Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 1st, 2011, 06:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Trip is on the Magic!!

Hi Everyone from Beautiful Venice, where the weather was so beautiful today for the christening. We arrived in Venice flying Iberia Airlines,and who knew you could fly across the ocean laying down. Well I did, in a hard shell capsule like seat, that with the touch of a button, I could lay down,and on my side too! A change of planes in Madrid, which is a vey unusual airport, we flew into Venice, with a beautiful view of the Magic, waiting for us.

We did not have a hotel in Venice, but in Mestrie, where all the press bunch were booked...We came in early afternoon, and being so tired,and with a press dinner booked, we would not have had time go into Venice The dinner was a seafood bonanza, in a family style restaurant..If you loved seafood, you were in heaven...the man across from me had little to eat, but, he sure loved the desert!

Emabarkation was a breeze,and before you know it, it was time for the Christening and GodMother ceremony. The GodMother is a former St. Jude cancer patient, Lindsey Wilkerson, and what a perfect spokesman for both Carnival and St Jude. Then Lindsey, John Heald and The Captain, turned the "key" to send the champagne bottle winging its way to the hull, to smash to smithereens...A wild cheer and we were on our feet..It was quite the ceremony.

The sail out of Venice, is having th4e travel channel come to life. Up close and personal is a very good thing..

I took a ton of pictures was able to upload only one to show you,and IE, then said..Is that you Trip? You are having problems!! We won't let you upload any more right now..surprise!!! I am sooo mad...

I am going to speak to the tech man tomorrow, it'a after midnight,and I just wanted to tell you I arrived...We had a busy day of publicty events, and I need to go to bed..but get ready you Magician out there...you are gonna love her!

Here was my test photo:

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Kuki; July 6th, 2011 at 10:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old May 1st, 2011, 06:31 PM
Admiral

Trip, I know you are in for a wonderful time! Hopefully you will be able to load some more pics, soon! We have to wait until she sails out of Galveston before I get to step foot on her.

Soak it up!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old May 1st, 2011, 06:56 PM
Admiral

Glad you are on board. Thanks for checking in. Get some sleep and enjoy tomorrow!
Old May 1st, 2011, 07:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Yea Trip,
I was wondering where you were today, so glad to hear you are onboard, YES. hopefully you can post some more magical pics... Get some rest, sounds like you have a few busy days..

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 1st, 2011, 07:59 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Nice to hear that you are having a good time. Relax and enjoy!! Looking forward to hearing more soon.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old May 1st, 2011, 08:37 PM
Admiral

I hope you can get your "photo thingy" figured out! I've already started a "Trip does Carnival Magic" file :-D ! Waiting for more! I watched all of the "stuff" John H. and other Carnival "beards" posted!

Just FYI, the Hallmark channel had a whole day of "I Love Lucy" today !

Have a wonderful time!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old May 1st, 2011, 08:45 PM
Admiral

Looking forward to hearing all about your trip,Trip.
Old May 1st, 2011, 09:02 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I'm so glad you made and started posting. Thanks linda! Get some sleep.
Old May 1st, 2011, 11:22 PM
Admiral

Hi Trip!!!! Glad your having fun, looking foward to hearing all about it!

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old May 2nd, 2011, 12:46 PM
Admiral

Default Gerry Cahill flies in:)

The christening and moving GodMother ceremony, which took place yesterday, had Gerry Cahill, surprising the crowd, by entering the stage, via a magicians trick, in a RED helicopter It brought the house!!

Photo credit, Andy Newman/Carnival

Old May 2nd, 2011, 03:51 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I just read an article in a London paper that notes that NO press members on the ship are reporting back yet. I am guessing they are keeping them very busy.

Come on Linda - we are waiting for a new post :-D

I am sure she is just getting to bed tonight - maybe we will have one in the morning. I hope so, I want to know how she is doing.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 06:14 PM
Administrator
Admiral

UPDATE!!

I got an email from Linda that says the ship has been having Internet connection problems - which is why so few people have reported from the ship at all.

It has something to do with the ship's computers needing an update or something - not sure.

