Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 22nd, 2011, 04:29 PM
First Mate

Default The Letter / The Response

In ref to post: Carnival Complaint Letter

It's highly unlikely (by choice) that I will not make it to Platinum Status because Carnival pretty much told me to kiss their a$$ in the response that they sent me. What I take from the letter is - CCL saying; "too bad, so sad!"

Read the letters and let me know what you think.

My Letter
Their Response
RCCL Freedom : April 2012
CCL Destiny : April 2011
CCL Valor : September 2010
CCL Victory : March 2010
RCCL Adventure : September 2009
RCCL Monarch : March 2009
RCCL Mariner : September 2008
CCL Liberty : March 2008
CCL Valor : July 2007
CCL Celebration : March 2007
CCL Elation : March 2006
CCL Fantasy : October 2005
Sponsored Links
Old May 22nd, 2011, 05:10 PM
Admiral

For some reason your letter to Carnival will not open am getting a "Drawing Error". But I did read the letter from Carnival. And have to say that it sounds like what I would expect from ANY cruise line. And if in fact you did not actually complain about the problem with the plumbing during your cruise than there is nothing they can do to help you. Now if you did complain and keep complaining while on the cruise and the crew did nothing to fix the problem then yes some kind of compensation would be in order.

I have heard of other people sending letters of complain to other cruise lines and having not made the complaint while on the cruise the lines said basiclly the same thing.

You will find problem with others being loud and problems with kids on most any line it is not confined to Carnival. Actually I have found there to be less trouble with kids on Carnival than on other lines that I have cruised.

I feel that you are just trying to justify to yourself for not wanting to cruise with Carnival again. and for having to spend more money to cruise with Royal.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old May 22nd, 2011, 05:45 PM
First Mate

Well. Not with any attitude towards your response but your response sound just like the way I feel. You didn't read my letter just as carnival didn't "read" my letter.

Carnival had the opportunity to fix every problem I wrote to them about. They chose not to.

Not sure why it wouldn't open for you.

http://thepaperfile.com/webstage/cru...tter052011.pdf
Old May 22nd, 2011, 06:06 PM
Admiral

This time your letter did open and I was able to read it. I still side with Carnival you really did nothing according to your letter with complaining while on the ship therefore Carnival really had no chance to fix the problems. If you had filed complaints with Guest Services more than the one time then maybe things would be different.

No matter where you are if you do not complain and if need be keep complaining then after the fact nothing really can be done.

Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old May 22nd, 2011, 06:40 PM
First Mate

Carnival had the opportunity each time I called gust services " this cycle repeated itself every night of the cruise except the last night. "

Carnival had the opportunity to fix the drainage when I called guest services.

Carnival had the opportunity to correct the children in the adult only pool.

In each of these opportunities the cruise line failed. The cruise line failed at the point of origin and failed when given another opportunity to make it right. CCL need not worry about failing me again.
Old May 22nd, 2011, 07:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Emg,
I wasn't able to open the reply from Carnival, but I suspect what it said. I feel for you, when you were a loyal guest on their ships and now, no longer feel they respect your complaints and act accordingly. I too would most likely try some other ships and may-be some day go back to Carnival. You really can't beat their value for a cruise....

I can only assume, they did not address any of your difficulties on your last cruise in any way, a simple ship board credit on your next cruise wouldn't of been out of line, but I don't think they even attempted that.

It is just too bad that they couldn't take care of some of the problems while you were on board. You also have to realize, they didn't want to get any other cruisers put out, but kicking the kids out of the pool even though it was for adults only.

I have the same problem when I see deck lounge chairs with personal items on them, for hours at a time, that is my major cruise gripe...

I wish you the best in your future cruises, who knows, may-be you will find another line/ship you like better. Keep us posted.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 22nd, 2011, 07:14 PM
Admiral

The only thing your letter implies is that you only complained during the crusie about the noise from the next cabin , no where did you state that you had contacted Guest Services about the drainage problem in the bathroom or the kids in the adult only pool. If you had maybe something could be done.

You never stated what you wanted Carnival to do to compensate you. Did you expect them to refund at least part of the cost of the cruise or that you wanted a credit for a future cruise. You left it completely up to them and as I stated before I think you just wanted an excuse to not cruise with Carnival again.

