Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 15th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Familiar Face

Post Vip status right !!!!!!

Here's the scoop, DW and I has been on 12 Carnival Cruises. Just booked from Carnivals Website for the first time. Needless to say it will be the last time. Here's why, found a cruise at what was to us a special deal. My sister and brother-in-law called and said to check it out. We got on the phones and computers at the exact time and booked the same cruise. We booked 4A Inside Guarantees just 10 days prior to the sail date. We finally got issued cabin numbers just 2 days prior to sailing. They (Not VIPS) were issued cabin E81 (good deal), we were issued cabin R62 bunk beds (good deal NOT). I called as soon as I could dial the number to find out what was the deal with those cabin assignments. I was told that booking online through Carnivals inside guarantee doesn't always mean 4A. We found out the hard way. I was on the phone for almost 2 hours and was told the ship is full and there is nothing we can do unless there is a no show or cancellation. I guess VIP here means various inside positions......

Sponsored Links
Old April 15th, 2011, 09:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Sorry you got a bum deal, you just never know....I'm sure you will still have a great time, and just don't spend a lot of time in the cabin. Be sure to check if there is anything else available when you get there, doesn't hurt to ask.

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 15th, 2011, 09:36 PM
Captain

You are right, the number of cruises is not necessarily a determining factor, no one seems to know how the cabins are selected for guarantees. You seem most upset that your non VIP relatives got a better cabin than you. I often hear of first timers getting free upgrades. ... Im still waiting for my first free upgrade with Carnival (and yep Im VIP too).

Are you on a older ship?? If so you can ask for a rollaway from your cabin steward. I saw one brought to a 1A cabin my last cruise. Just find a way to make the cabin work, a 1A isnt that bad.

What ship is this ... on newer ships, most of the 1As are not bunk beds. A little more info on what ship etc, maybe we can tell you the beds arent bunk beds.
Old April 15th, 2011, 09:37 PM
Familiar Face

I was already told to go straight to the VIP guest relations as soon as I get onboard to see if there were any no shows or cancelations. I will be there, but it won't matter one way or the other. We will make it a great cruise.

Old April 15th, 2011, 10:22 PM
Familiar Face

It is an older Ship (ELATION) and I've already asked if a rollaway was possible and was told NO. We actually have gotten an upgrade once before, booked and inside 4A and found out at the terminal at check in we had a 6A. The fact is both of us booked at the exact time, we were on the phones and on different computers filling in the pages at the same time. When we both hit book it, our booking numbers were 1 digit different. This is there 9th cruise with Carnival. i'm happy they got the upgrade, but they actually feel bad for us. I just feel that on Carnivals own website, maybe a check box to check for Platinum Status indications to show the people who issues out the cabins your status. I was told when Guarantee cabin asssignments are given out, they don't even look to see if you've cruised before or not. that may be a perk there don't care much about. As long as the ship fills up. We will have a ball, my wife and I keep laughing about it, this will be the first time in 25 years of marriage we will sleep in the same room with separate beds. NO I don't think we will fit in 1 twin bed....

Old April 16th, 2011, 01:47 AM
Captain

How could you have already asked the cabin steward prior to boarding if you can get a rollaway?? (thats who I mentioned if you wanted one, that is who to ask). Thats who did it for the couple I saw with a 1A. In fact I stopped to chat with the cabin steward about it. Give him a $20 and Ill betcha he finds a spare rollaway for your cabin. They cant use all of them every single cruise. I know I could get one with a $20, 9 out of 10 times or better.

No you cant ask ahead of time and get it set up.

btw I will be back on Elation May 2nd myself, so I know the ship.
Old April 16th, 2011, 07:00 AM
Admiral

I wouldn't wait until you are on the ship. I would check with Carnival daily to see if any upgrades are available. If you need to pay more, just pay more.

There is often no rhyme or reason behind cabin assignments. If you booked an inside GTY, then a 1a is possible. If you booked a 4A GTY, you would end up with at least a 4A.

Anyway, once I was in a 1A - booked as such, but called a few days before the cruise, well after carnival.com said nothing was available and was able to upgrade to a 4a for what I thought was a very reasonable price.

If nothing else, you can pull the mattresses off of the beds and camp out on the floor...
Old April 16th, 2011, 07:58 AM
Familiar Face

Zydeco, I haven't spoken to a room steward yet. Beleive me I will, I said the Customer Service Booking Supervisor said because of the cabin configuration that a roll away won't fit in the cabin. I plan to try everything once I get onboard. The thing that seems to be of the least interest to Carnival is that their website gave the option of what guarantee, it had 2 circles to click. It did not just state inside guarantee! The first stated 4A guarantee or 1A guarantee upper/lower. This was also using the Residential rates that were offered. I have the printout of my reservation stating a 4A guarantee was selected.

Old April 16th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Administrator
Admiral

It's the risk of the guarantee. Once the booking is completed it really makes no difference if the booking numbers are one number or one hundred numbers different. Guarantees go into the big Inventory Management Program and cabin numbers are assigned.

Being VIP doesn't make any difference in the upgrade or assignment. I personally believe, with no scientific evidence just my own observations, is that upgrades are given to new cruisers over long time cruisers. You have already cruised with them 10 times or more so you're hooked and reeled in. A new cruiser has already been hooked but the upgrade can finish the job and reel them in.

