Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old May 5th, 2011, 11:29 PM
Junior Member
Welcome Newcomer
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1
Unhappy Triumph Review

This was but our 2nd cruise. Although as a whole we had a good time and the staff was very attentive and friendly. We were a bit disappointed with the activities. There was not very much to do or see. The shows were not in our opinon not as good as on the Conquest. On port days there were little to none activities for those who did not go ashore or did not spend the whole day ashore. My husband who is handicapped was well attended to but the ship being smaller there were some tight spaces. There was only one band that we enjoyed and they only played once. The Captains gathering was not the best drinks were not free and it was held in the hallway of the casino with little or not seating available; After waiting for more than 30 min. many left including us without even setting eye on the Captain and his officers. I do not recommend anyone to sail on a large ship and then try a smaller one this may be the reason for the disappointment. As for the Port of New Orleans it was very organized and very easy to get around much better than Galveston. Will consider New Orleans again but not on the Triumph once is enough.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old May 6th, 2011, 08:38 AM
Mike M's Avatar
Administrator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: You're Looking At Me
Posts: 23,787
Default

Katmarie,

Thanks for giving us your assessment of Triumph. I have also found that somewhat smaller ships can have a bit less space, especially for mobility challenged people. I personally like smaller ships. Actually much smaller than Triumph. They are usually not over crowded and can give a more intimate feel to the cruise.

I hope that you book your next cruise very soon and on a larger ship. Dream and Magic may be great choices.

Take care,
Mike
__________________
Cruisemates Community Leader/Moderator

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old May 7th, 2011, 12:15 AM
Senior Member
Cruise Maniac
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: TN
Posts: 232
Default

We are leaving in the am on our 2nd Triumph ship cruise. Our first one was little over a year ago and we were very pleased with the ship. I felt the last dinner show of the cruise was one of the best shows I had seen on Carnival..may have changed it by now...then it was a Mardi Gras type show. I will report back when our cruise ends and we return home on the 14th. Our only complaint was we were cruising in January and it was cold on the ship most of the cruise...no heat available for the cabin. Most likely i will never choose to cruise again in January.
__________________
Disney Wonder 04/02
Carnival Pride 12/02
Mariner of the Seas 03/04
Carnival Celebration 03/06
Carnival Fantasy 12/06
Carnival Fantasy 04/07
Carnival Glory 10/07
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2008
Carnival Fascination Oct 2008
Carnival Holiday April 2009
Carnival Dream Dec 2009
Carnival Triumph Jan 2010
Carnival Dream May 2010
Carnival Elation Jan 2011
Carnival Triumph May 2011
Carnival Fascination Feb 2012
Carnival Conquest 12/09/12
Carnival Fascination 01/06/13
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old May 8th, 2011, 10:32 AM
lhp lhp is offline
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Memphis area, TN
Posts: 1,706
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katmarie View Post
This was but our 2nd cruise. Although as a whole we had a good time and the staff was very attentive and friendly. We were a bit disappointed with the activities. There was not very much to do or see. The shows were not in our opinon not as good as on the Conquest. On port days there were little to none activities for those who did not go ashore or did not spend the whole day ashore. My husband who is handicapped was well attended to but the ship being smaller there were some tight spaces. There was only one band that we enjoyed and they only played once. The Captains gathering was not the best drinks were not free and it was held in the hallway of the casino with little or not seating available; After waiting for more than 30 min. many left including us without even setting eye on the Captain and his officers. I do not recommend anyone to sail on a large ship and then try a smaller one this may be the reason for the disappointment. As for the Port of New Orleans it was very organized and very easy to get around much better than Galveston. Will consider New Orleans again but not on the Triumph once is enough.
The Captain's Celebration changed almost a year ago.

And while free drinks are not available on that night....Carnival did not do away with that. Carnival simply MOVED the free drinks to the last night at a Fun Farewell party.

The officers and entertainment staff walk the Promenade for about an hour (during each dining session) and have introductions in the Atrium.

I prefer the new method because you can actually talk and visit with the Captain and Staff instead of a 2 second handshake.
__________________
COMPLETES THE FLEET

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old May 8th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Newport Oregon
Posts: 684
Smile

Just curious why is it so important to some people to meet or look at the captain?
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old May 8th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 937
Default

Triumph is barely smaller than Conquest ..its not a small ship by any means.