Old May 22nd, 2011, 07:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

It has been my experience that if you have a problem on a cruise, you must speak to the front desk personnel and, failing that, the Hotel Manager, in order to resolve an unpleasant experience. I have found that if you immediately report a problem, the powers that be will do everything they can to make your cruise experience good, if not great.
Old May 22nd, 2011, 08:26 PM
Captain

OP Iv had issues myself with Carnival and I think all you can do is decide if you want to continue crusing with them .. for whatever reasons. If you dont, the only one you punish is yourself. They really dont care.

I only contacted them once after a cruise .. thru my TA who actually sent my complaints to Carnival. Even my TA said their reply was nonsense. I still have cruised with Carnival, but now my eyes are wide open that they really dont care (just my opinion)... they figure if you dont come back, there will be a new cruiser to replace you.
Old May 22nd, 2011, 08:34 PM
Captain

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlb1050 View Post
The only thing your letter implies is that you only complained during the crusie about the noise from the next cabin , no where did you state that you had contacted Guest Services about the drainage problem in the bathroom or the kids in the adult only pool. If you had maybe something could be done.

You never stated what you wanted Carnival to do to compensate you. Did you expect them to refund at least part of the cost of the cruise or that you wanted a credit for a future cruise. You left it completely up to them and as I stated before I think you just wanted an excuse to not cruise with Carnival again.
Wow your going to bermuda We have been thinking about doing that cruise now I am jealus youll have to let us how it was when you get back have fun
Old May 22nd, 2011, 09:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

EMG

It really is too bad that the neighbors were allowed to make that much noise. They confiscate so many things from passengers, I am surprised that a boom box causing a noise problem wouldn't be.

Did you call guest relations every night to have security come up, or just the first night?

As NLB noted, in your letter you don't mention notifying guest relations about the shower problem (btw.. every cabin I've been in has a drain in the shower, as well as somewhere in the floor of the bathroom area.)

If you did notify them, they'd have to record it in their logs, and you could have told the cruise lines that was the case, and they could have verified it.

You may not have been happy with the "deck supervior's" response, but I'm not sure who that would have been; a security officer, deck hand?

Again, if you were unhappy about the response it should have been reported to Guest Relations, because they are required to log all complaints.

At least that would made all your complaints verifiable.

As others have pointed out, it's best to report everything, and certainly after the second episode of boom box noise from next door, I would have gone right to the Guest Relations desk, and asked to see the Hotel Director.

He is basically the final authority on all the departments concerned in your complaints.

I have no doubt your complaints were legitimate, however either the hotel manager could have worked to correct them (like changing your cabin), or you'd have had a "paper trail" for the cruise line to follow, which I think would have resulted in at least a discount on future cruise.

Frankly based on your letter, I don't think any cruise line would have handled it differently. They've unfortunately all become quite cynical with people's complaints, just looking for some compensation.

I've talked to many hotel managers about this type of thing; and the stories they tell
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old May 23rd, 2011, 09:09 AM
Admiral

I too, have read both your letter, and Carnivals response. The response letter seems absolutely appropriate to me, considering the complaints, and your stated action while aboard the ship. I think if you try RCI, NCL, or any other cruise line, and have similar problems, you'll find that you get a similar response. As Kuki stated, the best thing you can do to rectify any of your problems, is go straight to the pursers desk and ask them to take care of the problem. I'll bet they would have!

"SKY"
Old May 23rd, 2011, 11:11 AM
Familiar Face

I read both letters and am curious as to what the OP wanted Carnival to do. He didn't ask for any kind of refund or credit on an upcoming cruise. I don't know what else he expected Carnival's response to be other then "sorry".
Old May 23rd, 2011, 11:48 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I know, these kinds of complaints are difficult to come to any kind of agreement, best to be handled during the cruise and right away. Not sure what you could or would expect them to reply at this point and not sure what would make anyone happy after this happening.

