Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 22nd, 2011, 08:10 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy
Default Carnival Dream

OK - booked on Carnival Dream Jan 2012. Tell me about the ship - good, bad - anything!
Old April 22nd, 2011, 08:15 PM
Admiral

Default Cloud 9 Spa - Thalassotherapy Pool

You have to pay for this?? How much? Its on the Dream.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 09:33 PM
Admiral

Dream is BIG! Great stabilization. Food.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 11:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

DH and I had a Cove on the Dream and I loved it. I loved the Dream, would like to go on her again some day, not crazy about cruising out of port canaveral. There is a really nice review on the boards at cruise critics a B2B review going on right now. Fun to read. Its on the reg boards not in the reviews. I loved the deck on the Dream that goes all around the ship outside, you will love it!!!
[img]http://www.cruisemates.com/countdown.php?month=11&year=2011&day=30&hour=16:00[img]Carnaval Freedom
Old April 23rd, 2011, 12:58 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylroy View Post
You have to pay unless you booked a Spa cabin. I think $35/day or they have a package for the length of the cruise.

Here are lots of pictures from our 28 days on Carnival Dream:

Old April 23rd, 2011, 01:57 AM
Welcome Newcomer

I can tell you when we are both cruising in Jan.. haha I'm so excited as well!!! we are doing the b2b jan 7-21 when do you go?
Old April 23rd, 2011, 10:19 AM
Admiral

The lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) and I just returned from an Eastern Itinerary, and even though we had 4200+ souls aboard,,,,we both LOVED the cruise, and the ship. I'd consider it a slightly larger, improved version of a "Conquest Class" vessel. For the entire cruise, we never felt any rocking, or movement at all! Yes, we did have relatively calm seas, but the ship is very well stabilized. Food was excellent, as well as service in the dining room. Entertainment was outstanding, with three new production shows. Some people were complaining about the young lady who sang in the atrium almost every night, but frankly, I thought she was very good! Lots and lots of loungers on multiple decks, so that if you don't have to be near the main pool, you'll have no problem finding an excellent lounger. Serenity area was nice too, but that did get crowded toward the end of the cruise, as more people found out about it. We got upgraded from our usual inside cabin, to a deluxe ocean view. It turned out to be an excellent cabin,,,oversized with two separate bathrooms, and a mini-tub.
Bottom line,,,,go aboard with a positive attitude,,,,do a bit of pre planning to avoid the big crowds going ashore just as soon as the ship is cleared,and waiting to come back at the last moment, and you're going to have a GREAT cruise!

"SKY"
Old April 23rd, 2011, 11:34 AM
Admiral

All the cruises I've been on, I have NEVER been upgraded to a wonderful cabin like that! Those people are so lucky and I wish I knew how they did it! I recently started with early savers and book a certain cabin. Perhaps thats why??
That really sucks about that spa pool you pay 35/day for! maybe I should have booked a spa cabin? I go to the gym every day to work out and hit the steam room (love steam room)! But I think it was way higher. Cant remember.
I'm sure we will love the Dream - not wild about flying, transfers, stress etc on that - but unless you go from a port close to you, thats the name of the game. I LOVE the eastern islands. Love the water - and am looking forward to it.
Getsy - we will be there with you. Can't afford btb - and work won't allow that much time off but will be there Jan 14-21! Cove balcony.
Old April 23rd, 2011, 12:24 PM
Captain

Quote:
$249 per couple for the week if you didnt book a spa cabin. Iv heard two different prices on individual prices. $149 and $199 (from a FCC rep). If you want this, it may pay to book a inside spa cabin?

The day you board, there is some kind of brunch with a free mimosa near where the hot tubs are that stick out. They added this to relieve the crowding the first lunch at the buffet. I think you still get a free drink last I heard.

If you book the steakhouse the first night you get a free bottle of wine.
Old April 23rd, 2011, 12:27 PM
Admiral

Did you do the pool? Is it worth it? I do NOT want an inside cabin (spoiled) to balcony. Not worried about steak house. I had gastric bypsss..and not worth the $$ for the little I eat. :-)..Thanks for the advice..but is is worth it? Can't find much online.
Old April 23rd, 2011, 01:36 PM
First Mate

Wife and I cruised Carnival Dream last Oct (2010). My wife is not a spa person but we did sign her up for the spa package. I think it was $139 for the week. She absolutely loved it. Between steam rooms, and the Thalassotherapy Pool she was in heaven. Every day she would disappear and come back throughly relaxed. I would recommend it to anyone.
Old April 23rd, 2011, 07:24 PM
Admiral

