Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 30th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy
Default St Thomas, Marteen, Nassau

Any ideas on excursions that are worth it for this area? Not into 'sightseeing, shopping or dolphins.
Old April 30th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Admiral

How do you like the water - great beaches in St. Thomas & St. Martin. Many people will take a ferry from St. T to St. Johns for the snorkeling.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old April 30th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Couldn't agree more, get over to St. Johns....If not, they have the America's cup regatta in St. Maarten that is great fun too....

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 1st, 2011, 12:22 AM
Admiral

You do st johns on your own or with carnival? Is it safe? Just catch a taxi and say- bring be to st John beach? I love the beach and snorkelling.
Old May 1st, 2011, 04:44 AM
Admiral

First you take a taxi to Red Hook, the ferry and then once at St. John another taxi to a beach. There is a ferry schedule, I think its once an hour, same with the way back. So, you need to allow plent of travel time, but well worth it IMHO.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 1st, 2011, 04:53 PM
Admiral

sounds likea long and expensive..
Old May 1st, 2011, 05:46 PM
Familiar Face

First of all St. Johns is the place to go if you go to St. Thomas after you get the beaches of St. Thomas out of your system. So the next quesion is how do you get to Red Hook, There is a ferry that leaves from the downtown pier. It was operating about twice a day. If you can find out when it operates and it matches your schedule utilize it. When you come back from St. Johns it is the most direct and cheapest form of transport. Watch your time since you have to get back before ship departure and the ferry will meet these objectives.
This was proven to me after riding the ferry back. I returned to the cruise ship after shopping in town I rode the dolla taxi to the port. My friends who had traveled with me on the ferry were sitting on the porch of bar enjoying a beer. In other words there was plenty of time to get to ship.

If don't take the cruise from St. Johns to St. Thomas. You will have to get the local ferry over to Red Hook and get a taxi back to the port. You are at the mercy of the taxi driver on this run which may cost you as little as $20 for the ride to
Red Hook, but a lot more for a speedy ride to the port.

Also when you buy a ferry ticket you don't necessarily want to buy a round trip one. You may want to buy one from Red Hook to St. Johns and then buy another from St. Johns to St. Thomas.
Old May 1st, 2011, 07:02 PM
Admiral

Thanks so much for taking the time to explain! I really appreciate it! I havn't been to the beaches of St. thomas however. I have done the catamarian (sp?) excursion however. :-)
Old May 1st, 2011, 07:13 PM
Admiral

There is always Meagans Bay in St. Thomas if you want a nice beach, but no snorkeling there. Nice calm water and white sand beach. A short taxi ride from the pier, especially if you have not been there before.. You can also shop downtown or just shop at the pier, they have the same shops as downtown, but right next to the pier.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 3rd, 2011, 12:47 PM
Familiar Face

Megan is great and one of the most beautiful beach in the world. You have to get there via taxi because it is on other side of island. Brewers beach by the airport is on the same side of island as the ship docks but lacks facilities. It like most beaches on St. Thomas is beautiful and very well kept.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 01:47 PM
Admiral

Megan's is beautiful - I think the taxi was about $12/pp each way plus and admission fee, but I may be wrong there - 2008 was the last time we were there

Carnival does have a snorkeling excursion to Trunk Bay on St. John (I think) if you are more comfortable doing cruise line excursions. If you have not done so already, create an account on the Carnival website, enter your booking number and you can see information on all the excursions on your cruise. You can even book them if you are concerned about something you really want to do filling up.

Carnival encourages the pre-booking so they can do capacity planning. Of course you have to pay at the time of booking as well so they get a couple of bucks early.

Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Old May 3rd, 2011, 01:54 PM
Admiral

Also, be aware that many beaches on the French side of St. Martin may be clothing optional.

Old June 3rd, 2011, 09:13 PM
Welcome Newcomer

There are plenty of great beaches in St. Maarten. Mullet Bay is fantastic if you are there during the week because the beach isn't crowded at all and the water is just unbelievable. You can order ribs etc... on the beach too.

Another great beach is Tintamarre island, a small island just off St. Maarten on the French side. That place is just amazing too. You will have to use an excursion to get there... Last time I was in St. Maarten, we used the Golden Eagle Catamaran tour to get to Tintamarre. The tour was great! It lasted four hours and we were back on island for the other half of the day.

A good website to get info on the beaches on the island and the various tours is www.sxmdeals.com.

Bon voyage!
Old June 4th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Admiral

Wahoo...maybe I'll see something of interest I havn't seen in awhile! tee hee
Old October 19th, 2011, 05:50 AM
Welcome Newcomer

thanks for post
Old October 22nd, 2011, 02:38 PM
Welcome Newcomer

thanks for post