Carnival has cut the size of its Lido deck band, to one or two people. They added the comedy club instead of shows in the main lounge. I was on Conquest last Sept, and we only had two full shows ... what I would call shows. (love and marriage game to me doesnt take the place of say a big magic show with dancers).

Carnival has cut back ... dont expect more on Conquest ... its not there.

I got off Elation yesterday and folks were saying they decided cruising must not be for them. They were so bored, and there were no day time activities hardly. They still do some trivia and games, but not like they used to.

I miss having a show in the theater every night. Im one who will say it. I dont want a comedian in the back lounge, I want a show in the main theater.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old May 8th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 937
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail4cruising View Post
Our only complaint was we were cruising in January and it was cold on the ship most of the cruise...no heat available for the cabin. Most likely i will never choose to cruise again in January.
I just cruised on Elation and the a/c was broke in my cabin, and apparantly other cabins (Carnival said it wasnt broken according to their standards).

I was thinking I am not going to cruise when its so hot again ...hahahhahaa just the opposite.

Iv done Triumph too. The 2nd singing and dancing show is probably still the same New Orleans themed show ... it was already that show before they moved it to New Orleans. ...they change shows very rarely, so if you were on in January, Im betting its the same show.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old May 8th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Snoozeman's Avatar
Moderator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bosque County, Texas
Posts: 5,420
Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman
Default

Welcome To Cruisemates. Glad you enjoyed the cruise other than a few things. As people have mentioned some of those changes are now fleet wide so it's not unique to the Triumph.

I haven't sailed her yet, but I'm looking forward to her sailing from Galveston. There are some great bargains for this fall, I guess so many are booking the new Magic that the Triumph is being overlooked. Think I'll suggest it to DD for honeymoon.
__________________
Ray McDonald / Snoozeman

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old May 9th, 2011, 12:03 PM
lhp lhp is offline
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Memphis area, TN
Posts: 1,706
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhill View Post
Just curious why is it so important to some people to meet or look at the captain?

If you had ever sailed with Captain Rassello....you would know the answer to that question....what a cutie pie!!!
__________________
COMPLETES THE FLEET

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old May 9th, 2011, 05:33 PM
Junior Member
Familiar Face
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhp View Post
If you had ever sailed with Captain Rassello....you would know the answer to that question....what a cutie pie!!!
I see that you are sailing on the Triumph on 9-17-2011, my DH and I will also be sailing with you along with another couple. We are driving down the night before from Kansas. We are really excited about sailing on a different ship.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old May 11th, 2011, 02:25 PM
lhp lhp is offline
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Memphis area, TN
Posts: 1,706
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisedogs View Post
I see that you are sailing on the Triumph on 9-17-2011, my DH and I will also be sailing with you along with another couple. We are driving down the night before from Kansas. We are really excited about sailing on a different ship.

Hey...yes indeed we will be there. We are heading out on Saturday on the Triumph for a week.

We usually drive down I-55 and stay in McComb, Ms (1 1/2 hours out)...but this time we are staying in Mandeville.

How long a drive is it for y'all?
__________________
COMPLETES THE FLEET

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old May 12th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Junior Member
Familiar Face
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhp View Post
Hey...yes indeed we will be there. We are heading out on Saturday on the Triumph for a week.

We usually drive down I-55 and stay in McComb, Ms (1 1/2 hours out)...but this time we are staying in Mandeville.

How long a drive is it for y'all?
It will take us 13 hours to get there at a minimum. Don't know how many stops we will have to make along the way. We are traveling with another couple and our friends wife doesn't like long drives, so we will see how that all plays out. Hopefully, she will be able to sleep most of the trip since we will be leaving Friday night.

Are you guys staying in New Orleans after the cruise gets back on Thursday or will you head straight back home? I normally prefer a 7 day cruise, but our friends liked the price and date of the 5 day cruise better.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
14, 17, 2010, 2011, alot, carnival, comedians, cruise, magic, people, review, reviews, sailing, september, ship, triump, triumph

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Triumph Review ShotoJuku Carnival Cruise Lines 1 July 31st, 2009 12:21 AM
TRIUMPH REVIEW ttam Carnival Cruise Lines 15 June 9th, 2009 08:52 PM
Triumph Review jpatrick3 Carnival Cruise Lines 0 January 19th, 2008 09:44 PM
review: triumph 4/24 redyedfrg Carnival Cruise Lines 3 May 24th, 2004 05:03 PM
Triumph Review TINA Carnival Cruise Lines 11 October 3rd, 2001 03:00 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:30 PM.
design by: Themes by Design

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1