Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 18th, 2011, 04:10 PM
Admiral

Default A Warning about Renting a Vehicle in Cozumel

This is a very well written blog about what happened to one family.

and just one of the many reasons, I never rent a vehicle in Cozumel.

Now no one rents a vehicle with the idea that they will hit someone or be in an accident.

We need to remember that the rules in America of just writing up a report and letting the insurance company figure it out WHEN NO LAWS WERE BROKEN....do not apply in Mexico.

Also do not miss the part that even with the BEST insurance, the operator of the vehicle was still out some substantial cash.

The Online Writings of Wade Burleson

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Sponsored Links
Old March 18th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Bad idea to rent anything (Mexico)

Mexico is not where you want to be if you get in a accident
of any kind. Never rent any scooters, cars jeeps of any kind you are putting yourself in a bad situation. If any thing happens even if it's someone elses fault the policia can detain you and you can miss the ship. And if it is your fault can you imagine a Mexican Prision even for a hour. No buffets and or hot tubs there. There is nothing to see in Cozumel anyway other than poverty in the outskirts of the Downtown shopping area or just take a tour. I have heard may horrors stories about this. Just stay safe and have a great cruise. When all else fails just use common sense. Ed
Old March 18th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Familiar Face

To be honest, I don't rent really anything outside of the US. My cousin ran into a scam in Aruba (rented jetskis, and when returned the shop claimed there was over $700 in damage), but luckily (after many hours of arguing with them and the police), he got out of it.

Because of that, I'll pass on renting stuff

Carnival Liberty, 1/28/11
RCCL 2003,2004
Old March 18th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Admiral

I won't go back to Mexico period! three times was plenty for me.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old March 19th, 2011, 04:09 AM
First Mate

American rules of business don't work outside of America? I'm aghast to learn this. Seriously people, you're visiting someone else's country. Hell, even your own health insurance is questionable once you leave the borders. But first and foremost, there is more to this big ball of blue and green than just USA.

I guess maybe I've got a different mindset. I grew up in Europe. My language skills aren't perfect these days since it has been awhile since I have been over there, but I can still half way understand the languages of the countries I lived in.

And ... I'm gonna stop my ramble now.

Past cruises:

Disney Dream - Dec 2013 4n Bahamas
Disney Dream - Dec 2012 4n Bahamas
Carnival Imagination - Dec 2011 4n Western
Carnival Imagination - Nov 2010 4n Western
Costa Atlantica - Dec 2009 7n Eastern

My opinions are mine and mine alone. They do not represent the opinions of The Walt Disney Company nor any of its subsidiaries.
Old March 19th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

I have been to COZ many many times beit via cruise ship or staying at an AI resort..... Never felt unsafe when renting a jeep from a reputable agency. Always took out full coverage....never a problem driving around the island....just stay away from the downtown areas where the main traffic congestion/potential accidents can occur and you will be fine.

"January"
Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old March 19th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Familiar Face

I've rented before but after reading that I won't take that kind of chance again.
Old March 20th, 2011, 08:11 AM
Admiral

I have rented vehicles in Cozumel numerous times and never had any issues. However, after reading Mr. Burleson's blog, I will never do it again. I too thought as long as I purchased all the supplemental insurances I would be protected. I was aware that if you were in an accident, the damages had to be cared for prior to being allowed to leave the country, which is why I always purchased the premium insurance. I was not aware of further liability that would not have been covered if an injury resulted from the accident.
Taxis are inexpensive in Cozumel. No problem.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old March 20th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruised1014 View Post
....There is nothing to see in Cozumel anyway other than poverty in the outskirts of the Downtown shopping area or just take a tour....Ed
Your WAY off base here. I'd like you to show me the poverty areas. This is one place in Mexico where there is really is none. Perhaps not up to your standards, but actually very high for Mexico. Because of the importance of tourism the Gov't has had two big buy-out programs (late 1980's and mid 1990's) where they bought out all the small land holdings and poorer homes following hurricanes. These people were relocated and there is no longer any real subsidised housing on Cozumel (IMHO encourages slums-just look at the USA). Great people and great place--lot's of things to see, especially the beautiful water.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old March 20th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozeman View Post
Your WAY off base here. I'd like you to show me the poverty areas. This is one place in Mexico where there is really is none. Perhaps not up to your standards, but actually very high for Mexico. Because of the importance of tourism the Gov't has had two big buy-out programs (late 1980's and mid 1990's) where they bought out all the small land holdings and poorer homes following hurricanes. These people were relocated and there is no longer any real subsidised housing on Cozumel (IMHO encourages slums-just look at the USA). Great people and great place--lot's of things to see, especially the beautiful water.

I agree.

Wonderful hardworking people.....the East side is beautiful. I could sit and watch those waves forever....

20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
Old March 20th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Admiral

I think the biggest warning from this article is that even WHEN you use a reputable rental agency (as they did) and purchase the BEST insurance (as they did)....

IF the unthinkable happens, you can still be saddled with thousands in out of pocket costs.

In the US, medical costs and loss of income is covered in the insurance policy. In Mexico, it is not.

People simply need to be fully informed so that IF they rent that vehicle and something unforeseen happens, they know what to expect.

This gentleman certainly never intended to hit someone on a motorcycle.

Old March 20th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhp View Post
I think the biggest warning from this article is that even WHEN you use a reputable rental agency (as they did) and purchase the BEST insurance (as they did)....

IF the unthinkable happens, you can still be saddled with thousands in out of pocket costs.

In the US, medical costs and loss of income is covered in the insurance policy. In Mexico, it is not.

People simply need to be fully informed so that IF they rent that vehicle and something unforeseen happens, they know what to expect.

This gentleman certainly never intended to hit someone on a motorcycle.
The financial aspect is bad enough, but what I find even more frightening is the thought of being locked away in a Mexican jail.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old March 20th, 2011, 10:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenie weenie View Post
The financial aspect is bad enough, but what I find even more frightening is the thought of being locked away in a Mexican jail.
Like the Dog? (Bounty Hunter)

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.