Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 17th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy
Default flying in day of cuuise - worried

we are thinking of booking the dream mid jan. Normally we would fly in the day before but due to money and work schedules. we will probably have to fly in the same day we leave. leaving at 6:30am first flight arriving in fort lauderdale at 12:45 pm with one stop in memphis. should i be real worried about layovers and weather the day we go? i sure dont want to miss the ship!! also how far is fort lauderdale airport from the dream?
Old April 17th, 2011, 04:44 PM
Captain

I think you got a problem, because Orlando is the closest airport to Port Canaveral ... Ft. Lauderdale is about 3 - 4 hours away, depending on traffic and how long it takes you to get the rental car.

I thought of flying in the morning of....very very early, but changed to flying in the night before, after worrying about all the things that could go wrong on my flight.

You still have about an hour to get to the port from orlando. Some say if the toll road is fixed by then, they can do the drive in 45 minutes... I didnt take the toll road, and it took me over an hour.
Old April 17th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

It is alway concerning fying in on the day of the cruise.. the good thing is the early flight out.

The Memphis leg will probably be the pepto bismal leg...hoping your connecting plane gets in from wherever with no issues, unless you stay on the same plane, then fly out.

Best news of all, is the closeness of the FLL airport and the port..no worries there....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 17th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Best news of all, is the closeness of the FLL airport and the port..no worries there....
Maybe Im misreading something. The OP said Dream, going out of Port Canaval.

OP I just looked it up and Dream shows departing at 4 pm, so they ask you to be onboard 90 minutes ahead of time. 60 minutes they lock the door, at 3 pm.

It was more than 180 miles there when I drove from Boca ... not close to me.

Anyway .. I came back to say the ship leaves at 4 pm ...some ships dont leave until 5 pm ...so you wouldnt even have that cushion.
Old April 17th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Are you sure it's the Dream or is another ship. The Dream is sailing out of Port Canaveral and the nearest airport is Orlando.

If you must, and I mean must, fly out on the same day then make sure you have Travel Insurance that covers missing the cruise and travel delay.

Cruise air sends thousands of people in the same day and the VAST majority of them make it so the odds are in your favor. Just leave at least three hours from touchdown to final boarding.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 17th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Admiral

Actually I should have mentioned I thought the ship name might be incorrect, as the port/airport mentioned seemed to be pertinent. Reading your post confused me even more, easy to do... so I based my answer that way. OY

Cheryl..com'on back

Old April 17th, 2011, 05:16 PM
Admiral

Default airport closest to port caneveral

Ok Im confused--- leaving on the dream out of port canaveral-- what airport do I fly into?
Old April 17th, 2011, 05:17 PM
Admiral

Orlando!!

Old April 17th, 2011, 05:20 PM
Captain

And Orlando is in the middle of the state, not close to the port. Many people rent a car to get them to the port, as shuttles can be a bit pricey, but I doubt you have time flying in the day of to rent a car and return it.
Old April 17th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Admiral

Old April 17th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I would advise if you fly into Orlando I would use the cruise line air.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

Old April 17th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Admiral

dang!! guess i better make time to go in day before. Do they have any hotel shuttles close to port? from airport to hotel then hotel to cruise the next day? Im so confused on the ports now as I thought all ships went out of one port in florida.....sighhhhhhh
Old April 17th, 2011, 06:08 PM
Captain

Carnival goes out of Jacksonville, Port Canaveral, Tampa, Miami and Ft. Lauderdale.

There are no hotels that have shuttles to the airport in Orlando from Port Canaveral. Its too far.

Radisson and Country Inn and Suites both will shuttle you to the port for free, but its only $4 pp to the port from hotels in the area, $5 pp from Cocoa Beach. I would look at hotwire for a deal, as there is a local shuttle to the port, so thats not a big deal once you get to the coast.
Old April 17th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylroy View Post
we are thinking of booking the dream mid jan. Normally we would fly in the day before but due to money and work schedules. we will probably have to fly in the same day we leave. leaving at 6:30am first flight arriving in fort lauderdale at 12:45 pm with one stop in memphis. should i be real worried about layovers and weather the day we go? i sure dont want to miss the ship!! also how far is fort lauderdale airport from the dream?
Good thing you have till Jan. to sort this out. Plan on a 1 hour drive from Orlando, find 528 and it's straight to the port. You can get on the ship by 11:30, but not your cabin. Dream is at 1st dock, they have a system to get people on board without much wait, considering the volume of passengers. The ship is new and huge, you'll want all the time you can to learn where you are and going. I don't know of shuttles etc. as I'm about 1 hour away and can drive there.
Old April 18th, 2011, 01:03 AM
First Mate

Default Forecast

January to me spells `Weather`
This and the airline dependency can effect you though the cruiseline airline someone mentions might solve that .
You have almost ten months to work out a change in your schedules, can you not do a favour for someone or promise them a bottle of hootch on the way back.
You are an experienced cruiser so you know your comfort level.
Good luck...
Web site: http://robbarcruises.wordpress.com/
Old April 18th, 2011, 01:40 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
I would advise if you fly into Orlando I would use the cruise line air.

Take care,
Mike
My brain must not have been fully engaged. I meant to say: "Use the Cruise Line Transfer."

I believe the last one from MCO is around 1:00 p.m.

