Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 7th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default using in room safe?

my family and i are sailing on the pride may 15th out of baltimore, i always worry about leaving valuables like jewelry and cash in the safe how safe is it. please let me know this is my first cruise dont need an issue. any othr info about this cruise would be great...thanks
Sponsored Links
Old May 7th, 2011, 09:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Welcome to Cruisemates.

I've been reading cruise messages boards for many many years and I have never heard of anyone ever complain about losing something from a locked safe. I guess anything is possible, but I think it is very safe.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Navigator of the Seas-Caribbean-3/23/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/10/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/18/2014, Carnival Sunshine-Caribbean-5/30/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014
Old May 7th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Admiral

On our last cruise I used the in cabin safe for the very first time .On all other vacations I carried all valuables .
Old May 7th, 2011, 10:02 PM
Admiral

Always have used the safe. Never had problems .Friends had a problem(of there own makin ) of forgetting ther code to the safe..
I think on HAL the key card is used to open the safe. On RCI and Princess the code you have to enter . Each time you close the safe you have to enter the code.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old May 7th, 2011, 10:21 PM
First Mate

We have used the safe on all of our cruises without any problems. On carnival you use a card with an electronic strip on the back, ie. credit card, drivers license etc. Don't use your sail and sign card. I always use my drivers license, just remember you must use the same card to open the safe that you used to lock it.
2004 "Glory"
2004"Victory"
2007 "Liberty"
2007" Explorer of the Seas
2009 "Valor"
2009 "Fascination"
2011 " Pride"
2014 "Adventure of the Seas"
Old May 7th, 2011, 10:31 PM
Admiral

Anything with a magnetic strip will work. I usually take a gift card, even one that's all used up will do and use it. I never use the room key nor drivers license, credit card, etc. I know some lines have a numerical key pad that you just make up a number and use it to lock and unlock the safe. I really like those better than using a card.
Regarding safety, after almost 40 cruises I've never had a problem with the safety. I guess there's always the first time though.
The main thing is the last morning before you leave the cabin, run your hand all around inside the safe to be sure you aren't leaving something.
Old May 8th, 2011, 02:32 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

We have also always used the room safe. We use our hotel room card that we received the night before the cruise.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old May 8th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Administrator
Admiral

In 30 + cruises I've always used the safe and never had a problem. Well, on Norway, the safe malfunctioned and someone had to come and take the lock off and open the safe.

Would I put the family jewels in one? No, they will not stop someone who knows what they are doing but it will stop almost anyone else and it is fine for anything of value that we would take on a cruise.

I personally hate the Carnival safes where you have to use a magnetic stripe card to open. You always have to carry another card with you on the ship or hide it in the cabin. I was speaking to a room steward once and he said that it is funny that most people just put the card under the safe. Not very secure.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 8th, 2011, 07:32 PM
Admiral

We've never had any problem with the cabin safe. I'd feel comfortable leaving anything in it. I think (but I'm not sure ) that Carnival is phasing out the safe's that use the magnetic strip card. I used my Kroger customer card and just hid it in the cabin. It was really no trouble.

If it's the kind of safe that you program with a number I'd suggest you use a word instead of a number. It's easier to remember (at least for me ). For instance, if you have a dog named Spot, use 7768 as your code (going by phone number keys).

Have a wonderful cruise!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Old May 8th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

We've used the in-room safes without problem. I prefer the ones that you program an ID number. I once had a problem but the security team came up and solved the problem without delay. I don't like the safe with the card swipe method.