Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 4th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Familiar Face

Default Best things to do in San Juan?

Were very excited to cruise to San Juan but have no clue what to do there. Any recommendations on places, excursions, or food to eat while we're there? Thanks fellow cruisers!
Sponsored Links
Old May 4th, 2011, 11:23 AM
First Mate

Will let others comment on things to do however have been going to Old San Juan for over 40 years and the best for local food at reasonable price is La Bombonera 39 Sanfrancisco St.Established in 1902 and in 1965 employees became part owners and we have seen one waiter over 20 years.The bakery is to die for with my favorite coconut macaroon cookie.Easy to find right down from Burger King. Watch what locals are ordering and you will love it.
Old May 4th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Admiral

depends..which ship are you on and how long are you there? last October we were on the Carnival Liberty (jazz charter) got there at 5pm and sailed at 10 pm on a Monday night..not enough time to do anything major and most shops were closed..we got off, walk around the immediate area, reboarded and went to the spa...if you are there for a longer period of time, I'm sure others will give you suggestions

have a great cruise
Old May 4th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks for thoughts. We will check out the food you suggested..sounds amazing! We will be traveling on the liberty...and I'm not sure the time frame...9 to 6 I think..in June.
Old May 4th, 2011, 01:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

One of the highlights of Old San Juan is the old fort El Morro, well worth some time to get there. You can actually walk up there from the port, the views are amazing along with the history of the old fort. The sidewalks are narrow and cobblestone, but a nice walk. I never found any shopping there to be that good, but fun looking in the shop windows. I've also heard there is a trolley that will take you to the fort, there are actually two, but I enjoyed El Morro better. You will also get a good view of it sailing out of the port..

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 4th, 2011, 01:52 PM
Admiral

We have been to San Juan twice. the first time we took the rain forest excursion offered by the ship, it is a longer excursion so is best done with the ship. this last time we took the Bacardi distelliry tour with the ship. We were a bit dissappointed because the tour there is only of the museum, but in the gift shop they sell a special bottle (only sold there) that they will engrave for you, very nice and you do get 2 free drinks, very good.

We have enjoyed waking around Old San Juan and found a nice little shop with watches and should have bought hubby a new Casio since it was only $25 but did not.

Have not eaten there so can't help with that.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014