Think it is time to just forget about, learning a lesson and getting on with things.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 24th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

Everytime I have ever reported any problems with our cabins Carnival has responded promptly and the issue was resolved. If it had not been resolved I would have made myself a frequent presence at Guest Services until it was resolved.
Carnival Celebration 03/06
Carnival Fantasy 12/06
Carnival Fantasy 04/07
Carnival Glory 10/07
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2008
Carnival Fascination Oct 2008
Carnival Holiday April 2009
Carnival Dream Dec 2009
Carnival Triumph Jan 2010
Carnival Dream May 2010
Carnival Elation Jan 2011
Carnival Triumph May 2011
Carnival Fascination Feb 2012
Carnival Conquest 12/09/12
Carnival Fascination 01/06/13
Old May 24th, 2011, 10:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

EMG, I'm going to side with you on this one. Everyone posting has been correct in much of what they say. I am also not someone who expects (or wants) something for nothing. However, you are a repeat customer who has shown some loyalty to CCL. That should count for something.
I assume that you do not a history of complaining about with CCL either onboard or after you cruise.
So would it have really been so bad for CCL to make a small gesture to at least say thank you for speaking up and pointing out issues, even if they are somewhat common issues for cruise ships?
A simple bottle of wine or a free dinner for you and your wife at the dinner club on your next cruise would have at least been token acknowledgment of your complaint.

The other side of this is that now there may be first time cruisers out there that will read the two letters and plant a negative seed in their head even before they board their first Carnival boat.

Those gold cards they give repeat guests really should mean something.
Old May 28th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Admiral

One of my "cruise sons" is the CD on the Destiny right now.

I just talked to him and I actually remembered to ask him about the AFT pool and hot tub.

I know that we are use to only the hot tub being adult only on the ships...but he said on the Destiny it is the POOL AND THE HOT TUBS that are suppose to be ADULT ONLY.

I would venture to say that the Guest Services Representative reading your letter does not even know that.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old May 30th, 2011, 09:25 PM
Welcome Newcomer

hi emg
sometimes it's better to let your ta handle it . being a ta myself he or she probably could have gotten you an onboard credit on your next cruise. i'm a platinum member myself the perks are good on carnival . i've cruised over 50 times and i tell you i have been thru it all . but next time go to the purser desk yourself or when you get home contact your ta right away. hope this helped

the cruzqueen
Old May 31st, 2011, 12:34 AM
First Mate

Default You are too nice

Hello EMG
Perhaps its my prior work background but when I read your letter which opened fine, it was more of a story than a complaint.
It took me awhile to separate your joys and your concerns.

May I suggest in futire just start off saying that you are a prior member and have done xn trips with them then you point form indicate your onboard problems , how you dealt with it and any staff resolutions or lack of.
Followed by any expected compensation for inabillty to sleep or such.

I know this is hindsight but you were being a nice guy hoping things would improve with one call.
- Your cabin noise should have been followed up by a call every time to pursers office and you could have noted time and call. If no resolution then you pay a visit in the daytime and make your concern known.
- The pool bit is always a tough one, take it to the front desk or live with it and take your wife to the Spa

Their letter to you smacks of a 1st person assigned not a manager's response and telling you its a large hotel so expect it, not a good reply.
The only solid thing they said was to report it to the Hotel Manager.
A lot of other cruiselines exist so try them as an option and write them a letter saying they have just lost your business over a letter back to you that really did not acknowledge your hurt with even a simple gesture to the next cruise. IMHO
Web site: http://robbarcruises.wordpress.com/
Old June 6th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Just for the sake of stating the obvious - every cruise line will say the same thing about a problem you had onboard if you did not take steps to have it resolved while you were onboard "We're sorry, but there ius nothig we can do now."

You say you complained about the drainage in your shower, but I don't see that mentioned in your letter to Carnival. It just says the same happened nightly.

As far as the neighbors making noise and the kids in the pool - i DO agree with you. If you notified the line of a problem it is a copout for them to say they rely on parents and other guests to behave according to the rules.

The cruise contracts have specific rules saying you can be kicked off of a cruise for misbehaving. And we have experiences where people were kicked off of cruise ships for "disrupting" a cruise.

In those cases, I agree that you have every right to complain. In fact, in the future I would get the names of people you complained to and write Carnival to tell them these people did nothing to resolve your problems onboard.

It is a bit of a contradiction on the part of Carnival to say in the first paragraph "had you told us onboard we would have fixed it" and then to dismiss the complaints you did make onboard as if it was not their responsibility.