Linda assures me she has TWO articles written. Oh well, it's a 10-day cruise, I guess we'll just have to let her enjoy it. ;-)
Old May 2nd, 2011, 07:29 PM
Admiral

I guess we'll get to enjoy her cruise after she gets back. ;-)
Old May 2nd, 2011, 07:40 PM
Admiral

Hi Everyone,
I have been trying to post articles all day..Its' 1:45 am,and I have now lost 4 articles.....I have been trying all day, and it's so frustrating...If you see this, maybe my luck has changed,and I am going to rewrite my last article...I so apologize

Old May 2nd, 2011, 07:46 PM
Admiral

(((((((((((((((((((((((((Trip))))))))))))))))))))) ))))))))

If you can see this reply, please don't stress out about this. We can hear all about it when you get back!
Old May 2nd, 2011, 07:51 PM
Admiral

Neat! WIWT !

Sea Princess 2014
Old May 2nd, 2011, 08:08 PM
Admiral

Trip, even JH is having problems . I hope things get fixed soon. Just one of the joy's of sailing on an inaugural cruise .

Sea Princess 2014
Old May 2nd, 2011, 10:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

It will get worked out. Looking forward to the reports.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 11:46 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default other trip report

found this trip report. scroll down toward the bottom for lots of pics of boarding and first day. No pics yet from today, though

Carnival Magic Inaugural Cruise May 1-11, 2011
Old May 3rd, 2011, 01:08 AM
First Mate

Trip sounds like you are having such a great time can't wait to see all of you pictures, and read your reports. Have fun.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 06:00 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Hi Everyone,
I have been trying to post articles all day..Its' 1:45 am,and I have now lost 4 articles.....I have been trying all day, and it's so frustrating...If you see this, maybe my luck has changed,and I am going to rewrite my last article...I so apologize
Hi Trip! (waving from the Pacific Ocean)

Do what I do.... write it in a word processor off line, then clip and paste it into a message board post. Takes less internet time, and doesn't get you timing out on the system.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old May 3rd, 2011, 09:36 AM
Admiral

Default Trip's Trip

Hi Kids!!!
I am on the ships computer,and someone in our group, an IT guy, is going to come to my aid in the cabin....I am so so sorry, for all this. I am scattered with days so I want to tell you about Croatia....we just got back onboard,and I will load the amazing shots . Even in the fog, Dubrovnik is gorgeous.

This country is just gorgeous...from the mts to the sea, amazing. We did the Jewish Heritage tour, We first took a drive to a very old cemetary, Old plots with amazing carvings....almost secreted away, but I saw a date of 1998 on one headstone.

We then went to Oldtown the walled part of the city...the sense of history is amazing,thick broad limestone, everywhere, gives you a sense of going back centuries.

The 2nd oldest synagogue is used rarely now, but the sense of all the prayers linger I swear..several old torahs were behind glass and the names of the dead from the war are a reminder to the approx 50 Jews living in the area, of how it once was.

We shopped around for a bit before the tour bus took us back to the ship.... in the pouring rain, the photog was still telling people to smile. Grr

Just a few facts, once you enter the walled city, there are no seats at all for resting...there are 3 was considered moderate..I struggled a bit, in places but did ok...back with more and pictures...I swear...I have to admit to sobbing a bit right now

Last edited by Trip; May 4th, 2011 at 06:25 AM.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 09:51 AM
Admiral

Default Eating our brains out...

Elaine went off to the gym, while I had a meeting[Monday] She arrived at 7:45 and it was not crowded..All the equiprment one would expect on a ship this size. The steam room, needs a $35.00 day pass to use. There is no private changing area, when you leave the gym to go into the sauna.Oy!

We decided to pass on the Red Frog, till they airlift the Red Frog beer in to Croatia today. They totally depleted the entire cruise stock in on night!! Honest!

We waited in very long lines for the Mongolian 3 sauces, black bean, Thai barbeque,and oh so hot shechwasn[sp] add to you mouth watering lunch...

I also tried the Caribbean side..spicy beef stew was delish, while the Jamaican pasties were dry as a bone.. No to worry mon, we left full!

You need to dine at the Steakhouse. For the small charge it is soooo worth it, you will kiss me...Many superb cuts are offered, some up to 18 oz! Chicken chilean sea bass, lamb, and, other choices make your taste buds tingle. Presentation is so creative, it only adds to the ambiance. My cheese cake, could have fed us all!

