Is this the same or is there a cruise specific insurance to get?