Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 13th, 2011, 07:35 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Embarkation Day Tips?

What are yours to share?

My top three are -

1. Arrive at the Port at the designated time. Getting there too early causes a log jam type situation with those Debarking the previous cruise with parking etc.

2. Have your documentation in hand and ready to show at the first security check point. This would be your Fun/Boarding Pass, ID, and proof of citizenship ie Passport - Birth Certificate.

3. Bring an Ink Pen to fill out the Health Declaration and Credit Card Authorization in the terminal for check-in. If not you will be using one that everyone else has touched.
Sponsored Links
Old June 13th, 2011, 08:20 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I would also add, to have your credit card handy for your onboard expenses. If you plan on do any swimming or sitting at the pool, have a swim suit in your carry on, it will be awhile before your luggage arrives in your cabin.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 13th, 2011, 09:03 AM
Admiral

We find cruising out of Southampton UK, that if we get there at about 11am instead of 2pm as they suggest, we get straight on the ship & have lunch, if we leave it until later we queue for a couple of hours & lunch has been eaten by those arriving esarly!
Old June 13th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Used to be that arriving early was what the 'experienced' cruisers did on embarkation day. Now everyone tends to arrive early. The easiest embarkation is now wait until after the rush. No lines at all. You may miss your lido lunch, but they won't run out of food.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old June 13th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Last week on Liberty we arrived later than we normally do. It was around 1:00p.m. and the lines were actually shorter than what we've experienced, in our last few cruises, when arriving at 11:00 or 11:30 a.m..

I have to say that I really didn't like all the "kiosks" in the check-in area. Go here and drop off form. Go there and scan passports for check-in and get ticket. Go to another line and hand ticket to agent and receive Sign and Sail then go around and get on ship. I know the automation saves check-in personnel but it was somewhat confusing for many people.

One tip for embarkation. Bring a small carry-on with just the necessary items. You will have to lug it around until the cabins open up.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 13th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozeman View Post
Used to be that arriving early was what the 'experienced' cruisers did on embarkation day. Now everyone tends to arrive early. The easiest embarkation is now wait until after the rush. No lines at all. You may miss your lido lunch, but they won't run out of food.
True... but here I think a great many arrive at the apppointed time ...especially those being transported by fleets of coaches.

Last edited by johnthed0g; June 13th, 2011 at 11:16 AM. Reason: sp
Old June 13th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Familiar Face

When boarding in Long Beach, California we got there around 1 1/2 before departure and it was a breeze. The terminal was almost empty and it took us less than 20 minutes to check in.
Old June 13th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Its all about attitude. I get to the ship and I will not be hasseled by anything or anyone. Its the start of my vacation and I am just in a great mood. I know that I will wait in line, there will be crowds and there will be some unhappy people. I just relax and enjoy the experience. As they say in Jamaica "No problem mahn"
Old June 13th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Captain

Being platinum, and usually parking at a hotel or offsite, my car isnt in anyone's way... and I get on the ship first and dont have picked over buffet, get to it first.

I like not having the buffet foods all picked over, so its worth it to me to arrive early enough to board VIP. Im in the arrive before 11 am camp.

My tip is never pay the port parking fees, find a hotel that allows parking during your cruise, and go there the night before and relax. Start your vacation a day early.
Old June 13th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to Curtis McCrea Send a message via MSN to Curtis McCrea Send a message via Yahoo to Curtis McCrea Send a message via Skype™ to Curtis McCrea

Not sure if these are already said, but:

- We arrive early, either at the time the terminal opens, or a little bit before.

- Do online check-in, when we were checking in the person we got said we made her day by having checked-in online, which saves her, as well as the passenger, time. There were people taking much longer because they had to fill out all the documents at the desk.

Cruises Past and Future:

Carnival Sensation - March 4 2010
Carnival Destiny - October 29 2012

Old June 13th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Captain

mlke

i will going on the liberty in a couple months i have never use the
kiosks could you explain this to me and give me some tips thank you so much