Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 11th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Familiar Face

Default St Thomas here we come! Any ideas of what to do?

My husband and I will be visiting St. Thomas on my Bday June 14th and I'd like to do something fun that day! I don't mind if its just shopping or going on an adventure, but we have never been and I could use some advice of what to get into! Thanks so much for your help cruise friends!
Sponsored Links
Old May 11th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default St Thomas

It is a very short walk thru a really nice shopping area before reaching downtown. Check out this website http://blackbeardscastle.com/
If you don't like the walking you can take a taxi up the hill to the front door of the castle. Free rum tasting with tour and bring your towel. The pineapple rums the best. You can use all four pools on the property all day if you want and the view from up there is amazing. And if you a smoker. $20 per carton no taxes and you can bring back 5 cartons per person. You won't find them cheaper than that anywhere in the carribean. Have a great cruise. Ed
Old May 12th, 2011, 07:46 AM
Cruise Maniac

St. Thomas is one of our ports as well and we are wanting to see Blackbeard's castle. How far is a "short walk"? I looked at the map from your link and I see no problem walking but I know maps can be deceptive, so could you elaborate? Time wise is it a 10 minute walk, 20, etc? Also, is the area pretty flat or are you walking up hills? Thanks!
Old May 12th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I was there many years ago, & it did not seem like a walk away from the ship..I searched a bit, and found it was a 15 minute taxi ride to Bluebeards Castle.

St Thomas...like so may other Caribbean ports have very uneven walking surfaces,with high curbs. It is well worth getting off the ship, checking with the many cab drivers offering tours, many including BBC, along with other must see stops...Mountain Top is a nice take in for a first timer. A ferry ride over to St. Johns, will offer you amazing snorkeling too.

One thing to remember in ports, is when you see a picture taking option, that seems staged,it is,and they expect, if you take a picture, to be paid.

Shopping here is a dream, with so many jewelry and perfume stores, it's easy to get overwhelmed. Electronics too, are big here. Do your homework at home before you buy, to make sure you get the best price. Have fu!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 12th, 2011, 10:21 AM
Welcome Newcomer

We really enjoyed Blackbeard's castle.
Lifelike sizes of the more well known pirates as well as an amber shop.
Tour the shop just to see the amber waterfall.
You catch a water taxi after tour, at your leisure, so plenty of time to shop.
Old May 12th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Cruise Maniac

OK, so can you walk to the shopping area from the ship? Or, is that a taxi ride as well? I would think that we would want to see the castle first and then go shopping so is there a specific area that is best to be dropped off at in the shopping district?

I hope I'm not asking dumb questions but I really like to have an idea of what to expect when I go somewhere new. I'm always afraid I'll overlook the obvious.

Thanks.
Old May 12th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2vacation63 View Post
OK, so can you walk to the shopping area from the ship? Or, is that a taxi ride as well? I would think that we would want to see the castle first and then go shopping so is there a specific area that is best to be dropped off at in the shopping district?

I hope I'm not asking dumb questions but I really like to have an idea of what to expect when I go somewhere new. I'm always afraid I'll overlook the obvious.

Thanks.
A lot depends on where you dock. If it's at Havensight (sp?) you are right next to Havensight Mall where you'll find all the same shops as you would "downtown", which is really "uptown"-a good 20 minute walk uphill on very uneven roads. And depending on how many ships are in port that day, it can be VERY crowded. On the other hand, if you dock at Crown Bay, you'll need a taxi or bus where ever you go-the last time we were there in 2009, the shuttle was $3 one way.
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old May 12th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Reply to Luv

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2vacation63 View Post
St. Thomas is one of our ports as well and we are wanting to see Blackbeard's castle. How far is a "short walk"? I looked at the map from your link and I see no problem walking but I know maps can be deceptive, so could you elaborate? Time wise is it a 10 minute walk, 20, etc? Also, is the area pretty flat or are you walking up hills? Thanks!
Walking to Downtown is very flat but once you get to the path that leads you up to Blackbeards Castle there are the Famous "99 steps" to climb up.
If you count them there are 102 steps. You can walk to downtown and hit the shops first then taxi up to the front door and enjoy the free rum tasting. Taxi will be much cheaper than from the ship.
Have a great cruise. Ed
Old May 12th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruised1014 View Post
Walking to Downtown is very flat but once you get to the path that leads you up to Blackbeards Castle there are the Famous "99 steps" to climb up.
If you count them there are 102 steps. You can walk to downtown and hit the shops first then taxi up to the front door and enjoy the free rum tasting. Taxi will be much cheaper than from the ship.
Have a great cruise. Ed
So walking to the shopping area would be OK. How far a walk is it to the shopping area from the port?
Old May 12th, 2011, 02:54 PM
First Mate

The bar at Blackbeard's is enjoyable as well. If Michael is still there, he makes a very potent concoction out of 12 alcohols and no mixers. Very tasty tho, but also VERY potent. He's born and raised in the USVI, so he has a lot of neat stories as well. When I was there in 2009, we stayed in the bar for probably a good 45m after we finished up in the amber museum.
As mentioned, cigarettes are dirty cheap for sure. But also alcohol. And being USVI, you can bring back 5 liters, 6 if one of them is locally produced (Cruzan rum anyone?

Past cruises:

Disney Dream - Dec 2013 4n Bahamas
Disney Dream - Dec 2012 4n Bahamas
Carnival Imagination - Dec 2011 4n Western
Carnival Imagination - Nov 2010 4n Western
Costa Atlantica - Dec 2009 7n Eastern

My opinions are mine and mine alone. They do not represent the opinions of The Walt Disney Company nor any of its subsidiaries.