Quote:
All the cruises I've been on, I have NEVER been upgraded to a wonderful cabin like that! Those people are so lucky and I wish I knew how they did it! I recently started with early savers and book a certain cabin. Perhaps thats why??
We booked this cruise "Military" rate, and I noticed that the price of the inside was a bit less than even the military rate I'd paid. I knew they probably wouldn't offer an OBC, (they certainly didn't have to) but I thought I'd bounce it off my EXCELLENT travel agent anyway. She called Carnival, and they agreed that since I'd booked military, and since the current rate was indeed considerably less, that they'd give me the upgrade to cat 6L instead. The fact that we're Milestone may have worked into their decision as well. We seem to get upgraded on the GREAT majority of our cruises. Usually just raised up a few decks, but we have, more than once, been assigned a balcony, when we booked, and paid for an inside.

"SKY"
Old April 23rd, 2011, 07:32 PM
Admiral

if you have back problems, the thalossopy pool is wonderful..just check with your Doctor before you decide
Old April 23rd, 2011, 11:51 PM
Captain

Lightbulb

:o
Old April 24th, 2011, 08:39 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Wow Ken, What a fantastic upgrade that is. As you know I am planning on September 2012. Being a single I am getting stuck paying nearly $1000 for a 1A. I have had upgrades in the past but never anything huge. Makes me soooooooo darn mad.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old April 24th, 2011, 09:11 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruznut2 View Post
Wow Ken, What a fantastic upgrade that is. As you know I am planning on September 2012. Being a single I am getting stuck paying nearly $1000 for a 1A. I have had upgrades in the past but never anything huge. Makes me soooooooo darn mad.

Laura
Hang in there Laura. The upgrades will happen. I agree that as a single, you get the "short end of the stick" to start with. It seems that the least they could do is give you an upgrade when the opportunity comes along. I'll have to talk to 'em about that!

"SKY"
Old April 24th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Put in a few good words for me! I hang in there because I really love Carnival. I was asked to join a group on Princess recently. I would love to do so. I called for a quote. That was nearly $2000 OUCH! At those rates I will never be able to sail any other lines.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old April 24th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Cruise Maniac

I LOVE the Dream. Been on the ship twice and cant wait to go back..only thing i dont like about it is that is in Port Canaveral and that makes it almost 11 hour drive for us. We don't fly because the amt of luggage we carry with us and i am petrified they will lose our luggage also. The comedy shows are wonderful, the shows were great as well as the crew both times I was onboard. I had a Cove balcony once and will definately want one of those the next cruise. Loved being that close to the water. The other cruise i stayed on Lido deck and that was very nice also as that is a deck we spend a LOT of time on. It's hard to go back to a smaller ship after being on Dream is the only real disadvantage I noticed!
Carnival Celebration 03/06
Carnival Fantasy 12/06
Carnival Fantasy 04/07
Carnival Glory 10/07
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2008
Carnival Fascination Oct 2008
Carnival Holiday April 2009
Carnival Dream Dec 2009
Carnival Triumph Jan 2010
Carnival Dream May 2010
Carnival Elation Jan 2011
Carnival Triumph May 2011
Carnival Fascination Feb 2012
Carnival Conquest 12/09/12
Carnival Fascination 01/06/13
Old April 24th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Captain

Quote:
Did you do the pool? Is it worth it? I do NOT want an inside cabin (spoiled) to balcony. Not worried about steak house. I had gastric bypsss..and not worth the $$ for the little I eat. :-)..Thanks for the advice..but is is worth it? Can't find much online.
I just meant in general that the spa cabins might be worth it if you were interested in the pay spa privileges. I didnt mean to insult you about the inside, just thought for some reason you were looking at them. There are spa balconys as well.
Old April 25th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

The Dream sounds like a dream cruise. We did book a suite B2B this coming Oct for our ann. but wife now has another job and cannot take off two weeks B3B so we cancelled one of the weeks and booked an Alaska Cruise this July. I think the Dream will be the largest ship we have sailed. Excited about it but was concerned about the number of guest but after reading this thread, don't seem to be a problem.

