Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 13th, 2011, 11:39 PM
Familiar Face

Default Choosing between two Carnival ships

More newbie questions! I've decided on Cozumel for sure and the few options I'm looking at include either the Inspiration or the Elation. I understand these are both from the same "group" (whatever they call it) of ships from the 90s. Are they pretty much the same? Is one better than the other? If it makes any difference, the Inspiration goes to Cozumel and Grand Caymen and the Elation goes to Cozumel and Yucatan.

Oh and Inspiration is going out of Tampa and Elation out of New Orleans. I'm in Atlanta and that's probably a pretty similar drive for both I think. My travel agent/friend seems to be mentioning Tampa more but not sure why she'd prefer one departure port over another.
Sponsored Links
Old June 14th, 2011, 12:49 AM
Captain

Iv been on Elation twice recently, to Cozumel and Progresso and Cozumel and Calica. So, Im guessing you mean Progresso?? If you like ruins Progresso is a great port, close to several. Great prices on excursions from AutoProgresso when you get off the free bus down the pier.

I would assume you are coming in the day before. Which appeals more French Qtr or Tampa? French Qtr you can walk to a lot of things.

Elation is said to be one of the prettiest ships with its peacock theme. Im partial to Ecstasy, but thats because of the CD mostly, other than that its a toss up.

Elation doesnt have water works, but it does have a nice slide into the pool and serenity area.
Old June 14th, 2011, 12:59 AM
Familiar Face

I'm sorry, I don't know where I got Yucatan from-I swear all this cruise stuff is just melting into one big clump for me lol. I'm trying! Yes, it's Progresso. My friend says it's more primitive there. Also, we'll be driving in the same day as departure, so no sightseeing before we go.
Old June 14th, 2011, 08:03 AM
Admiral

Don't worry - Progreso (one S as Snoozeman will point out) is on the northern side of the Yucatan peninsula.
As you indicate both are Fantasy class ships (named for the first ship of it's type) so your cruising experience will be similar. Check out Carnival's website and browse for photos of the two ships to get an idea of the decor.
Ultimately, I would choose the itinerary that you find most interesting.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old June 14th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Admiral

I pretty much agree with the above information. I personally LOVE "Inspiration" having sailed that ship 4 or 5 times. We do live close to the port of Tampa, and find that port VERY easy to embark/disembark from. Parking is easy at the port, or there are a bunch of hotel/motels locally which offer "park and sail" where you can leave your car, while aboard the ship, and avoid paying for parking at the port. I personally prefer Grand Cayman to Progresso, but once again, that's a matter of what you prefer to do, at a port.
Either cruise will be a winner, however I prefer "Inspiration".

"SKY"
Old June 14th, 2011, 10:00 AM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to Curtis McCrea Send a message via MSN to Curtis McCrea Send a message via Yahoo to Curtis McCrea Send a message via Skype™ to Curtis McCrea

I would choose the one that has the best price, and itinerary.

Cruises Past and Future:

Carnival Sensation - March 4 2010
Carnival Destiny - October 29 2012

Old June 14th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

I would choose New Orleans and the Elation for a couple reasons. First, I think New Orleans is a bit more interesting city to cruise from, and the port is really within walking distance to all the historic stuff. Second, we are really interested in ruins and Progreso is closest to Chichen Itza. Either way, you should have a blast!
Old June 27th, 2011, 05:21 AM
david30101

Go out of New Or, do it during summer or late spring, It will still be daylight most of way down missisippi so you can see the senery. I took a cruise out of there in jan and it was dark by 6pm. Didnt see anything. It takes a few hours 4-5 just reach the gulf.
Old June 28th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Familiar Face

I LOVE INSPIRATION! Great port, great ship, great people! IMO, the Inspiration is always chock full of locals. Many many Floridians grabbing just a quick getaway from home. And being the Florida Girl, this is vibe I look for.

Also, Inspiration tends to be a bit of a party ship. Lots of drinking, lots of fun, many 30s - 40s to be found. If that's the tone you are looking for, you've found your ship.
Old June 28th, 2011, 01:54 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd View Post
Don't worry - Progreso (one S as Snoozeman will point out) is on the northern side of the Yucatan peninsula.
Spelling was never my strong point, you are correct.

Elation out of Mobile goes to both progreso and calica, and calica also considers itself yucatan was why I asked.

I didnt realize the OP wasnt going to go until after the ship moved to New Orleans (I just reread their post and still dont see the time frame so unclear why people are assuming it has to be out of new orleans), or I would have known which ports. Yes, out of New Orleans it would be Progreso.

The downside to Elation is no waterworks, just the one slide and no balconys. .. its not updated. The upside is its such a pretty ship and its close enough for me to drive
Old June 28th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Hi, I cannot offer any advice on either ship as I have never been on either. I will say that I have been on Carnival 11 times and so far not a bad time on any ship. I was glad to see Skymaster's endorsement of Inspiration as I am sailing this ship for the first time in November. Whichever ship you choose I hope you have "The time of your life".

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old June 28th, 2011, 11:26 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruznut2 View Post
Hi, I cannot offer any advice on either ship as I have never been on either. I will say that I have been on Carnival 11 times and so far not a bad time on any ship. I was glad to see Skymaster's endorsement of Inspiration as I am sailing this ship for the first time in November. Whichever ship you choose I hope you have "The time of your life".

Laura
Which cruise in November? I decided on the Inspiration leaving from Tampa on Nov 28. This is my first cruise and 5 months is toooo far away!
Old July 17th, 2011, 09:33 PM
david30101

I was on Inspiration last nov out of tampa. If you like to see the ship going under the "skyway" bridge, you need to get assigned late seating for dinner. As this happens around 6-630 pm and early seating people usually miss the event, like me... . Oh well, seen 1 bridge, you seen them all. I did go under the Golden gate and the Bridge of Americas....
Old July 24th, 2011, 10:41 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Being from Florida and a frequent visitor to Tampa it will be great to see the skyway bridge from the cruise boat I Have only seen it from our boat or from driving out it... will be nice I'm sure. :-)