Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 11th, 2011, 02:48 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to cruzaddict
Question Cruising out of New Orleans

I'm part of a large group cruising out of New Orleans May 14th; some want to park at the terminal then walk to Cafe Du Monde where we can all meet up before boarding. It looks like a long walk to me, but...?

Frequent (or past) cruisers sailing out of NOLA - is this a good idea? If not, is there a good place to meet closer to the terminal? If their hearts are set on having Beignets and Cafe Au Lait, do we need to park near Cafe Du Monde first then trek over to the cruise terminal after?

I do hope it's a good plan but I'm afraid not

Thanks & Happy Cruising!!!

Carnival Ecstasy 4-06, Carnival Conquest 9-07
Mariner OTS 9-08, Carnival Conquest 2-09
Carnival Conquest 9-09, Carnival Fantasy 1-10
Carnival Triumph 5-11, Mariner OTS 11-11
Sponsored Links
Old April 11th, 2011, 03:33 AM
Admiral

I don't go downtown much these days, but I think there is a shuttle ($1 or so) that you can catch from Canal Street that will take you very close to the Cafe..I will double check today and post
Old April 11th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to T C Send a message via AIM to T C

Park at the terminal, the cruise terminal is on the Riverfront Street Car line, a street car stops at the terminal and can take you directly to the French Quarter. (yes it does make round trips)

But why is the rum gone? ~ Capt. Jack Sparrow

also booked: 10/10/13 Carnival Victory B2B, 01/12/14 Carnival Sunshine
Old April 11th, 2011, 09:38 AM
Familiar Face

If you are in fairly good shape it is not too far to walk..however, as Venice and T C posted, there is a shuttle, or street car that runs right by the riverwalk, will take you within a block of Cafe du Monde...just tell the driver where u want to go and he will direct you. It is only like $1.25 for a round trip..at least that is what it was last July. DH and I are thinking maybe doing the Cafe du Monde AFTER we get of our Triumph cruise next month. mmm..I need some of that cafe au lait!!!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old April 11th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Familiar Face

oh, and also..regarding parking closer to the Cafe du Monde....if it there are several vehicles, as you are part of a larger group, there will probably be a hard time finding good parking spots, also, remember, you will have to pay for parking, and it is not cheap, sorry to say. So best idea is park at terminal and catch the street car..maybe we will pass you on our way! We leave on the 7th and have to get off on the 14!

Old April 11th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Captain

I always go in the day before and last two times I got Holiday Inn Superdome for $99 (including cruise parking) and they shuttle us on the hour to several spots. ... including to the terminal the morning of the cruise.

personally I dont think you have time to park at the terminal the day of the cruise (the lines are horrendous early on and you cant go in and park early), and then getting all the way to cafe du mond and back ... and miss the lunch buffet on board??

Maybe Im missing something and you arent planning on doing this the day of the cruise ...but parking there a day earlier?? It doesnt sound to me like it would work the day of the cruise. .. except you mention parking at the terminal. ... this is not a easy place to drive into and park early the morning of your cruise.
Old April 11th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Admiral

Flowers..excellent point about trying to do both the same day8)..a suggestion..Cafe Du Mont is open 24/7..whatever hotel you are staying at might agree to run their shuttle roundtrip to the Cafe around midnight the night before..crowds are less, alot of the street musicians are playing in front or across the street from the Cafe and you can have a unique New Orleans experience and back to your hotel by 0100 am (who sleeps the night before their cruise out of New Orleans anyway)

remember not to wear dark colors (the white sugar coating will get all over your clothes, that's part of the experience)
Old April 11th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Admiral

another suggestion..go to www.nola.com they will have a calendar of events (festivals etc) listed by month and see what's going on in the City..you will miss JazzFest by 1 week, but that time of year there is a food/music festival every weekend..also if you are coming in a day or two early by all means go to the WW2 Museum..it's incredible
Old April 11th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Admiral

Is there still a Cafe DuMonde IN the Riverwalk itself???

If so, an easy walk up some stairs and down the mall a little bit...

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old April 11th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Familiar Face

yes, there is a 'satellite' Cafe du Monde inside the Riverwalk...just does not have the same ambience

Old April 11th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanmama View Post
yes, there is a 'satellite' Cafe du Monde inside the Riverwalk...just does not have the same ambience
Very true--tastes the same though.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old April 14th, 2011, 09:59 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozeman View Post
Very true--tastes the same though.
I ga-ron-tee!

Watch out if you take some outside - the seagulls and others are extremely stealthy and experienced at snatching beignets and won't miss an opportunity to do so.

Parking can be expensive in the French Quarter if you decide that route. The riverfront streetcar is $1.25 each way, exact fare.
Old April 17th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Familiar Face

after discussing this thread with dh, we are wondering now if this is something we can do. We are driving in the day of our cruise, and plan to park at the terminal. Hoping to arrive between 11 and 12, maybe by 1. Can we park, give the porters our checked luggage, and just take our carry-ons and hop the street car to the Cafe du Monde? or once in the parking garage do we have to go straight to the terminal? I'm kind of thinking the Lido will have lunches all week, but we are really limited to the time we can get the beignets

Old April 17th, 2011, 09:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

If I didn't get there before 1:00 I wouldn't try it. If you get there at by 11:00-go for it.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old April 17th, 2011, 11:46 PM
Captain

If I didnt get there to park until 11 am ... Im going to get on the ship and have lunch!!!! lmao

Those sugar powdery donuts arent THAT good the replace lunch on the ship. The coffee with milk tastes a lot like what I make at home.
Old April 18th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Familiar Face

Yeah, I figure by the time we get to NOLA we will be so excited about getting on board we will not even think of trying to go anywhere but straight to the ship Less than 3 weeks now, and I am already getting in a tizzy

Old April 18th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Familiar Face

Hi there...I am from New Orleans....it is a great idea to walk....not too far...if the ship is near the Hilton on the river...you could all meet there...say the lobby or bar?...and then take a streetcar (along the river...for about 6 blocks and you are there!!!! p.s. don't wear black if you don't want all of that yummy powdered sugar from the beignets to sprinkle your outfit :-) enjoy!!!!!

cruisegirl7