CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Sunscreen question... (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/382958-sunscreen-question.html)

littlepockit June 6th, 2011 01:27 PM

Sunscreen question...

Hello all!

Our cruise is in a mere 26 days! I think the kids are going to die before we leave. heh

My only concern is my fair-skinned children burning to a crisp. I plan on packing a crapton of sunscreen, but is there a limit that we can bring on board? If it is in our checked bags will they say anything or pink slip us if we have 2 or 3 spray cans in each piece of luggage? If so, do they sell it on board, just in case we do run out? I looked around the Carnival site, but couldn't find much. parts of their website has been down for maintenance for a while, and I can't seem to access a bunch of the FAQs.

Also, has anyone tried the new wetskin formulations? The amazon reviews are less than helpful.

Thanks so much!
Kimberly :)

Lakers Fan June 6th, 2011 01:54 PM

I've had 3 skin cancer surgeries in the past 3 years .I must use sunscreen 365 days a year .I will bring at least 4 tubes + 4 spray cans aboard the ship .

Fern June 6th, 2011 07:52 PM

Kimberly, you can bring as much sunscreen as you want onboard :)! It's only the airline's that limit liquids. You can buy sunscreen on the ship, but it will cost a lot more than Wal-Mart :D:D!

Have a wonderful cruise!

littlepockit June 6th, 2011 10:52 PM

Thanks!

I just wasn't sure if there was a limitation. You all must think I'm about as bright as a burned out light bulb! LOL

HawkeyeFLA June 7th, 2011 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littlepockit (Post 1374873)
Thanks!

I just wasn't sure if there was a limitation. You all must think I'm about as bright as a burned out light bulb! LOL

Well, when I turn off my 6500k daylight CFLs they have a neat greenish glow ... so maybe not a bad thing. :-p

Dwayne June 7th, 2011 03:28 AM

I have fair skin and can highly recommend Bull Frog brand sun screen. It is the only brand I've found that works in salt water without breaking down.

green_rd June 7th, 2011 07:21 AM

Many Caribbean ports request that you use eco-friendly sun products (whatever they are.)

littlepockit June 7th, 2011 11:27 AM

Eco-friendly, eh? I guess that would be the "organic" stuff they charge $30 for 8 oz? You know, I'd would be all for that organic stuff if they didn't charge 3-4 times what the regular stuff costs.

Queen of Oakville June 7th, 2011 11:40 AM

Do your kids wear sunshirts? You may want to consider that to protect their backs, shoulders, necks. You can buy them at walmart or target (they have special UV coating built into the fabric).

Don't forget hats too!

One thing I hate about all this sunscreen .... is I come back from holidays, and no one can tell I've been away! I'm naturally dark, so i tan easily, so do my kids. We went away in March, and not one person could tell that we had been south for a week.

Paul Motter June 7th, 2011 12:51 PM

No silly questions if you need to know!

The main thing to remember is that the airlines will not allow spray cans in carry-ons, but you can pack them in your luggage (I believe - someone correct me if I am wrong, its been a long time since I used spray cans for anything - my sunscreen comes in tubes).

But even with tubes the airlnes limit you to 2.5 ounces per tube. So you need to put it in your carry on luggage. The cruise lines don't care how much you bring on.

And YES - the Caribbean sun will burn you very quickly - before you even realize it, so put on that sunscreen before you go outside.

Fern June 7th, 2011 09:08 PM

Kimberly, just today I saw the ad for "Wetskin" sunscreen. I really don't think it's any better or worse than any other sunscreen. I'd suggest you buy something in the 50's and soak your sweeties in it :D! Re-apply often!

Like the Queen, I'm not happy that I don't come home with a wonderful tan, but the other option (skin cancer!) is much scarier :shock: !

As someone who grew up in the "baby oil and iodine" summer's, I'd suggest you and your children stay as "untanned" as possible :)!

JMHO,

littlepockit June 8th, 2011 06:45 PM

Thanks again, everyone. Luckily, I got a great deal on the Neutrogena website and got 4 cans of 70 SPF and 2 sticks of the solid (good for the faces of squirmy boys, I hope!) for $20. I had coupons and free shipping, so it worked out great! I will likely hit Target in Mt. Pleasant before boarding the ship. We are going out of Charleston and luckily, we know the downtown area pretty well.

I will let you all know if we come back tanless. :D

Fern June 8th, 2011 08:07 PM

That sounds wonderful! Have a great "unburned" cruise!

Dwayne June 11th, 2011 03:41 AM

Yes, I know that Xcaret, Xel-Ha, Garrafon Park, Chankanaab Park, and the protected marine park in Cozumel, require the use of biodegradable.

littlepockit June 12th, 2011 10:21 AM

We are leaving out of Charleston, going to Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay and Nassau. I guess I ought to check to see of they require "green" sunscreen.