Just got to figure out if we will take the red eye from San Diego to Fla the day of the cruise or fly in a day early. My wife wants to take the red eye to avoid going to hotel and unpack and pack again. The flight we are looking at, I think it get into Orlando at about 7:30AM. I think someone said on another thread that it is about a 45min. ride to the terminal via a shuttle bus. Will have to check that out. So with that being said, we should have no problem making it in time.
Nov.2005 CCL - Spirit
Aug.2007 PCL - Crown Princess
Feb.2008 CCL - Spirit
Oct.2009 CCL - Elation
Jan.2010 CCL - Splender
Feb.2011 CCL - Spirit (Cabo)
Jul. 2011 CCL -Spirit (Alaska)
Oct.2011 CCL- Dream-(W.Caribbean)
Feb.2012 CCL - Spirit ( Cabo)
Dec. 2012 CCL- Splendor ( Cabo)
Old April 25th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowers View Post
I just meant in general that the spa cabins might be worth it if you were interested in the pay spa privileges. I didnt mean to insult you about the inside, just thought for some reason you were looking at them. There are spa balconys as well.

OMG - I didn't take that as an insult my friend!!!!
Old April 25th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Admiral

Well, I thought the same thing until years ago, I was stuck at an airport in Jan for 6 hrs. So.....not chancing it this time - and am flying in ahead of time. Already have hotel AND airfare booked. We won't unpack for sure - we just sleep in t shirt - or put pj on top. No biggie. Gonna hit Orlando for the day and go to a few things (ripleys, wonderworld and dinner). Then head over to the ship the next a.m. But, remember this is in Jan (snow in other areas). Flying in Oct you should be ok. I"m just a chicken
Old April 25th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Already have hotel AND airfare booked
Where are you staying and how far is it from the airport and how far from the hotel to the ship terminal?

THANKS
Nov.2005 CCL - Spirit
Aug.2007 PCL - Crown Princess
Feb.2008 CCL - Spirit
Oct.2009 CCL - Elation
Jan.2010 CCL - Splender
Feb.2011 CCL - Spirit (Cabo)
Jul. 2011 CCL -Spirit (Alaska)
Oct.2011 CCL- Dream-(W.Caribbean)
Feb.2012 CCL - Spirit ( Cabo)
Dec. 2012 CCL- Splendor ( Cabo)
Old May 5th, 2011, 12:14 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Wow-thanks for the tip re. the steakhouse, and I am excited to get to our cove balconies on Dream for June 11th!!
Old May 5th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Admiral

We are flying in the day before - taking Mears transportation to the Rosin at Point Orlando and gonna chill there for the day (hitting ripleys believe it or not and Wonderworld and the dinner show). The next a.m. we will take Mears back to the airport (60.00 RT for 2 pp) which is about 13 miles I think. From there, we will take a carnival transfer to the ship - My sister just flew on business/pleasure 6 flights in 5 days. EVERY flight was delayed - 45 min to 2 hrs! Yesterday she text me when she landed in Houston at 6:17 and told us her connecting flight left at 5:50. Yikes! More the reason I'm glad I'm flying in the day ahead! When are you going??
Old May 5th, 2011, 08:49 PM
Admiral

The steakhouse on the ships are AWESOME!!! Well worth the 30.00! Don't eat all day tho!! Go hungry! Its a 4 star service!
Old May 30th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I am going on the Dream Oct.7th 2012 I have booked a balcony on the lido deck there is 4 adults how crowded will that be. Me and grown grandchildren 18 is youngest.
Any thing you can tell me would be very helpfull I have been on 6 cruises but the last one was 12 years ago. also I will be 63 when we go will I be the oldest on the ship.
Old May 30th, 2012, 03:21 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo2410 View Post
I am going on the Dream Oct.7th 2012 I have booked a balcony on the lido deck there is 4 adults how crowded will that be. Me and grown grandchildren 18 is youngest.
Any thing you can tell me would be very helpfull I have been on 6 cruises but the last one was 12 years ago. also I will be 63 when we go will I be the oldest on the ship.
I sure hope you meant the 6th of Oct and not the 7th We will be on the same cruise but it leaves on Sat from Port Canaveral not Sunday.

And since I turned 70 on May 16th you will definitely not be the oldest on the ship.
Old May 30th, 2012, 04:22 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I guess I did mess up I am on the dream leaving the same port Oct.13th 2012, and I am booked on Lido deck, Do you have any advice for me this is my first cruise in 12 years, I heard they are a lot different now. thanks
Old June 2nd, 2012, 07:20 PM
Familiar Face

Did you get the upgrade when you booked or when you checked in on the day of your cruise?