CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Oceanview or Balcony (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/382496-oceanview-balcony.html)

kevin8245 May 15th, 2011 10:50 PM

Oceanview or Balcony

Taking my first cruise in August with my girls 13 & 15 on Ecstacy. Any thoughts anyone as to the oceanview or balcony.
Thanks

Aerogirl May 16th, 2011 12:07 AM

One word: BALCONY:)

Lakers Fan May 16th, 2011 12:56 AM

We've had a balcony 2 times ,we rather have an outside view .I think ,however ,that I have the minority opinion .

green_rd May 16th, 2011 07:30 AM

To some extent it depends on how much time you think you may spend in your stateroom. I usually wake up much earlier than my wife, so enjoy sitting on the balcony are reading while she sleeps.

Trip May 16th, 2011 09:55 AM

It's personal....some with young kids, just might feel more comfortable wth an ocean view...I knew someone who loved lots of cabin time,and would never have gotten a balcony. Others are claustraphobic. and love the extra space. You will never know till you try. Maybe a shorter cruise is the way to find out. I am comfortable with both.

skymaster May 16th, 2011 10:06 AM

I too, think you might be more comfortable with the kids in an oceanview. Balcony is great, if you have the money, and if you plan to spend lots of time in the cabin, but I prefer to spend my money on other things, and do the activities offered on the ship, and not worry about my children out on the balcony. :cool:

"SKY"

Sulross May 16th, 2011 10:37 AM

Depends on Where going

A balcony is a must to Alaska, Panama Canal and Hawaii and places like that. If going to Caribbean, transatlantic crossing or something like that, then an ocean view is good. I very rarely get a balcony as I would not spend much time there, but do like to look out to check the weather and such. The cost difference gives us a couple of extra cruises per year by not selecting a balcony. It is mainly a destination decision.:cool:

JLI219 May 16th, 2011 01:43 PM

If money is no issue, then I would recommend the balcony. I have not tried a Suite yet, but my order of preference is #1 balcony, #2 inside room, and #3 oceanview. Enjoy the planning and taking the cruise!

Jeff

Lakers Fan May 16th, 2011 08:44 PM

Why inside as # 2 ?

Dhill May 16th, 2011 08:49 PM

Balcony why not gives you more room nice to go out there and look around .Nice for waking up and sitting around out there . And nice place to go when the girls are getting ready to go out. I really liked ares nice place to go relax without having to go out.:D

Cruznut2 May 17th, 2011 05:23 AM

I would love to have a balcony every time. Being single and traveling alone I usually opt for in inside. However I am going on the Carnival Dream with my cousin in 2012 and have already chosen an aft facing balcony. I did the math and to share that balcony was less money than paying the single supplement on the tiny inside cabin.

Laura

JLI219 May 17th, 2011 05:23 PM

I did not care for the ocean view because we could barely see out of the window because of all the salt water on the window itself. If you want it for the light, ok, but trying to look out the window was impossible for us. Just my experience though.

fourxbusymom May 17th, 2011 06:48 PM

We do prefer a balcony. We took a cruise with friends last August and I insisted on balconies for us grown-ups and we put the kids in inside cabins across the hall...it was cheaper than 4 OVs! Anyway, the one friend just knew it was a waste of money, until we opened up the balconies so all three cabins connected. Now, they are insisting on balconies for our Alaska cruise no matter the cost! I think we've created monsters!! :p

Terri

shipmate May 19th, 2011 10:25 PM

We've done inside, outside and balconies and by far, the balcony is the way to go. All I can say is once you've sailed with a balcony, it's hard to accept anything less. You'll be hooked.

Like all others said, it depends on your finances and what you can afford.

Barryn514 May 24th, 2011 02:07 PM

We did a balcony on our second cruise and since then we have always had a balcony and that was many cruise ago.

When you think about the cost per day for a balcony, then it's really not that bad. Our last two cruises we went with a suite and I enjoyed the extra room. We don't spend that much time in our cabin but the time we do, it is nice.

July is our Alaska Cruise and we have a balcony and Oct is our cruise on the Dream and we booked a suite. :D

mlschef May 25th, 2011 12:11 AM

We've done the inside, oceanview and balcony also. I like waking up with some sunlight coming thru the window but that is my only complaint about an inside cabin.
The oceanview gives me that little extra, but also costs that little extra. The cruises we've done with a balcony do add some extra cabin time and gives you a somewhat private getaway space. But again, that comes with a price. That is the one real "extra" you get with a balcony.

Having a specific type of room has not caused me to enjoy any cruise less than another one. I'd just let your budget decide.

btw...my wife totally disagrees with me. "Once you have a balcony, you'll never cruise without one" is her two cents.

Manuel May 25th, 2011 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shipmate (Post 1371933)
We've done inside, outside and balconies and by far, the balcony is the way to go. All I can say is once you've sailed with a balcony, it's hard to accept anything less. You'll be hooked.

Like all others said, it depends on your finances and what you can afford.

I agree with you.

Our first three cruises were ocean view, and then on the 4th. we were up-graded to a balcony. After that we were hooked.

TM

shipmate May 26th, 2011 12:20 AM

The other thing I forgot to mention, we like laying around with the door open and listen to the water at nights. Very relaxing and peaceful.

Kamloops Cruiser May 26th, 2011 11:34 AM

You don't say where you are going? I find inside & oceanview can get stuffy and hot in the warm climates . A balcony is would be great where its warm .
In Alaska I would suggest an Oceanview ,because it can be chilly when at sea . Since a lot of time is spent in port I personalty think a balcony is a waste of money . Better to use the extra on excursions and other things.
Still the decision is yours.