Take care,
Mike

Old April 18th, 2011, 03:52 AM
Familiar Face

The flight to our cruise in November was badly delayed in Memphis; many passengers on the flight were supposed to cruise that afternoon and did not make it (we were leaving next day). Not a pretty sight with many upset passengers trying to make last minute arrangements to no avail.

That said, I did fly to Miami in 2004 and make the same day transfer but there were no hitches in plane travel and I was nevous the whole time.

Good advice above; if you do the same day transfer buy insurance!

Andy
Old April 18th, 2011, 07:54 PM
Admiral

OK OK - I'm straight now. Gonna book it - and fly in the day before. Hope to get an early flight and maybe hit the beach??????? Will see. Hope the Dream is worth it!!!!!!! Might post another thread. Thanks my friends for all the info and setting me straight!!! As I was typing yesterday, I was doing so with one hand - while holding my grandson sleeping in the other. So....sorry if was so confusing. You guys are great for giving advice! Thanks!!
Old April 18th, 2011, 11:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

If you are flying in the day of the cruise why not use Carnival shuttle service to the port? It is not a long stretch from the airport to the port anyway. Less than an hour. I am not sure of the price on that. There will be people from Carnival there to meet the planes and direct you to the transportation.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old April 19th, 2011, 06:26 PM
Admiral

January...flying through Memphis...a day before is a must.

I think you made a wise decision to go in a day ahead.

This year (mid January) we got off the Elation only to drive home to MEMPHIS in 6" of ice and snow. A 4 lane road was down to one lane in each direction. It was awful driving and Memphis is not prepared for this kind of weather..so I can only imagine the havoc at the airport.

There are several shuttle services available from Orlando to PC. Lots of folks use them.... we have used Cocoa Beach Shuttle with excellent results.

Also lots of folks rent cars as well. Port Canaveral is use to people renting them one way and dropping them off. Then renting them again to go back to the airport.

The rental companies drop you off at the port and pick you up to rent the car to go back to Orlando.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old April 19th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Admiral

I know you've seen this posted before, but on our last cruise (when we did fly in a day early) my DH's luggage didn't show up at the hotel until after 8 PM, the night before the cruise :eek: ! If we hadn't flown in the day before, he would have been without clothes until the luggage could catch up with us (if it ever did)!

I think you made a good choice to fly in a day early for many reasons!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old April 19th, 2011, 08:56 PM
Admiral

yes I know - going in the day before and as of TODAY - we are BOOKED on the Dream Jan 14th! I agree flying in the day before is a must now - especially in January. Do you guys think its to early to book the flight? I see lots of flights with '2 seats left' thing - and we want to fly out of a certain airport using amerian express points. I guess booking now doesn't make a difference now that the cruise is booked and on the early saver fee. Now - question is ....drum roll..... Delta or Continental? Maybe I should see where the connection is - Memphis or Texas. Texas would be a better option for connection in Jan. Your opinions please......... I so value them!! Thanks!!:-D
Old April 21st, 2011, 04:23 AM
First Mate

I would try to book any airlines yesterday.

The way fuel prices are going, in a month, your price could be through the roof for the same flight.

Bill
Old April 21st, 2011, 05:26 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by bguppies View Post
I would try to book any airlines yesterday.

The way fuel prices are going, in a month, your price could be through the roof for the same flight.

Bill
So so true!! Its booked!! thanks!
Old April 21st, 2011, 10:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Cheryroy You will love the Dream, you answered so many of my questions when I started cruise years ago. Whats it like being Plantium?? Did you ever go on any other cruise line?? Your a grandma now, how cool is that!! My DH and I were on the Miracle last Feb and loved her so much we are booked on her for Feb 2012. Daughter and I are booked on The Freedom over Halloween, our first cruise together!!! Have a great Easter!!! Lynn
[img]http://www.cruisemates.com/countdown.php?month=11&year=2011&day=30&hour=16:00[img]Carnaval Freedom
Old April 22nd, 2011, 06:59 PM
Admiral

Hi Lynn! I'm so glad I helped. I hadn't been on the boards in so long. sometimes, they are slow and sometimes they are non stop. You should be Platinium soon, huh? I have not tried another cruise line - mainly because I know what I'm getting with Carnival, and with the $$ you put out, I'm kinda scared to not enjoy the week (however I don't see how that is possible.). But, why mess with success?? Being platinium is really no biggie - HOWEVER, the MAIN thing that I personally take advantage of is the laundry service!!! I come home to clean clothes!! Send them out daily. It does make getting on the ship easier also - most of the time. Daughter and I (you will love sailing with just your daughter) are going on the Dream because - SHE is dying to go on the dream!! I booked a cove balcony so we hope to enjoy it. Gonna find out!!! We decided to fly in the day before and we will stay on International Drive in Orlando. She wasnts to go see Ripleys Believe it or Not - so we will fly in early, go to Ripleys and also to Wonderworld and by then it will be time for bed - then off to the Dream the next day. Its just soooooooooooooo expensive - all the transfers, etc etc etc. Isn't everything expensive? OMG - Gas is outrageous! I booked the flight also - already - so we better stay healthy and nothing go wrong! Yep, I do have insurance. OK - keep in touch and thanks board for all your wonderful advice!!!