I hope you can upgrade to a larger cabin but even if you can't I hope you still have a wonderful cruise.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 16th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Familiar Face

That could be true Mike because on our 3rd cruise we actually got an inside to an oceanview upgrade, but after sleeping on this last night I told my wife (whose the most upset) that we will make the best of it. We won't slow down, this will be our 6th Carnival cruise since March 2010 and we have 2 booked for October this year. Don't think I'll ever book a guarantee again though. Maybe we will both get a better nights sleep, cause we always both complain about the other snoring. Rick

Old April 16th, 2011, 09:27 AM
Captain

On our very first cruise we had bunk beds-and knew we had bunks when we booked! It was a 2 week cruise over Xmas and New Years on a rust bucket that has since sunk but you know it was one of the best times we ever had. We had nothing to compare it with so we thought everything was wonderful. I had the top bunk because I didn't have to get up at night (times have changed!) and we have some great pics of me getting up there

Go with an open mind-it will be another great adventure at sea-and don't forget the pictures!
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old April 16th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalexie View Post
I said the Customer Service Booking Supervisor said because of the cabin configuration that a roll away won't fit in the cabin.
Well, I know thats not true, but sounds like a good excuse. Since Carnival started their upsell dept, they have been downright stingy with upgrades with gtys ... just my opinion.

RCL has given me two nice upgrades with gtys, but not Carnival who I have more cruises with. My last IS gty with Carnival, was a quad, and I cruised solo (inside bottom deck quad). Quads on Fantasy class have the wooden supports on the walls slanting down so its very hard to sit up in bed and read. I would have gladly traded with you.
Old April 16th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Familiar Face

jacdenv24, thanks for the vote of confidence. That's part of the problem right now with us, both have to get up throughout the night for restroom use. Wife says she'll get on the top bunk but I'm afraid she'll be falling on me everytime. I told her we'll take the mattress off the top bunk and throw it on the floor that way it will be easier to get to the restroom. Believe me it won't hamper our fun, we make the best of the situation. We are only in the cabin to do all the S's. I'll just let all of you figure out what the S's stand for. This thread could get more interesting now.

Old April 19th, 2011, 09:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

Things like this is why i have finally made me always book the exact room of my choice. Not getting what you want will put a damper on things before you get there. I have booked guarantees 2x and both times i winded up in a bunk room on Riveria deck. Those rooms are not that bad..just a tight fit for 2 at times. If i cruise alone i would take one..but not with others with me. I have never gotten upgraded in the many cruises i have been on and i am several cruises past platinum also. Not sure if it is luck of the draw or they are trying to reel the new people in upfront. In the end..all cruises are fun and what you make of it though!
Carnival Celebration 03/06
Carnival Fantasy 12/06
Carnival Fantasy 04/07
Carnival Glory 10/07
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2008
Carnival Fascination Oct 2008
Carnival Holiday April 2009
Carnival Dream Dec 2009
Carnival Triumph Jan 2010
Carnival Dream May 2010
Carnival Elation Jan 2011
Carnival Triumph May 2011
Carnival Fascination Feb 2012
Carnival Conquest 12/09/12
Carnival Fascination 01/06/13
Old April 23rd, 2011, 09:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

If you would read Carnival's Platinum perks list, you would see that there is no cabin choice or consideration listed as a perk. Booking a 4A guarantee means you will get a 4A cabin, or better. If you insist on a better cabin than a 4A, book it at the start!

On board, you WILL NOT get moved to a better cabin. You will not even be able to buy an upgraded cabin. So if you want something else than what you have, buy it now!
Old April 23rd, 2011, 11:07 PM
Familiar Face

OK, I'm back from the Elation and here is what happened. First off thanks for all the replies, examples, and explanations of what I should have done. To start we had a great time on the Elation. First and foremost, went straight to cabin before the 1:30 cabin ready time to speak directly to cabin steward. He refused to place a roll away next to the floor bed stating that on that ship it was against policy due to the size and position of the cabin. It was very small and length ways with the ship, I then went directly to the Guest services desk to offically make a plea for a different cabin and was told the ship was completely full and there was no other cabins available. If one did become available after everyone checked in it would be offered to us. At 5:45 that evening we received a call from the guest relations desk stating that a 4A cabin had become available and if we wanted we could change cabins. They didn't have to ask again. We changed cabins and everything from then on went well. Now as I stated before and I wish someone would try this so they can see what I'm talking about. Go to the Carnival Home Page. On the left use the drop down boxes and only choose May 2011 for the date and Mobile, AL for the departure port then click search. This will list all cruises for May 2011 from Mobile. On the left hand side of the page click past guest, and choose the state of Louisiana as your home state, then scroll down to May 7th cruise. Choose that cruise, click on Interior cabin. choose resident rates and click continue. There you will see what I'm talking about. It doesn't give any choices as to your inside type of cabin as the Fun Fares rates do. All it says is you have chosen resident rates, and there is a chance you may have an obstructed view. Which is totally confusing because that has nothong to do with an inside cabin. If you click continue at that point, all it ask for is your guest information. Again we had a great cruise and we're already booked for our next, but did not use the website and already have chosen a cabin.... Rick

Old April 24th, 2011, 08:43 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Glad to hear you were able to move to another cabin, how was that one?

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 24th, 2011, 08:59 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Thanks for the update--glad it worked out for you.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old April 24th, 2011, 09:20 AM
Familiar Face

Thanks Donna & Snoozeman, it worked out well after the cabin switch. The guest relations desk personel was some of the best we've had to deal with. Thanks to them in their efforts to accomodate us the entire cruise. Sorry that the people of Mobile are losing their only cruise ship, but this ship is coming to New Orleans later this year and that will be about a 2 hour shorter drive for me. We are only about an hour from New Orleans and have family near by that can save us the parking fees by dropping us off and keeping our vehicle then picking us us after. Works out great. Rick