So, bottom line, I don't blame you for being upset. Maybe it is time to find a new cruise line. Certainly other cruise lines try harder to curtail late night noise and kids running amok.
Old June 6th, 2011, 03:26 PM
First Mate

Default Move on

Now that you have Paul's blessing and others who have made the same observation. :razz:
Time tp move on, lots of other good cruise lines for you and your wife to enjoy. Just ask questions on the board.
Cheers
Old June 8th, 2011, 11:52 PM
Admiral

Sounds like an issue I had with Carnival about their ground transportation.
I wrote to them and got a polite..."sorry but tough luck" letter.
For whatever reasons, I chose to forgive them.
I'll be on the Carnival Fantasy in September, but I'll be doing a few things differently.

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Old June 9th, 2011, 12:10 AM
Admiral

If you want a quite cruise line...try Holland America.
I just got off the Maasdam 7 May to Canada/New England.
Most everyone was 80 years old and went to bed at 2100.

/ticker.png">
Old June 9th, 2011, 02:51 AM
First Mate

Default Cute !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoth View Post
If you want a quite cruise line...try Holland America.
I just got off the Maasdam 7 May to Canada/New England.
Most everyone was 80 years old and went to bed at 2100.
Well we went on that cruise a few years back and our table must have brought the age average down a lot as we had just turned sixty and our supper normally ended about 10:15pm.
I agree once you got to past 11am , the ship was quiet at times in some parts.

WE enjoyed the Maasdam, our was the May 20, 2006 trip Boston to Montreal
Old June 9th, 2011, 05:40 AM
Familiar Face

If after the second night of complaing about the Boom Box ( is this a Radio type thing)? to no effect. I think i would have said enough is enough, grabed my pillow blanket etc and informed whoever is in charge that i would be sleeping on one of the settees in a seating area until they can move me to another cabin, if no cabins are available i would have asked for a full refund and to be let off at the next port. This is a bit OTT i know and I would not expect them to agree to these requests but i should imagine they would have soon sorted the problem out.

Just one thing, could they remove a person from the ship fpr sleeping on a bar/sitting area settee?

i have no young children but i doubt i would have complained about a couple of kids in a adults only pool, nor would i have complained about the shower as with all tiny showers with a shower curtain the floor of the room will always get wet and it was easy to clean up afterwards but that's just me everyone has their own coping levels, what would greatly annoy one person may not bother another. however lack of sleep caused by disrespectful guests would have me climbing the walls

Pen x
Old June 11th, 2011, 12:05 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by robh View Post
Well we went on that cruise a few years back and our table must have brought the age average down a lot as we had just turned sixty and our supper normally ended about 10:15pm.
I agree once you got to past 11am , the ship was quiet at times in some parts.

WE enjoyed the Maasdam, our was the May 20, 2006 trip Boston to Montreal
Of course I was being a little facetious. It was a great cruise with wonderful people. The Crows Nest disco after 9 or 10 was pretty much partying with the staff.
One funny story...After a did a Karaoke song from the 70's, a lady told she wasn't familar with these newer songs.

/ticker.png">
Old June 11th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

We made the mistake once of booking a cruise during Spring Break (it was on Royal Caribbean's Explorer of the Seas). There were kids everywhere! In the "Adults Only" pool, in the casino, etc. Some of the ship's staff looked so frazzled that I thought there might be a mutiny . So it isn't just the guests that suffer when there are unruly kids on board. Needless to say, we won't book a cruise during Spring Break again (on any ship). EMG, was this cruise during Spring Break? Your letter didn't say. As to the other problems, the Purser's Desk should have been able to take care of them for you. You just have to be persistent sometimes. Remember, "The squeaky wheel gets the grease". As everyone else has already said, there's not much that can be done after you've disembarked and returned home. I don't believe that Carnival doesn't care. I would think they'd want you to have an enjoyable cruise, and to tell everyone what a good experience it was. Word-of mouth advertising (positive or negative) is a pretty powerful thing. Ultimately it's your choice, but I would hope you'd give Carnival another chance, but maybe at a different time of the year. Just remember, every cruise ship, regardless of which cruise line, has problems at one time or another. None of them are 100% perfect 100% of the time.