Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 31st, 2011, 04:15 PM
Familiar Face

Smile Need help with first Carnival cruise with 2 year old

Hello all, we've been on 4 RCCL cruises before, always happy and know what to expect. This winter I want to take the Jan 16 sailing of the Fascination going to Nassau and Key West leaving from Jacksonville. The big difference this time is we are going to bring our 2 year old daughter. Our 7 year old son has been on 2 cruises before, so I assume the kids programs will be similar. We were debating on even going because we did not want to be stuck caring for the little girl ALL the time. But from what I read on the Carnival site (and I could not read all of it due to site errors) it looks like Camp Carnival accepts 2 year olds and they do not have to be potty trained. This is quite a difference as with RCCL they have to be 3 and potty trained. So this allows us to have our whole family and still have quiet dinners. Can anyone confirm that this is the case?

Other questions:
are the pools heated? In JAX it will be freezing, but it will warm up once we get to key west and the caribbean, right? Will the waterworks even be useable?

On RCCL, we always chose 1st seating, and took our son to the buffet to feed him and then dropped him off at adventure ocean and went straight to our dinner seating. Will this work on Carnival as well? We don't want to get stuck where we can't drop the kids off and miss our seating.

I am assuming we will get a room with a double bed and two trundles? Will a trundle hold me at 200lbs? Cause I sure can't put the 2 year old up there, she'll sleep with mama. Or, will a pack and play fit in the room, it sure would not on the Monarch. We are getting a cheap inside stateroom. Has always been adequate.

Thanks for the help and I appreciate any other help you guys can give me as well as Port JAX tips as we have never been there.

Sovereign of the Seas (Sept 2002)
Enchantment of the Seas (Sept 2003)
Monarch of the Seas (August 2009)
Monarch of the Seas (April 2011)
Enchantment of the Seas- Port Canaveral (May 2013)
Enchantment of the Seas - (April 2014)
Hope for a BIG ship in 2015! (heck with that, we'll take a small one for 2014!)
Sponsored Links
Old May 31st, 2011, 08:42 PM
Admiral

Hi! Here's what I found on the Carnival web site:

"Toddlers do not have to be potty-trained in order to be part of Camp Carnival; parents simply need to provide the youth staff with diapers and toiletries for their child."

The pools are not heated as far as I know.

We haven't sailed the Fascination, but I'm sure someone else will be along to answer your other questions /

Have a wonderful cruise!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old May 31st, 2011, 09:07 PM
Captain

You mention trundles, and then say you cant put your 2 year old "up there". Trundles are beds that are almost on the floor and roll under a regular twin bed and your ship has them and rollaways. You can also ask your cabin steward for a pack n play, which will fit into your inside cabin. More than likely you would have two uppers, if you book a quad .. I think thats what you are thinking of, bunk beds that come out of the wall.

The weight limit on the uppers is 250 lbs.

Iv never seen the water freezing in FL, but I lived south of your port, and we all like water different.. no heated pool.

You will have waterworks, where they slide into a splash of water, but I believe they have to be 48 inches tall to do the slide. One tiny pool. Salt water pumped in daily.

Majesty insides are 119 s.f. vs. 185 s.f on Carnival.
Old May 31st, 2011, 11:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

The one thing I can think of to offer is the fact that your inside room will have only a shower. If your two year old is only use to a tub, go to wal Mart or some place like it, and buy a cheap blow up pool. It will fit in the shower, so you can fill it up at bath time. They pack well, and can be put away without problems.

Have a great cruise.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old May 31st, 2011, 11:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

There are just announced new additions to the Carnival Kids programs that may help
Cruise News - updated daily! The latest cruise news from and about the cruise travel industry
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old June 1st, 2011, 09:41 AM
Admiral

Well...it has been YEARS since I had one in that age group.

IF they still run on the same schedule....

on Sea Days...you will have to pick both children up for lunch and feed them yourselves. They used to close from noon-2.

on PORT days...that is not the case...they feed the children lunch...in case parents are on an excursion. We never did this (left the kids on the ship and went on an excursion)....but lots of parents do.

As for dinner, our two boys always ate dinner with us in the Main Dining room. Camp Carnival USED to close from 5pm - 7pm .... (except on Formal night when they fed the kids)....but recently I have heard they will feed them every night (but I can't swear to it)...so double check this before you book.

Camp Carnival would open up again from 7pm- 10pm....all for free.

Babysitting charges did not start until 10PM....

IN the old days...on Sea Days...the hours were 9AM - noon, 2PM-5PM and 7Pm-10PM...all for free.

IN the old days..on Port Days, they were open from whenever the first excursion left and only closed 45 minutes from 5:00PM - 5: 45PM.

I will see if I can get some updated information since you not having the kids with you at dinner is a sticking point.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old June 1st, 2011, 01:40 PM
Familiar Face

Wow, thanks for all the replies. We are still thinking about it. Yes, I meant bunk but I think the site said trundle, I will have to check. Looks like the water will be too cold to enjoy even in the bahamas and this wil severely disappoint my children. There's a reason it's so cheap in January I guess. Not to mention there might not be many children for my son to play with since school is in. Lots of downsides, only upside is the price. Just can't swing $2000 to cruise with the whole family in the summer. We keep taking the same ol RCCL 3 nighter (done it 3x already) because we like it and it's inexpensive, but wanted to try something new and would love to go to key west again (that port stay is ridiculously short, tho). And now RCCL jacks up the price when you choose a 3 or 4 person room whereas Carnival does not and their additional persons are much cheaper. I know Carnival has a 3 nighter as well, but Freeport? Really? I have tried and tried but cannot find any reason to get off the boat there. Trying...

Old June 1st, 2011, 02:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I would not be to quick to think that the water would be to cold. I was in St Thomas, and Marteen in January, and it was hot.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old March 31st, 2013, 02:45 PM
Familiar Face

Talking We're BACK!!!

Well this thread is old, but it's mine, so I'm bringing it back to life since it's mine. We decided not to cruise with the 2 year old. Now she's almost 3 1/2, and it's time. We are booked on our same old standby cruise, but this time with a new ship, the Enchantment! We are going May 24th. Both kids can enjoy Adventure Ocean and mom and dad can get some peace! It will be little girl's first cruise and the boy's 3rd! He is begging us for a Disney cruise or for the Oasis class but he doesn't realize how lucky he is just to be able to go at all. We are going to Disney World tomorrow! Poor kid! The little girl jumps up and down everytime she sees a cruise ship on TV. She is scary smart and knows what is going on. Communicates at a 5 year old level. Will have to warn the staff, she tries to fool you...

We have been on Enchantment before years ago before it was stretched and refurbished, so it should be quite nice and feel larger than the Sovereign class we are used to. I never felt cramped on a Sovereign class, it's a huge boat, you all are just spoiled. Yeah the room is super tight, but we just sleep there. This time I was able to book an "accessible" room with a bit more size in the room and bathroom so it should be much better than the last cruise on the Monarch. It was only a few bucks more...

I think it was better to wait, costs more each year. Would like to go on a Freedom class maybe in 2 more years. As long as work and economy is still good. Will enjoy this one like it's my last...

Just realized that this post was on the Carnival section....Still have not tried Carnival. Sad to see the trouble they have had recently. I think a lot of people lied and made the situation worse in the most recent one. We are sticking to RCCL because of port location and from my research, the lowest tier Carnival cruises just are not as good as the RCCL. I think that difference goes away once you move up a tier, so we're not ruling it out for the future. Carnival sails from my home state in Charleston, too. But you just pay more for more time at sea which is not appealing to me. We always find reason to drive to Florida, see something else, and get a better deal.