The company of my fellow journalists, was wonderful,liveeeeely conversation, with lots of laughter, I feel priveleged to have so many creative people around me......Paul..John Heald told me to send you his regards....

Old May 3rd, 2011, 10:31 AM
Admiral

I've lost 26 pounds since last year at this time .I am looking forward to my next cruise.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 01:44 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Thanks for the updates Linda...

That story about the Red Frog beer is hilarious (this is Carnival's first own brand of beer). I can't believe they used up the whole supply in one day. Now they know why Royal caribbean has had its own brand for years.

It is good to hear from you - I am not surprised that you are a little emotionally overwhlemed. It is such an amzing experience to see a new part of the world, especially as an adult, for the first time.

Traveling to new places is my favorite reason to cruise, and I am just very happy that you are getting this experience. Enjoy your cruise and just continue to give us short updates as you can. We certainly don't need you staying up till 2:00 a.m. and losing posts.

Hopefully, posting will get easier soon as you figure out a few tricks.

That was nice of John to say hi to me - tell him hi for me as well.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 02:18 PM
Admiral

That is indeed hilarious about the beer. Sounds like you are having a good time. Bring some of that cheesecake home to share!
Old May 3rd, 2011, 02:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

It sounds like you are having a great time. Have so many memories of Venice. Can't wait to read more of your travels.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old May 3rd, 2011, 08:34 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Hi Kids!!!
I am on the ships computer,and someone in our group, an IT guy, is going to come to my aid in the cabin....I am so so sorry, for all this. I am scattered with days so I want to tell you about Croatia....we just got back onboard,and I will load the amazing shots .

This country is just gorgeous...from the mts to the sea, amazing. We did the Jewish Heritage tour, We first took a drive to a very old cemetary, Old plots with amazing carvings....almost secreted away, but I saw a date of 1998 on one headstone.

We then went to Oldtown the walled part of the city...the sense of history is amazing,thick broad limestone, everywhere, gives you a sense of going back centuries.

The 2nd oldest synagogue is used rarely now, but the sense of all the prayers linger I swear..several old torahs were behind glass and the names of the dead from the war are a reminder to the approx 50 Jews living in the area, of how it once was.

We shopped around for a bit before the tour bus took us back to the ship.... in the pouring rain, the photog was still telling people to smile. Grr

Just a few facts, once you enter the walled city, there are no seats at all for resting...there are 3 was considered moderate..I struggled a bit, in places but did ok...back with more and pictures...I swear...I have to admit to sobbing a bit right now
Thanks for this information, Trip. I guess we'll book it and hope for the best! I can always sit on the ground as long as my sweet DH is there to help me up ! Would using a cane be helpful?

Sea Princess 2014

Last edited by Trip; May 4th, 2011 at 06:17 AM.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 09:32 PM
Admiral

Trip, sounds like a wonderful cruise! The first sailing will always have a few problems, but sounds like you are managing well. Looking forward to hearing more about the ship and the ports! Enjoy!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old May 4th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Admiral

Today is a day at sea, out last of the voyage. I woke up to, what to my ears sounded like a tornado...I have to remember, this is not a Caribbean cruise..No one was by the pool saving chairs this am for sure....The Fun Hub area was filled with people checking what they check,and it was busy all day.

Joe Farcus has painted this ship, with a lighter touch as his focus will be hi work on Costa in the future. Caribbean Green is the predominant color,and combined with light woods, this is the perfect ship for those warm waters.

The Cherry on the Top, is what you dreamt a candy shop would look like as a kid. Candies galore to buy by the pound, Confections to make your mouth drool, are yours for the asking. I saw some men who were buying flowers for their ladies,and it is just a fun place to pick up something special.

I saw a towel animal chasing down the girls on deck 5....some were thrilled, some not so much..it was fun to watch....

Tomorrow is Sicily,and I hope the weather is much better than in Croatia...Two days ago, I came down with a miserable head cold, and the rain was not my friend...so hoping for sunny skies tomorrow..tonight dinner with the press group in the Sothern Lights dining room...can't wait to see the menu Pardon the blur..put you get the picture

Last edited by Trip; May 4th, 2011 at 12:32 PM.