Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 15th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Birth Certificate questuion

Hi,
I am new to this site and hope this question is in the right place. My boyfriend booked a closed loop cruise for us on Carnival going to Mexico. I was told I needed a birth certificate, drivers license and marriage certificate to prove name change. My birth certificate is certified with a raised seal but it says delayed. its the only one I ever had, I used it for everything even retirement and Medicare. Are they going to accept this? I have a 5 hour drive to Long Beach CA to get on this ship and he already paid $3,500.00 I don't want to get there and not be allowed to board.
Sponsored Links
Old May 15th, 2011, 03:25 PM
First Mate

You have to have a passport. After I got married, I had to send it and a certified copy of my marriage license, they then put a stamp in the back of it saying it was amended to my new last name
Old May 15th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Welcome Newcomer

This is a closed loop cruise NO PASSPORT required
Old May 15th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Birth Certifacate

Even though you really don't need a passport get one anyway. The worst case senario is not being able to board. Save yourself all the headaches and loss of sleep over it and once you get your passport it's good for 10 years.
If you do decide to go with your Birth Cert make sure it is issued by the "State" you were born in (Hospital Birth Certifacetes are not valid for a cruise.) Also make sur your Drivers Licence is valid and not expired or that won't be accepted. Have a great Cruise. Ed
Old May 15th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondee028 View Post
What's a closed loop cruise? Is it like a cruise to nowhere?

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old May 15th, 2011, 09:19 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondee028 View Post
Sea Travel Only (before June 1, 2009)
For domestic travel which includes: the Bahamas, Bermuda, Canada, the Caribbean and Mexico, a Passport (valid or expired), valid U.S. Passport Card or State or Provincial Enhanced Drivers License is highly recommended. In the absence of a Passport, U.S. Passport Card or State or Provincial Enhanced Drivers License (when available - this secure drivers license will denote identity and citizenship) or any other Department of Home Land Security approved Identification / Citizenship document (s), a birth certificate (original or certified copy), plus a laminated picture ID card including photo, name and date of birth issued by a federal, state, or local government agency is required. U.S. and Canadian citizen children ages 18 and under will be expected to present a birth certificate issued by a federal, state, provincial, county or municipal authority. Note Baptismal paper and hospital certificates of birth are not acceptable. A voter registration card or Social Security Card are not considered to be proof of citizenship. For U.S. Naturalized citizens, in the absence of a passport, Naturalization papers (either original or notarized copy) plus a laminated picture ID card issued by a federal, state, or local government agency is required.
Old May 16th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hopefully you have plenty of time and with the money involved in the cruise, just get the passport and have no worries. I'd also suggest getting travel insurance too, unless you already have purchased it.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 16th, 2011, 11:51 AM
First Mate

Blondie is right it's a closed loop cruise so a birth cert will do however; you will need your marriage certificate showing the name change from the name that's on your birth certificate or the chain of name changes. If you qualify for a passport, you should apply for one and get it.

Closed loop cruise means it starts in the United States or one of it's territories and ends where it started.
RCCL Freedom : April 2012
CCL Destiny : April 2011
CCL Valor : September 2010
CCL Victory : March 2010
RCCL Adventure : September 2009
RCCL Monarch : March 2009
RCCL Mariner : September 2008
CCL Liberty : March 2008
CCL Valor : July 2007
CCL Celebration : March 2007
CCL Elation : March 2006
CCL Fantasy : October 2005
Old May 16th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogirl View Post
What's a closed loop cruise? Is it like a cruise to nowhere?
Embarks and disembarks from the same US port. Most cruises originating in US ports are closed loop. That said, we always carry passports, you never know when some sort of deviation may occur and it would be very handy to have your passport in hand.

There has been a few incidents reported here where cruise line or TSA employees have denied passengers boarding (incorrectly) due to a lack of a valid passport.

Better safe than sorry.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old May 16th, 2011, 07:42 PM
Captain

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMG View Post
Blondie is right it's a closed loop cruise so a birth cert will do however; you will need your marriage certificate showing the name change from the name that's on your birth certificate or the chain of name changes. If you qualify for a passport, you should apply for one and get it.

Closed loop cruise means it starts in the United States or one of it's territories and ends where it started.
We just returned in April from a closed loop cruise to Hawaii All we used was birth certificates and a drivers license. My wife did not need a marriage certicate or anything to show a name change.
Old May 17th, 2011, 01:15 AM
First Mate

I agree with green rd just get your passport, and your worries are over. Do not take the chance of you not getting on board.
Old May 17th, 2011, 10:00 AM
Familiar Face

i agree with the majority. a passport will save you a lot of headache. you can get a passport card, but if you have to board a plane for any reason, a passport card will not work. but, it is less expensive. you can also expedite the application for a fee, receiving your passport in 2 weeks.

Read and post cruise reviews