Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 15th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Carnival Pride

This is only our second cruise (first was honeymoon) and since this is our daughters HS graduation present, you can see that it has been a long time. Just some general questions, leaving from Baltimore, any tips for boarding day? (thinking about staying an a hotel and taking a shuttle to the pier) As for the ship, what are the "don't misses"? I believe from what I have read the food is decent. Any place better than others? Also, visiting Grand Turk, Half moon Cay and Freeport. Any thoughts on what we shouldn't miss? Any help, suggestions, tips or any other input would be greatly appreciated!!

THANKS!!!
Sponsored Links
Old March 15th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

You have 2 beach days..one, a slice of paradise on HMC...you can rent a clamshell or a cabana....there is a food pavillion with a buffet, gorgeous water and sand.

Grand turk has a beach as you get off the ship,and through the gates, lots of shops and a big pool ..also Margarittaville.

Freeport I wasn't too thrilled with, but, if you snorkle, I have heard it's wonderful..straw market there too.

Have a great cruise...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 15th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Admiral

I love the Spirit Class ships....

we have never sailed out of Baltimore so I can't add any tips for that port...but once you get onboard ...

remember that :

1. The steam and sauna is included in your cruise price. Some people think that just because you have to walk past the Spa desk..it will cost more. It doesn't. Also they have lockers for free, but they will hold your Sail and Sign card until they get the key back.

2. If you like expressos etc, the ones on the Promenade cost more..but they are free in the Main Dining Room at every meal that the MDR is open.

3. Don't forget the Fun Farewell Party that replaced the Captain's Party for FREE drinks. 5pm on the last day....watch your Fun Times ...the reminder will be "tiny"

4. If you think you can mix a "cool drink"...enter the mixologist contest...if you get selected to participate...you get a coupon for a free drink PLUS you get the drink that you made. IF you win, you get 4 coupons!! (for alcohol...not just soda)

5. They do charge for bottle water and soda BUT you can carry on 12pkg per person and WINE or Champagne1 bottle (750ml) per adult over the age of 21. The breakfast buffet will have orange juice if take champagne and want to start the day with a mimosa...

6. The breakfast juice bar is swapped out for lemonade and ice tea at lunch. Of course coffee, hot chocolate and hot tea are available on Lido 24 hours a day.

7. Room service is included in our cruise fare and is 24 hours a day. a one dollar tip is customary.

8. Speaking of tips, now they are automatically added to your Sail and Sign account. $10 per person per day (unless you prepaid them) No more having to worry about having the correct change and stuffing envelopes.

9. Your Fun Times will be in your cabin when you arrive for that night and the Fun Times for the next day will be left in your cabin when the Cabin Steward does the turn down service while you are at dinner.

10. IF you use a Birth Certificate, it MUST be an original STATE issued BC. Not a hospital issued and not a copy.

One more thing....

don't forget to have an AMAZING cruise....and congrats on the graduation.

Our son is graduating in May from college (Chemical Engineer) ..... and yes, we are taking him on a cruise!!!

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old March 16th, 2011, 09:28 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Wow! Thanks, that was just what I was looking for. Anyone else?
Old April 1st, 2011, 04:11 PM
Admiral

Just to elaborate a little more on the ports...

Half Moon Cay is owned by Carnival ...so all your drinks will be Carnival prices and charged to your Sail and Sign card. The BBQ lunch (hamburgers cookout) is free. (just like the regular meals on the ship) And there is a new pirate ship (which means more shade for shade people like myself)

Grand Turk is a fairly simple port. Margaritaville right at the port. Jack's Shack is down the beach a little bit. Again since it is an island and everything has to be brought in...it can be a little pricey.

We have not been back to Freeport in YEARS...(although we are going in May). It will be interesting to see if anything has changed.

Have a wonderful cruise.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old April 4th, 2011, 05:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

I was on the Pride last Summer and had a great time. The on-ship and port recommendations pretty much cover it. We had the same itinerary that you have and my absolute favorite stop was Half Moon Cay. It was the best day at the beach ever. The only negative was you have to tender in so if you want to get "dibs" on being the first off the ship, best to reserve some sort of excursion (lots of water things to do) or reserve one of the cabanas. The cabanas are a bit pricey but are a nice choice to keep you from fighting the crowds for prime beach space. Also, you say you may stay at a hotel and shuttle to the port. I don't know if this means you are flying in or just driving but if you are driving, the port is very easy to get to and parking was simple as it sits right at the dock. Since we live in MD, we drove to the port and had no problems whatsoever, so you may want to consider this option if you are driving.

Enjoy!
Old April 6th, 2011, 06:51 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhp View Post
Just to elaborate a little more on the ports...

Half Moon Cay is owned by Carnival ...so all your drinks will be Carnival prices and charged to your Sail and Sign card. The BBQ lunch (hamburgers cookout) is free. (just like the regular meals on the ship) And there is a new pirate ship (which means more shade for shade people like myself)

Grand Turk is a fairly simple port. Margaritaville right at the port. Jack's Shack is down the beach a little bit. Again since it is an island and everything has to be brought in...it can be a little pricey.

We have not been back to Freeport in YEARS...(although we are going in May). It will be interesting to see if anything has changed.

Have a wonderful cruise.
we will be visitng Grand Turk in 16 days! would you say that there is much to see and do on our own without booking a shore trip via carnival?

We always feel like we are getting rush around and never have time to just relax and enjoy the ports
thanks Karmen
Old August 24th, 2011, 09:13 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Smile first time

can't wait my family and friends will be on our way to the bahamas oct 9 2011 on the pride can anyone tell me how the ship is
Old April 2nd, 2012, 01:29 PM
Admiral

We are planning a cruise aboard the Pride in April of 2013...
The ports are the 2 Bahama ports and Port of Orlando.

Has anyone ever gone to Altantis for the day with a pass? What does it cost and what is can you do while there?

I also read that the Pride will be going in for maintance in 2013. Does anyone know when?

thank you

Darlene
Destiny-4/9/2000-E. Caribbean
Valor-5/11/2008
Liberty-5/1/2010
Pride 4/21/2013
Pride 9/8/2013
Imagination 11/11/2013
Pride 12/8/2013

LOVE TO CRUISE
Old April 2nd, 2012, 01:33 PM
Admiral

Default Getting from the Baltimore airport

What is the best way to get to the port from the Baltimore airport?

I read that the Carnival shuttles can be rather expensive. It is best to get a cab or to rent a privite bus shuttle?

The 3 ports we will be going to are the 2 Bahama ports and the Port of Orlando.

All suggestions of what to do while on these poiorts is greatly appreciated

Thank you

Darlene
Destiny-4/9/2000-E. Caribbean
Valor-5/11/2008
Liberty-5/1/2010
Pride 4/21/2013
Pride 9/8/2013
Imagination 11/11/2013
Pride 12/8/2013

LOVE TO CRUISE