Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old May 9th, 2011, 04:24 PM
lumofny's Avatar
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 289
Default Infant Passport on Carnival?

My wife and are considering a Carnival cruise to Canada (departing from New York) next month. We would like to bring our 7 month old son along with us. We both have passports but he does not. We are both US citizens (as is he) and all he has is a birth certificate (no photo ID).

What documents will he need to travel on this cruise? I really don't want to pay for an expedited passport if we don't have to but he has no photo ID (to show in conjunction with his birth certificate on this closed-loop cruise).
__________________
Carnival Miracle
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old May 9th, 2011, 09:40 PM
Fern's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 5,107
Default

This is from the Carnival site:

What kind of legal documents do I need to take for my children?
All children require a passport. When traveling with a minor and both parents/legal guardians are not cruising, we recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel with you.This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security.
How old does my baby have to be to travel on a Carnival cruise?
Infants must be at least six months old (12 months old for Transatlantic, Hawaii and South America cruises) to be eligible to travel.


It looks like you'll need a passport for the little one . Here's the link to the DOS site: Minors Under Age 16

__________________
Fern

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old May 10th, 2011, 02:31 AM
HawkeyeFLA's Avatar
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 417
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern View Post
This is from the Carnival site:

What kind of legal documents do I need to take for my children?
All children require a passport. When traveling with a minor and both parents/legal guardians are not cruising, we recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel with you.This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security.
How old does my baby have to be to travel on a Carnival cruise?
Infants must be at least six months old (12 months old for Transatlantic, Hawaii and South America cruises) to be eligible to travel.


It looks like you'll need a passport for the little one . Here's the link to the DOS site: Minors Under Age 16

Being as its not a closed loop cruise ... and its ending in Canada, based on what I am reading at least, then you will have to adhere to Canadian laws as well. If it is a closed loop cruise that returns to the US, then closed loop rules apply and the birth certificate should suffice. I guess at least WHTI is Western Hemisphere, and last time I checked, our hat was still in the western hemisphere. (I kid, I kid, I love our Canadian neighbors
__________________


Past cruises:

Disney Dream - Dec 2013 4n Bahamas
Disney Dream - Dec 2012 4n Bahamas
Carnival Imagination - Dec 2011 4n Western
Carnival Imagination - Nov 2010 4n Western
Costa Atlantica - Dec 2009 7n Eastern

My opinions are mine and mine alone. They do not represent the opinions of The Walt Disney Company nor any of its subsidiaries.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old May 10th, 2011, 09:31 AM
lumofny's Avatar
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 289
Default

This cruise begins and ends in NYC with two calls in Canada so it's 'closed loop' in the eyes of the state department. The state department says all he'll need is a birth certificate with photo ID while Carnival says he needs a passport. I guess we'll be heading out to get him a passport card later today... Thanks for everyone's help!
__________________
Carnival Miracle
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old May 14th, 2011, 01:36 AM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 253
Default

under 16 all you need is the birth certificate.

Bill
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old May 14th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Newport Oregon
Posts: 687
Smile

I will probaly get alot of flack for this but that has never stopped me before so here goes. Why in the world would you take a seven month old infant on a cruise I dont understand But thats your chose you can do what you want!
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old May 19th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Junior Member
Welcome Newcomer
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumofny View Post
This cruise begins and ends in NYC with two calls in Canada so it's 'closed loop' in the eyes of the state department. The state department says all he'll need is a birth certificate with photo ID while Carnival says he needs a passport. I guess we'll be heading out to get him a passport card later today... Thanks for everyone's help!
Hi, my family is also taking a Carnival Cruise next month leaving out of NY to Canada. I called and they told me my 8 month old will only need his Birth Certificate, anyone under 16 can travel with just a BC. My 4th cruise was with my 7 month old three years ago, it was a great time, she behaved just fine. This time around she is 3.5 and he is 8 months, we are very excited! You won't regret your decision to take him!
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old May 21st, 2011, 12:26 AM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 253
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimom View Post
Hi, my family is also taking a Carnival Cruise next month leaving out of NY to Canada. I called and they told me my 8 month old will only need his Birth Certificate, anyone under 16 can travel with just a BC. My 4th cruise was with my 7 month old three years ago, it was a great time, she behaved just fine. This time around she is 3.5 and he is 8 months, we are very excited! You won't regret your decision to take him!
Any U.S. citizen no matter what age can travel on this cruise with just a birth certificate and govt issued photo ID. Under 16 does not need photo ID.

Bill
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old May 21st, 2011, 07:02 AM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: SPRING, TX
Posts: 327
Default

My 3, 5, 6 and 7 year old grand kids are going on a cruise with us and their parents in August. The kids all just got their passports, which are good for five years. If all goes well a birth certificate is all you need. If something medically goes wrong and they need to be transported out of a foreign country you need a passport for the Red Cross or something like that to help you. Small price to pay for some added help if needed
__________________
NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS - 7/6/14
NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS - 9/14/14
NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS - 9/21/14
OASIS OF THE SEAS - 10/14/14
NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS - 11/4/15
NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS - 1/11/15
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
2011, carnival, cruise, cruising, documents, dont, infant, infants, legal, pass, passport, passports, port, requirements, wanna

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Immigration/Passport check in Colon aboard Carnival Legend eulalie Carnival Cruise Lines 8 October 6th, 2006 06:20 PM
Infant Care on Port days on Carnival klarocco Family Cruising 3 November 7th, 2005 11:11 AM
To Luisa: Carnival / Infant Nicolas Poitras Family Cruising 6 July 15th, 2003 09:17 PM
2 toddlers and 1 infant on carnival cruise (Paradise) rania hammoud Family Cruising 2 May 3rd, 2003 04:44 PM
Passport for Carnival Spirit binkey36 Carnival Cruise Lines 4 February 15th, 2001 08:17 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:54 PM.
design by: Themes by Design

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1