Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 3rd, 2011, 01:12 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Our First Cruise on the Carnival Liberty June 18-25

My fiancÚ and I will be sailing the Liberty for our Honeymoon. This will be our first cruise and we are really excited and nervous! The ports we're stopping at are Grand Cayman, Cozumel, and Ocho Rios, Jamaica! Anybody sailing this cruise or is there anyone who's sailed the Liberty before? Any advice you can offer first timers?
Sponsored Links
Old May 3rd, 2011, 12:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Mazatlan

I thought they took Mazatlan off as a port of call. Was looking into sailing the first part of 2012 and see that Mazatlan is back or never removed.
Nov.2005 CCL - Spirit
Aug.2007 PCL - Crown Princess
Feb.2008 CCL - Spirit
Oct.2009 CCL - Elation
Jan.2010 CCL - Splender
Feb.2011 CCL - Spirit (Cabo)
Jul. 2011 CCL -Spirit (Alaska)
Oct.2011 CCL- Dream-(W.Caribbean)
Feb.2012 CCL - Spirit ( Cabo)
Dec. 2012 CCL- Splendor ( Cabo)
Old May 3rd, 2011, 12:49 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaNyler View Post
My fiancÚ and I will be sailing the Liberty for our Honeymoon. This will be our first cruise and we are really excited and nervous! The ports we're stopping at are Grand Cayman, Cozumel, and Ocho Rios, Jamaica! Anybody sailing this cruise or is there anyone who's sailed the Liberty before? Any advice you can offer first timers?
My family (daughter, SIL, grandson, granddaughter and wife) will be on the Liberty just two weeks before you.

The best advice I can give is to take a positive attitude. Not everything will be perfect and slight problems can happen but just roll with it. I also advise you to get off in every port and at least see the islands.

Take a night to enjoy the steakhouse. I've never sailed Liberty before but the steakhouses on the other Carnival ships I have sailed have always been VERY GOOD and I am a bit of a "food snob".

I would also encourage you to take part in the activities. Even if you initially feel uncomfortable about joining in, it really adds to the cruise to participate or at least be an active spectator.

Bring about $50 in small bills for tipping of cab drivers, luggage handlers, and room service.

It will be fun cruising on a different Carnival ship and I'm getting excited and have been checking out information on Camp Carnival and what the ship has to offer. Our group are booked in adjoining balcony cabins and I am looking forward to see what this will be like with the ability to open the door between rooms and the balcony divider.

I have booked a private charter with Captain Crosby in Grand Cayman. My wife and I used him on our first cruise, eleven years ago, and he is still going. He provides a deep water snorkel, Stingray City Sandbar, cruise around the island, lunch and drinks. Definitely do Stingray City in Grand Cayman. It is a pretty interesting experience to interact with the stingrays.

In Cozumel we have decided to do Paradise Beach because it will be the only chance for the kids to have a "beach day". If you are snorkelers Cozumel is the place. Do a snorkeling excursion out to the Palancar or Columbia reefs. It is beautiful and well worth it.

I am still "up in the air" about Ocho Rios. I have no desire to go to Dunns River Falls again and my five year old grandson is too young for many of the tubing, zip lining and other types of activities. I have done the zip line and enjoyed it. My SIL and I also have went up to the bobsled run and it was a bit underwhelming, except for the chair lift ride up. It was a beautiful but not too exciting ride.

I will not be doing a "daily blog" from the ship on this cruise. I have been "informed", by my wife, that "This is a family cruise and not one where I am on the computer making postings." Even so, I'll be making a few during the week and doing a review when I get back. I'll try to be fast and hopefully it will help you before you go.

Take care and have a wonderful cruise. I'll try to make sure that the grandkids leave the ship semi-intact for you.

Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 3rd, 2011, 12:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

oops, I thought I started a new thread regarding Mazatlan. SORRY about that.
Nov.2005 CCL - Spirit
Aug.2007 PCL - Crown Princess
Feb.2008 CCL - Spirit
Oct.2009 CCL - Elation
Jan.2010 CCL - Splender
Feb.2011 CCL - Spirit (Cabo)
Jul. 2011 CCL -Spirit (Alaska)
Oct.2011 CCL- Dream-(W.Caribbean)
Feb.2012 CCL - Spirit ( Cabo)
Dec. 2012 CCL- Splendor ( Cabo)
Old May 3rd, 2011, 01:39 PM
Admiral

We loved the Liberty....I know you will have a blast!
Enjoy and relax.

Darlene
Destiny-4/9/2000-E. Caribbean
Valor-5/11/2008
Liberty-5/1/2010
Pride 4/21/2013
Pride 9/8/2013
Imagination 11/11/2013
Pride 12/8/2013

LOVE TO CRUISE
Old May 7th, 2011, 07:37 PM
Familiar Face

I was just on this cruise in Feb! It was fantastic! Todd is a great cruise director! We had a lot of fun. For excursions, we definitly recommend the swimming with the dolphins in Cozumel, and sting ray excursions in grand caymen! We did an excursion in Jamaica (all you can eat/drink beach trip), but weren't really fans of it.

Have a great time!!

Carnival Liberty, 1/28/11
RCCL 2003,2004
Old May 10th, 2011, 03:08 AM
Admiral

I loved the Liberty she is one of the prettiest ships Carnival has. Don't miss out on the Burrito bar in the buffet area well worth the wait, the best burrito I have ever had, not kidding! Also the sushi bar which is free is usually open at night around 5-6pm I think, that's great as well! The staff was wonderful I tipped my cabin steward and waiters extra at the end of the cruise for the excellent service! Post a review of your cruise in cruise reviews when you return!
Carnival Pride October 2006 (Mexican Rivera)
Carnival Legend 2007 (Western Caribbean)
Carnival Glory 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Liberty 2011 Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Spirit 2011 Western Caribbean
Carnival Miracle 2012 Southern Caribbean
Carnival Breeze 2013 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Valor 2014 Southern Caribbean